DVDVR Message Board

Things you were wrong about

Reed

I would have bet that the cast of Friday Night Lights was going to next crop of movie stars. Michael B. Jordan is the only one who has a chance...and he's in the new Fantastic Four. 

How is Tim Riggins not the biggest movie star on the planet?  I guess he still has it pretty good, and True Detective will surely help, but that dude should be making all the money.

Michael B. Jordan also has the Rocky spinoff coming up.  That could be big.

I predicted that the actors who played Ryan O'Reilly and Vern Schillinger on Oz would be major stars after that series ended.

What are they doing today? Fucking insurance commercials...

JK Simmons has pretty much the career I would expect of him ... rock solid character actor, decent run on The Closer with some failed attempts at sitcoms, go-to guy for Coen Brothers movies, and capped by a once in a lifetime role to get a supporting actor Oscar. Dean Winters didn't become as big as it looked like he could have, granted his career got sidetracked by illness but he wasn't really blowing up before that.

• Like 1

I thought Temptation Island was going to be the biggest reality show ever.  It was a show about putting the 3 best looking, horniest couples possible on an island and made them go on dates with all the other couples.  Shocker of shockers all of those people ended up sleeping with each other.  Why did that show only last one season?  I was probably 19 or 20 when that show was on and it was the biggest topic of conversation at my job.  For what it's worth I worked at a place where everyone was sleeping with each other so I guess we could relate.

• Like 1

I predicted that the actors who played Ryan O'Reilly and Vern Schillinger on Oz would be major stars after that series ended.

What are they doing today? Fucking insurance commercials...

JK Simmons has pretty much the career I would expect of him ... rock solid character actor, decent run on The Closer with some failed attempts at sitcoms, go-to guy for Coen Brothers movies, and capped by a once in a lifetime role to get a supporting actor Oscar. Dean Winters didn't become as big as it looked like he could have, granted his career got sidetracked by illness but he wasn't really blowing up before that.

I thought that Eamon Walker (Kareem Said) would have a bigger career than he did.

I thought Temptation Island was going to be the biggest reality show ever.  It was a show about putting the 3 best looking, horniest couples possible on an island and made them go on dates with all the other couples.  Shocker of shockers all of those people ended up sleeping with each other.  Why did that show only last one season?  I was probably 19 or 20 when that show was on and it was the biggest topic of conversation at my job.  For what it's worth I worked at a place where everyone was sleeping with each other so I guess we could relate.

Actually the show aired for three seasons.

The first season was a ratings success, but Seasons 2 and 3 failed to make a dent in the ratings.

JD

I would have bet that the cast of Friday Night Lights was going to next crop of movie stars. Michael B. Jordan is the only one who has a chance...and he's in the new Fantastic Four. 

How is Tim Riggins not the biggest movie star on the planet?  I guess he still has it pretty good, and True Detective will surely help, but that dude should be making all the money.

Michael B. Jordan also has the Rocky spinoff coming up.  That could be big.

He was terrific in Fruitvale Station.

I would have bet that the cast of Friday Night Lights was going to next crop of movie stars. Michael B. Jordan is the only one who has a chance...and he's in the new Fantastic Four.

How is Tim Riggins not the biggest movie star on the planet? I guess he still has it pretty good, and True Detective will surely help, but that dude should be making all the money.

Michael B. Jordan also has the Rocky spinoff coming up. That could be big.

Im guessing John Carter didn't do Riggins any favors in terms of him being able to carry a movie. Im surprised Saracen and Jason Street don't turn up more often. I guess Tyra shows up in quite a few things. Yes I know all these people have real names Im just too lazy to look them up.

I would have bet that the cast of Friday Night Lights was going to next crop of movie stars. Michael B. Jordan is the only one who has a chance...and he's in the new Fantastic Four.

How is Tim Riggins not the biggest movie star on the planet? I guess he still has it pretty good, and True Detective will surely help, but that dude should be making all the money.

