DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

The shot of Affleck just (apparently) watching the tv is bad-ass.  But, then, I'm the guy that was all in on Affleck the day he was rumored for the role (I maintain he's a significantly better actor than Bale, btw)

I think the light-up Bat eyes look stupid as hell, to be honest.  Also, I'm a dick, but I always root for one thing in Superman/Batman fights:  "Throw the rich boy into the sun already, Supes!"

It was pretty clear that Bats was wearing power armor similar to TDK. The light-up eyes fit in well I'd say. I also love the digitized Batman voice, as opposed to the Christian Bale Bat-growl. Makes more sense that Batman would disguise his voice with gadgetry, especially if he's wearing the exosuit.

Does Zack Snyder divide opinion? I like Watchmen and Man of Steel, more the former. I can also say I really like all the main costumes in them, the ones for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice are on another level.

I love Man of Steel. It was everything I've wanted out of a Superman movie. You have an insanely over-powered being on your planet fighting other over-powered beings. Fights shouldn't look like they did in Superman 2, or any of the Superman movies really. If you're faster than a speeding bullet, you should move like it. With that increased velocity and power, there's also going to be some destruction. A lot of people cited the destruction to Metropolis as the main reason for their distaste because Superman wouldn't harm that many people. Those people forget all of that destruction happened from the terraforming machines. By the time the Superman/Zod fight started, the city, or at least the larger buildings, were already mostly evacuated after the terraforming machines were shut down, thanks to Superman doing the heavy lifting on the opposite side of the planet. Superman arrives back in Metropolis, not even knowing that Zod was still alive, so when the fight starts, it's not like he can immediately take the fight out of the city.

My one complaint about the Superman/Zod fight was how it ended, and I'm not talking about killing Zod. I'm fine with Superman killing Zod if the lesson learned is that he'll never kill again. No, the problem I had was that Superman displays such incredible power, but he can't stop Zod from turn his head to laser that family? That part seemed pretty dumb. Based on everything we saw, Superman should easily be able to hold Zod's head still, or better yet, Superman could have just flown off with Zod in his grasp, not to mention that the family could have just run away instead of standing there like a bunch of red shirts.

So that said, I think Zack Snyder did a really impressive job. His remake of Dawn of the Dead, at least the first part of it, scared the shit out of me, and I initially hated the fast moving zombies outside of 28 Days Later. I like 300, it's cool. Watchman is alright, but it drags a bit. I didn't like Sucker Punch at all. 

• Like 1

Does Zack Snyder divide opinion? I like Watchmen and Man of Steel, more the former. I can also say I really like all the main costumes in them, the ones for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice are on another level.

Since the conversation has gone on for a long ass time, the answer to your question is "yes".  You have people like Craig H who loved it, then people like myself and Fowler on the complete opposite end.  I thought Watchmen was fantastic.  Sucker Punch was buttcheeks.

I really liked Watchmen. Enjoyed Sucker Punch though I wouldn't call it a good movie. I like parts of Man of Steel though again I couldn't call it a good movie overall. I'm suspecting I will feel similarly about Dawn of Justice which feels like it has too many people, and some castings I'm not really fond of.

My two biggest complaints about Man of Steel revolve around turning Supes into a mopey ass sad sack who is driven by fear and does what he's told more than what's right to a point. Basically a lot of it is down to the Jonathan Kent stuff which, while perfectly acted, is just the wrong approach for the character to me. It's using unnecessary tragedy as a shortcut to the perception of depth and it's so obvious it makes me mad. That's not even a criticism I have of this movie specifically as much as the Hollywood structure right now. Even something fun like Big Hero 6 can't get by without everyone rolling stages of grief. It's frustrating.

Anyway, point B is that I don't mind the destruction in the last Zod fight or Superman killing him. I dig Max Landis' take of "I don't have a code. I just generally don't kill people because I don't have to." Here he had to and that's fine. Zod Had nearly powered up to the same level and Superman had never been in a real fight before in his life while facing a guy who was literally bred and raised to be a combatant.

But there's the problem. None of the action sold this. It wasn't Zod kicking the shit out of Supes only for Supes to pull something out by using his knowledge of his powers or something. Zod wasn't using civilians to distract Supes and get cheap advantages. It was just two guys hitting each other in rotomotion until a death scene that was both obvious and trite which had the bonus of PROVING ZOD RIGHT.

Basically they had a chance to sell those decisions and instead they did a generic fight scene. Which sort of sums up my problems with Man of Steel, Zack Snyder, and my concerns for Superman v Batman all at once.

• Like 2

I'm not sure you can say Superman was doing what he is told. His earth Dad wanted him to hide his powers because he didn't think the world was ready to see that shit.  Despite this, Superman is seen saving people, the scene with the oil tanker and shit..  he saved the bus full of kids when he was younger.  Basically he is doing what he thinks is right the entire time.

