DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Marvel's Executive VP on Publishing today on exactly what we've been talking about:

They haven't even released films on any characters outside of Batman, Superman and Green Lantern yet.  They are coming but they aren't here yet. They didn't change any main aspects of Superman and while the Green Lantern movie was pretty terrible...  they didn't really change much about the character or his origin. 

Superman Returns was the Donner Superman. It received decent reviews but didn't exactly set the box office on fire. It was a very mixed reaction from fans. Man of Steel was an origin film, a fresh start and it did around $650M worldwide if I'm remembering it right.  Not a huge success but not a fucking bomb either.

The Nolan Batman movies were colossal hits. 

So, where is all this "they've changed this" or they are "scared to do this" coming from?  It sounds like he's talking out his ass.

If Batman v. Superman bombs at the box office then maybe he will have a point. If it's a huge success then he can kindly fuck off.

So, where is all this "they've changed this" or they are "scared to do this" coming from?  It sounds like he's talking out his ass.

He was asked a question based on a supposition, and responded with a statement (which hypothetically accepted said supposition) full of 'if' and 'it feels like' and 'maybe I'm talking out of my ass'. Why do you want him to fuck off? It's not like he said 'DC are making shit movies because they're a bunch of useless arse suckers'. Would you rather nobody say anything ever?

He was asked a question based on a supposition, and responded with a statement (which hypothetically accepted said supposition) full of 'if' and 'it feels like' and 'maybe I'm talking out of my ass'. Why do you want him to fuck off? It's not like he said 'DC are making shit movies because they're a bunch of useless arse suckers'. Would you rather nobody say anything ever?

Which movies was he talking about? What movies outside of Man of Steel have they made? 

Fuck all doubters.  Jared Leto is going to be fucking huge in this Suicide Squad movie.  He is going to toss way more effort into this role than it probably deserves.

Are there actually large number of people unhappy with him in the role?

He was asked: "Why is DC focusing on making it's characters gritty as Marvel keeps outselling them with the more modern approach? It feels so silly and weird and as behind the time(sic) as I'm sure they seemed when Marvel first came to the spotlight?"

How would you have him respond to that question? How would you respond to it? Other than asking the questioner to re-word the question it until it made a bit  more sense, like?

Yeah, I would ask him what he's talking about.  He said Marvel keeps outselling DC. He said they've made all their characters dark and gritty. 

In what way?  The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises both went over a billion dollars at the box office. The only other movie that came out around that time was Green Lantern and it was shit and a failure but it was far from "dark and gritty" 

The only movie they've produced in their new cinematic universe is Man of Steel.  The question made no sense and his answer made no sense.

There should be an equation where you balance track record, interviews, leaked information, etc, with being chastised for judging something in advance. There's a pretty healthy balance to be found. People can have a pretty good idea of what Avengers will be like right now, or Fantastic Four, or pretty much anything, some things more than less. I think Superman vs Batman is in the "more" category. 

I hope nobody wants to discuss the Age of Ultron....comic.  Yuck.   Yes, I do have a pretty good idea what the movie version will be like.  Thor cracking jokes. Cap cracking jokes. All of the characters being interchangeable. No real character development for the miracles or Vision.  Ultron being one of Tony's.  A big battle scene at the end vs. the chitauri robots that would look better if it were filmed by any other director. The stakes are low. The causalities are high.A few more "witty" one liners.

We'll still watch it. Popcorn is popcorn.

Fuck all doubters.  Jared Leto is going to be fucking huge in this Suicide Squad movie.  He is going to toss way more effort into this role than it probably deserves.

Yep, mostly from leagues of Nolanites who don't want any actor ever to play the Joker ever again since Ledger is dead.

Yep, mostly from leagues of Nolanites who don't want any actor ever to play the Joker ever again since Ledger is dead.

I didn't realize. I don't have a problem with him one way or the other since i have seen him in only maybe one film which I don't remember well. I just don't like Joker being in a Suicide Squad movie in general.

• Like 1

The leaks coming from the Suicide Squad preproduction made it sound like the solo Batman movie will be an adaptation of book 3 of DKR. They're pretty much doing DKR, just out of order.

Why can't I get an adaptation of The Long Halloween over two movies or three movies?

• Like 1

The leaks coming from the Suicide Squad preproduction made it sound like the solo Batman movie will be an adaptation of book 3 of DKR. They're pretty much doing DKR, just out of order.

Why can't I get an adaptation of The Long Halloween over two movies or three movies?

Seriously, enough with Year One &  Knightfall. The Long Halloween would be epic.

• Like 1

Seriously, enough with Year One &  Knightfall. The Long Halloween would be epic.

With things the way they are it'll never happen, but The Long Halloween would be perfect as a binge series for Netflix.

Love The Long Halloween so I support this idea.

• Like 1