DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

The shot of Affleck just (apparently) watching the tv is bad-ass.  But, then, I'm the guy that was all in on Affleck the day he was rumored for the role (I maintain he's a significantly better actor than Bale, btw)"

Batfleck came across infinitely more badass in general than I had expected from him. Which is good because I maintain Brandon Routh delivered a significantly better performance than Cavill.

• Like 1

Superman Returns is a really good movie that was completely misguided.

I still still still don't understand a.) What made Singer think "Superman as an art-house film about old boyfriends coming back" was a going to sell or b.) how the fuck he convinced Warner Bros to let him make that movie.

I really love the movie, but god damn was it a weird set of choices.

(It's way fucking better than Man of Steel in almost every way, except a vastly inferior Lois Lane though)

• Like 1

The shot of Affleck just (apparently) watching the tv is bad-ass.  But, then, I'm the guy that was all in on Affleck the day he was rumored for the role (I maintain he's a significantly better actor than Bale, btw)"

Batfleck came across infinitely more badass in general than I had expected from him. Which is good because I maintain Brandon Routh delivered a significantly better performance than Cavill.

Cavill is a very bland actor, IMO. Not quite Chris Pine levels, but still. He doesn't have it. No matter what studios what us to believe.

You know things are bad when Affleck (who tends to be inconsistent in the charisma department himself depending on the movie) is blowing you off screen with his gravitas and presence.

I think Affleck might end up being the best thing in this.

Cavill is a very bland actor, IMO. Not quite Chris Pine levels, but still. He doesn't have it. No matter what studios what us to believe.

You know things are bad when Affleck (who tends to be inconsistent in the charisma department himself depending on the movie) is blowing you off screen with his gravitas and presence.

I think Affleck might end up being the best thing in this.

In Pine's defense, he was shockingly good in Into the Woods.

• Like 1

SPOILER ALERT no one smiles in a DC movie.

I know you're as shocked as I am.

I wonder how much slow motion Snyder will sneak in.

(It's way fucking better than Man of Steel in almost every way, except a vastly inferior Lois Lane though)

Will the three of you watch this film and also what would your version of the DC cinematic universe look like? If you were filming a Batman movie what tone would you go with?

Yes, I'm going to watch it.  Hell, I mostly praised the trailer.  Man of Steel wasn't very good, but I like everything else I've seen by Snyder, and even MoS has Amy Adams being the best non-comic book Lois Lane ever and a pretty good first hour.

As for what it should look like, I'm pretty okay with the direction they took Batman in with Nolan (my problem with the last movie is that it was boring as hell in long stretches, had a running clock time and yet the passage of time was handled terribly, and Bane's voice made it impossible to take him seriously, not the tone.)

Superman should either go all out crazy like All Star Superman, or be like Superman For All Seasons.

The basic universe should feel like early-mid 90's DC, particularly Mark Waid's Flash.

Hal Jordan should never show up on any screen ever again.

Better than Hal.  Not as good as Kyle or Guy, but smarter to use, since A.) He's the one people know for the JL cartoon, and B.) because of A, there was a bunch of people freaking out that they whitewashed GL when the movie came out.

I've seen a lot of people question if it's possible to juggle all of these new characters and make it work. I think the answer is simple. Yes, it can work. Will it work?  I don't know. I've seen a minute of footage from a 2 and a half hour film.  I have seen it work in other films. Days of Future Past was a fine movie. Did Singer really develop most of the characters? No, but most of them got their hits in. 

Avengers: Age of Ultron is facing a similar issue. How much character development do we see for Ultron, Vision, Scarlett Witch and Quiksilver and whoever else they may sneak in there? It remains to be seen.

I mentioned earlier that Chris Terrio rewrote the script. I know a lot of people hate Goyer. Maybe they are right about him. Terrio did a tremendous job with Argo. We'll see what he does with this.  I can't say one way or the other.

So basically everything about Batman is great in that and Superman has all the same problems as MoS, but given how mass audiences have become a bunch of overly cynical babies who think sadness equals depth, maybe that is the best take for the times and I'm just out of touch.

Seriously though, that may be the best Batman costume committed to film. It looks right out of the comics without a cosplay vibe. I dig the Nolan suits but they're so clearly military armour stuff...this looks like comic books.

SPOILER ALERT no one smiles in a DC movie.

I know you're as shocked as I am.

I wonder how much slow motion Snyder will sneak in.

Will the three of you watch this film and also what would your version of the DC cinematic universe look like? If you were filming a Batman movie what tone would you go with?

I'll probably see it in the theater, but I probably won't be there opening day.

As far as tone goes, DC films should match the tone of the Flash TV series. Batman isn't this bleak thing in a bleak world, he's a dark thing in a light world.

• Like 1

As far as tone goes, DC films should match the tone of the Flash TV series. Batman isn't this bleak thing in a bleak world, he's a dark thing in a light world.

It looks like they are taking a lot of this straight out of The Dark Knight Returns. Anyone see the Bat rifle making an appearance there?  

The tone is looking similar to Daredevil on Netflix which I really enjoyed.  I don't believe serious =  depth.  I also don't believe joking around always = fun.  It all depends on the character and the story being told.