I never got the criticism that he wasn't "saving people"..  that's exactly what he was doing throughout most of the movie. Also, about taking the fight out of the city near the end. It's his first fight against a dude in Zod who is a warrior and he's also dealing with other Kryptonians. 

This wasn't a situation like Avengers where there is a team and one guy can do this and one guy can take on this task...  Plus, I mean Daredevil confirms that hundreds died in the 'Battle of New York'  so even they didn't do a great job of saving humanity. 

I'm pretty sure Superman's famous fight with Doomsday takes place right in the middle of Metropolis. Sometimes you just gottta fight dudes.

Back to Batman v. Superman.  You can see from the teaser that there is a debate going on.  There's a statue of Superman and if you look closely it is a monument for those who died in that attack from Zod and co.  People are worshipping Superman and love him but there are others questioning his place in the world. They are questioning the property damage and everything that happened, his powers, etc. That's where Lex will come in to play as I expect he will be responsible for rebuilding a lot of the city. 

Batman is a grizzled vet and he's obviously one of the people who thinks Superman isn't what the world needs. It looks like a lot of it will be taken straight from The Dark Knight Returns but we'll see. 

I don't know why some people want all of their comic book movies to have comic relief and banter going back and forth between the heroes. The one issue with Avengers is that Joss wrote Thor exactly how he wrote Cap exactly how he wrote Tony Stark.  Every character was trying to get their jokes in. It was fun but it didn't do much to differentiate the team.

Snyder has his critics. He's like the Triple H of directing. Some will hate him no matter what he does. Even if this turns out to be a great movie I don't expect to see a Rotten Tomatoes score above 70%

Most people thought The Dark Knight Rises was Nolan's worst film and I'll admit it has its issues.  I liked a lot of it but it has some obvious flaws. Even so, if you go over to Rotten Tomatoes it's I believe at like 88%.  Some directors can do no wrong. 

I like that Chris Terrio wrote the screenplay. I'm sure Goyer will still have his stuff in there but with Terrio.. I think we can expect a more intelligent script.

I don't so much want comic movies to have everyone cracking wise all the time(unless that is the character, like Spider-Man), but a bleak, dark tone is just so un-Superman, and it took me out of the film more than just about anything else.  I've said before that I want fantastic and inspirational from Superman, and I didn't feel that at all.  Whoever said that the tone should be more like The Flash tv show is spot on.  His tone should contrast Batman, not be the same.

Watched the trailer 3 times now and my thoughts are;

Batmans voice-changer thingy is like the smartest thing ever.

What age is Lex Luthor in this?

Luthors line about "devils falling from the sky" is fantastic.

Affleck looks great as Bruce Wayne

• Like 4

I think Man of Steel needed to be a little 'dark'..given his background and the story they were telling. He wasn't Superman yet. He was still finding himself. I know there are people who didn't want that to be the story. He did crack some jokes in there. He did smile. Amy Addams was charming.  Don't nobody try to tell me she wasn't charming. :)

I'm still confused when people say Man of Steel was bleak or dark. It makes me think they're honing in on the dream sequence, Supes destroying the terraformer, killing Zod, the destruction in the city and nothing else. I mean, what should have happened? Should the fight have happened out in a field with the sun shining and Supes being all smiles? Does no one remember him learning to fly, saving the kids on the school bus, Chris Meloni and his soldiers learning to trust Superman, etc.? I feel like the expectation is that Superman should have been doing the cornball shit in the Christopher Reeves movies, like saving a cat stuck in a tree, or that the villain should once again have been Lex doing the same dumb shit and he should have a lackey taking pratfalls.

Just for the record, Superman in his fight with Doomsday spent the whole thing finding evacuated buildings to small Doomsday into and trying to get him out of the city. That's like half his thought balloons.

My argument remains: If the story you are telling needs to be dark and gloomy... It's not a Superman story.

• Like 2

I'm still confused when people say Man of Steel was bleak or dark. It makes me think they're honing in on the dream sequence, Supes destroying the terraformer, killing Zod, the destruction in the city and nothing else. I mean, what should have happened? Should the fight have happened out in a field with the sun shining and Supes being all smiles? Does no one remember him learning to fly, saving the kids on the school bus, Chris Meloni and his soldiers learning to trust Superman, etc.? I feel like the expectation is that Superman should have been doing the cornball shit in the Christopher Reeves movies, like saving a cat stuck in a tree, or that the villain should once again have been Lex doing the same dumb shit and he should have a lackey taking pratfalls.

I am more of Craig's stance, but I can definitely see points on both sides. It's nothing I would argue vehemently because it's one movie and most likely the end of that era with Legendary being gone as well as the Nolans save for EP credits. So essentially, it was a movie made in a lame duck era.

From the small spoilers and tidbits, it sounds like it's not gonna get "dark" until Batman shows up and Superman is full swing before that. All the stuff in the teaser trailer is just that: a teaser.