DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

Any of the super talented rookies in that draft class would have helped make that Pistons team a dynasty. They had a culture in place of veterans who defended and were tough as hell. You just get sucked into something like that without if the team culture is strong enough. That team had Ben Wallace and Billups and a bunch of other dudes who would stuff a kid against his locker with a meathook forearm if he slacked off on rotations or looked for his own shot first.

I really wish Carmelo ended up on that team. I *LOVED* him at Syracuse. He's my least favorite star-caliber player in the league right now. I'd love to know what his career would have looked like if he ended up on that team. He'd be a better passer, for certain. He'd at least try on defense because he'd have come up accountable on that end.

That team was built for a dynasty with what they had in place. We're seeing the Spurs right now slowly shift the reigns from The Big Three into a team with Kawhi as its best player. Detroit could have done just that.

That whiff of a draft pick is an all-time blunder.

Any of the super talented rookies in that draft class would have helped make that Pistons team a dynasty. They had a culture in place of veterans who defended and were tough as hell. You just get sucked into something like that without if the team culture is strong enough. That team had Ben Wallace and Billups and a bunch of other dudes who would stuff a kid against his locker with a meathook forearm if he slacked off on rotations or looked for his own shot first.

I really wish Carmelo ended up on that team. I *LOVED* him at Syracuse. He's my least favorite star-caliber player in the league right now. I'd love to know what his career would have looked like if he ended up on that team. He'd be a better passer, for certain. He'd at least try on defense because he'd have come up accountable on that end.

That team was built for a dynasty with what they had in place. We're seeing the Spurs right now slowly shift the reigns from The Big Three into a team with Kawhi as its best player. Detroit could have done just that.

That whiff of a draft pick is an all-time blunder.

Carmelo gets a lot of shit for things that he's not necessarily bad at.  His defense isn't bad, he's not a defensive stopper by any means, but he isn't a liability at all.  He is a better, and more willing, passer than he gets credit for, but he plays for a team with little or no supporting talent.  His biggest issue is that his peak as a player would be as the #2 guy on a championship team...except he's too good to be #2 to anyone.  His game would be very complimentary if someone else could be a primary ball handler, because his biggest issue is that he's a ball stopper.  His offensive game is as good as anyone in the entire league, except all the other elite scorers are athletic freaks who work off the dribble which helps their teammates get open.  Carmelo's game is much more focused on old school jab steps, head fakes, and power drives.  Those things get him points, but don't really open things up for anyone else.  When he was on the olympic team he was incredible, because everything didn't have to run through him.  He could spot up to shoot 3s, post up, and take what the defense gave him.  With the Knicks he can't do any of that, because their entire offense is dependent on Carmelo scoring a lot of points.  His career would probably be better if he was a slightly worse player.  He is basically a V12 engine.  If you have a race car it will give you everything you want...but if you have a minivan what the fuck is the point?

I've written about it on this board before, and it's not going to change people's minds, but many advanced statistics show that Carmelo is a very good post defender. Now obviously he isn't a rim protector, and the NBA is at a point where whomever Carmelo is guarding is not just going to bang in the high post all game, so the importance of this is debatable. But it's misleading to say that Carmelo is a true defensive minus. Supreme raised some good points about Carmelo, and he gets a bad rap. Gregg's bizarre hatred of him (more for his personality than anything, it seems) not withstanding, Carmelo is probably undeserving of a lot of the flack that he gets. Any team that has had even a slight bit of talent has won 50 games. Look at that Knicks team that got the 3 seed. It's awful. Those Denver teams look okay on paper but no one on them was even close to their prime. Really, the thing that hurts Carmelo most is that he plays the same position as the two transcendent players, gets paid the same as them, but doesn't have funny commercials. I absolutely think you could make a finals run with Carmelo as the best player on your team, as long as the team was good around him.   

• Like 1

Donovan to OKC is for real.  5 yrs, no word on the money yet.

I'm skeptical about him.  His college teams have historically been average or below-average on shooting 3s and getting to the line, which are the bread and butter of NBA offense these days.

Donovan to OKC is for real.  5 yrs, no word on the money yet.

I'm skeptical about him.  His college teams have historically been average or below-average on shooting 3s and getting to the line, which are the bread and butter of NBA offense these days.

What's to be skeptical about? All he has to do to be successful is:

1. Earn the respect of the 2nd best player in the NBA

2. Implement a new offense

3. Manage a head case superstar

4. Win 60+ games

5. Take his team to at least the conference finals

Because Jim Dolan is a never-ending font of terrible ideas, Isiah Thomas will be the new president of the New York Liberty.

Stop laughing.

No, really.

I mean it.

This isn't funny.

Dammit, I can't even type this with a straight face.

On the one hand it's probably pretty awesome to be bros with James Dolan because you're guaranteed a high-profile six-figure job no matter what kind of degenerate fuckup you are.

On the other hand he probably expects you to go to all of his band's shows and who has the patience for that?