DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

My buddies and I didn't grow up with the Donner Superman. There has always been a disconnect between what we like to see from Superman and what others who did grow up in that era want to see.

Just for the record, Superman in his fight with Doomsday spent the whole thing finding evacuated buildings to small Doomsday into and trying to get him out of the city. That's like half his thought balloons.

My argument remains: If the story you are telling needs to be dark and gloomy... It's not a Superman story.

I agree with both of these points.  To me, the Donner Superman is my ideal version of the character.  It represents what I love about Superman.  It makes me feel like anyone can be Superman in their own way.  BUT, I know lots of folks hate that version of the character, they see it as hokey or whatever.

Just for the record, Superman in his fight with Doomsday spent the whole thing finding evacuated buildings to small Doomsday into and trying to get him out of the city. That's like half his thought balloons.

My argument remains: If the story you are telling needs to be dark and gloomy... It's not a Superman story.

He, and others, tried to stop him from getting to Metropolis. Once he was there, there were plenty of people around. One of the exchanges between Doomsday and Superman causes all of the windows in a high rise to shatter and rain down onto the street...where there's an audience of people. The two seemingly have an audience everywhere they go and a shitload of damage is done to the city, including blowing up Newtown.

I feel your argument remains weak. You been saying the "it's not a Superman story" for a long time now without acknowledging certain realities or ignoring how there are many times where Superman is dark and gloomy. You would be better off saying "it's not a Superman story to me" or "it's not a Superman story I want to see."

• Like 1

Was that an experienced Superman and a farm boy in his first fight? Don't tell me you haven't seen experienced Superman fighting in metropolitan areas because it happens all the time.

Also, I definitely grew up during that Superman and Superman 2 era. Shit, I've probably watched Superman 3 and 4 way too many times. I liked those movies back then. Well, maybe not 4, but I did watch it enough times. Then I realized those movies were completely nonsensical.

• Lex is ALWAYS the villain and always SUCKS.
  • There's no fucking way his first plan should even succeed.
  • Lex is a complete buffoon. Just a total asshole. The only reason why he doesn't look like a total joke is because of his lackey, whose name still escapes me.
  • Clark Kent is corny and boring as fuck.
  • Superman says the corniest shit. It's like the most base Spider-Man level quips, but worse.
  • In the first movie, Superman arguably ends all life on earth by spinning the planet in reverse, but because the movie is comically bad, his scheme works. By the way, not one fucking person ever talks about Superman losing his shit in that movie and getting all sad.
  • How did one person not step forward and say the idea of spinning the planet backwards was the dumbest idea ever?
  • Superman 2 is alright and has some cool scenes, but again, Superman gets all sad and no one talks about that shit.
  • Wiping Lois' memory with a kiss? For real? I guess we're just continuing to make shit up as we go.
  • I don't really need to cover the many, many, many reasons why Superman 3 and 4 are completely awful.

All of the above just make me cringe thinking about it and are contained in so-called "Superman stories," so when I see stuff like "Man of Steel wasn't a Superman story" I wonder how everything I described above is remotely acceptable. If Man of Steel isn't a Superman movie, then all of the Christopher Reeves movies sure as shit aren't either.

The critics loved Superman Returns and were lukewarm on Man of Steel while the fan reaction at least on Rotten Tomatoes is the opposite. I don't know. I think the issue is that there are so many iterations now if someone isn't seeing their Superman on screen then he must be shit..

I'm wondering how much Batman v. Superman will make at the box office. Furious 7 is about to do $1.3 billion. Is that a possibility for this? I mean I love the Fast franchise and even I don't know how the fuck it's doing that.. 

I thought Man of Steel was a decent movie from a technical standpoint which completely failed to be what I want from a Superman movie.  I'd probably enjoy a movie with the golden-age version of the character though.   Regardless of how well they're made, i haven't enjoyed most of the recent DC movies.  The Nolan Batman films are worth seeing once, but I have no desire to see them again even if they're free on cable.