Michael B. Jordan also has the Rocky spinoff coming up. That could be big.

Im guessing John Carter didn't do Riggins any favors in terms of him being able to carry a movie. Im surprised Saracen and Jason Street don't turn up more often. I guess Tyra shows up in quite a few things. Yes I know all these people have real names Im just too lazy to look them up.

Tyra's problem is that she is almost 6 feet tall when most of the guys in Hollywood aren't anywhere close to that tall.  She would tower over most of the leading men working these days.  I, not being very tall myself, am secure enough that I'd let her tower all over me.

I thought I'd enjoy Agents of SHIELD.

Really missed the mark on that one.

See, I always thought a show with the premise of "Well, the real stars aren't here" was always going to be a patchy idea. It's even more glaring when they get Samuel L Jackson to make a short cameo and his movie star charisma just blows everyone else away.

I'm a couple of episodes into Daredevil and it has a way better approach: It don't constantly reference The Avengers and we know, hey, this guy is big frigging deal on his own.

Eamonn Walker's problem is that Idris Elba came along and was featured on a show that became more popular than Oz.

I thought Katie Holmes would follow in the Julia Roberts/Sandra Bullock mold of doing high-end romantic comedies, eventually moving into award-winning dramas.  She showed promise, but her marriage to Tom Cruise basically killed her career. She turned down The Dark Knight after that.  Yeesh. Meanwhile, Michelle Williams is a critically acclaimed thespian.

I didn't think it would be totally horrible, but I did not think netflix getting into original programming was the greatest idea.  And now they're churning out the best TV around.

I've come to the conclusion this is at least partly because the netflix business people just let the showrunners do their thing and there aren't so many nagging TV execs around.

"Does Daredevil have to be blind? That doesn't work for our focus group!"

"Our advertisers aren't comfortable with all the lesbianism in this prison show."

Can we go ahead and put "I thought the JJ ABRAMS STAR WARS WOULD SUCK LOST BALLS" in here?

Hey now, I loved the new trailer and all, but let's not pat JJ on the back yet, its still 8 months until the movie comes out.

And I still have the bad taste of "Well Jim, we resurrected you with Khan's superblood" in my mouth.

Can we go ahead and put "I thought the JJ ABRAMS STAR WARS WOULD SUCK LOST BALLS" in here?

Hey now, I loved the new trailer and all, but let's not pat JJ on the back yet, its still 8 months until the movie comes out.

And I still have the bad taste of "Well Jim, we resurrected you with Khan's superblood" in my mouth.

That's why the best possible move Disney made was already hiring Rian Johnson to direct Part 2 ensuring we don't have to worry about JJ choking on the follow-up.

Is that worse than blowing up Vulcan? I'm cautiously optimistic, nothing more about the new movie, though the trailer kicks so much ass, , , 

Surprised for all the love for Chris Klein.

Even in his very best roles (Election) he still came off as more dull Keanu Reeves, IMO.

Yeah, Neve Campbell should have been more famous for sure, though. Not sure if it was crappy choices or she intentionally shunned mainstream stuff.

Poor Chris Klein. He fell off the map and then got kicked while he was down with that leaked Mama Mia audition tape.

I thought Freddie Prinze Jr. would mature into A list roles and have a Keanu-level career. He probably could have been a pretty good character actor as well. I remember the director of Punisher: Warzone telling a story about the studio insisting that she let him audition for Jigsaw. He crushed it, and then they wouldn't let her cast him because the audition was just a favor.

Surprised for all the love for Chris Klein.

Even in his very best roles (Election) he still came off as more dull Keanu Reeves, IMO.

Yeah, Neve Campbell should have been more famous for sure, though. Not sure if it was crappy choices or she intentionally shunned mainstream stuff.

Hey, Chris Klein was one of the *ONLY* two good things about that Chun-Li movie.  

• Like 1