I know I'm supposed to have a couple paragraphs ready to defend my position and explain why I'm right and y'all are wrong, but, yeah, I don't have any of that.  I may not even be right.  Maybe Man of Steel was a great movie and I'm too dumb to appreciate it.  Dunno.  Doesn't really matter.  "DC movies aren't fun for me and I'm not spending any more money on them" isn't really a well-reasoned argument on my part, but I'm going to run with it anyway. 

Clearly, I suck at internet.

• Like 1

This is a little off topic but I can see why some people wouldn't like this version of Superman just as some will probably hate the new Star Wars.

I don't know a lot about Star Trek.  I enjoyed the first J.J. one but have not seen the second. I hear he altered a lot of things about the characters.  I imagine that must have pissed a lot of people off. Was that a thing on this board and other sites?

My big thing about the trailer is that there's no contrast. We get Kal brooding/grimacing with people reaching out to touch him(and honestly, the Jesus allegory is fucking annoying), stopping something from falling, and his face covered in shadows in the other times he shows up(with two of times being homages to when he was a government stooge and a homicidal maniac). Why can't he be shown saving people and smiling while having that pro-Supes quote played over the top and then the "False God" graffiti/Batman stuff have Lex's quote over it? Hell, why not do an homage to All-Star Supes and show him comforting that suicidal teen?

There's so many better ways to have presented Supes than what they actually went with and oddly enough Synder did it much better with MoS's first teaser with young Clark running around in the yard with the red cape and Superman flying up into the atmosphere.

• Like 1

Why can't he be shown saving people and smiling while having that pro-Supes quote played over the top and then the "False God" graffiti/Batman stuff have Lex's quote over it?

There are gonna be other trailers after this. We are 11 months out.

This is a little off topic but I can see why some people wouldn't like this version of Superman just as some will probably hate the new Star Wars.

I don't know a lot about Star Trek.  I enjoyed the first J.J. one but have not seen the second. I hear he altered a lot of things about the characters.  I imagine that must have pissed a lot of people off. Was that a thing on this board and other sites?

I dont recall a lot of JJ Trek talk here. It doesnt seem like there is much of any on a regular basis, compared to SW or Doctor Who.

Yes, i hated it. Didnt want to see the second one. :)

I know I've actively blasted Into Darkness for a whole lot of reasons, which is why I still have little faith in the new Star Wars, but will at least give it a shot, because the first Trek was pretty good.

And I like Snyder, so this will get a shot.

There was a bit of anti-Into Darkness stuff around here.

The thing I found hilarious was Into Darkness re-presented Khan, and had him played as a calm and cool sociopath, as opposed to the screaming madman in WoK.  While, the same year, MoS re-presented Zod, and played him as a screaming madman, as opposed to the mostly calm and cool sociopath of Superman II.

Why can't he be shown saving people and smiling while having that pro-Supes quote played over the top and then the "False God" graffiti/Batman stuff have Lex's quote over it?

Obviously, but why not dispel a lot of the perceived issues with MoS in your first teaser instead of going "Hey, it's more of the same stuff a lot of you didn't like from the last movie only with Batman thrown in!"?

Obviously, but why not dispel a lot of the perceived issues with MoS in your first teaser instead of going "Hey, it's more of the same stuff a lot of you didn't like from the last movie only with Batman thrown in!"?

Because you're gonna have eleven months to do that along with the actual release of the movie. From the response, apparently, it ain't that obvious.

My main issues with Man of Steel -

The handling of Clarks 'secret' identity is terrible.    

The death of Johnathon Kent.  This makes no sense whatsoever and pretty much ruined any enjoyment I was getting out of the movie for the rest of the film.  His Dad is a bad person and so is he. 

"Y'see, to them.  You're just a freak.... Like me.."

rs_634x1024-150420091633-634.Jared-Leto-

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!

Fuck all doubters.  Jared Leto is going to be fucking huge in this Suicide Squad movie.  He is going to toss way more effort into this role than it probably deserves.

EDIT: Was this the pic you were posting, Ligerbusa?  Your link is broken so I can't see the image anymore.

• Like 1

OMG Jared Leto is translucent

The sad thing is that assholes will probably still try to hate since Leto's Joker looks like he is going the chem bath origin route rather than Ledger's warpaint route.

Some people will never be happy.

• Like 2