DVDVR Message Board

Things you were wrong about

Reed

Sarah Michelle Gellar was going to be a major star after Buffy.

I don't get this one. I like Gellar, but never saw big things for her.

Most of us thought that Heath Ledger would make a terrible Joker.  We were fucking stupid.

The people that think that Jared Leto will turn out to be a terrible Joker will also be proven to be complete idiots.

I was one of the ones proven stupid as well by Ledger as the Joker. I didn't believe in him, and I actually liked him.

I've never seen Leto so I have no idea how he will be as the Joker. My problem is the Joker or even Harley being in Suicide Sqaud at all which I just find dumb and lazy.

I thought Alicia Silverstone was going to be a prominent actress for a good long time after Clueless.

Just like with Gellar, never saw that in her.

They're making a movie of Transformers? The toys from the 80s? Who the hell would pay money to watch that?

They're making a sequel to Transformers? Well, the first one sucked balls, so nobody's going to want to see this one.

They're making another Transformers movie? Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Repeat to infinity.

At some point this became more denial than simply being wrong.

• Like 1

I was one of the ones proven stupid as well by Ledger as the Joker. I didn't believe in him, and I actually liked him.

I've never seen Leto so I have no idea how he will be as the Joker. My problem is the Joker or even Harley being in Suicide Sqaud at all which I just find dumb and lazy.

You've never seen Fight Club, American Psycho, Panic Room, Lord of War, Girl Interrupted, Alexander or Requiem for a Dream? Or Dallas Buyers Club? There's some good stuff in there. That's also most of the movies he's made because he's off being the Emo singer most of the time as well.

I used to think Robin Givens was good looking.  Then my friend said she looked like a Decepticon...which she does and I've never thought she was attractive again.

David Smith once said that Devin Aoki looked like a Grey with Down's Syndrome.  He was right.

Between that and his statement in the same review that Jaime Pressly  has "the slightly unnerving good looks of a really good MtF transsexual" I nearly lost it (and thought a lot about what I find attractive in women).

Things *I* was wrong about:

1) "Tim Burton is PERFECT for Planet of the Apes!"

2) "Letting the Teen Titans guys make the new Transformers series will fuck everything up"

3) "The Arrow staff will butcher the Flash, they'll drain all the fun and wonder out of it just like the 1990 series and Arrow!"

4) (after American Pie and Election) "Chris Klein is the next big thing."

I thought Jane the Virgin would be a disaster.

In fairness, "20-something year old virgin gets accidentally artificially inseminated with her boss' sperm" does sound like a weird idea for a show.

I thought Jane the Virgin would be a disaster.

In fairness, "20-something year old virgin gets accidentally artificially inseminated with her boss' sperm" does sound like a weird idea for a show.

As someone who works at a CW affiliate, yeah, how the hell does that show last a year?  And here we are.

It's not exactly a smash, let's be reasonable.

Okay:

I thought Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader wouldn't last two weeks.

I thought Gotham was the show to bring FOX back.  (And so did they.)

At the time, I really thought Crash was the best picture of 2005.

At one point I actually thought the US Office was better than the UK Office.

(Its not.  It had its window and it closed nine years ago.  That's how guilty I feel. I'm explaining it.)

"It can't possibly be hard to make a good, entertaining film out of Prince of Persia" will rank as probably my all time great DVDVR Summer Blockbuster Poll fuck up. But honestly if you can't make a good movie out of that premise, the fault is with you, not with me. It's basically foolproof.

On that note, I thought World War Z would be a major flop too.

Although in fairness, everyone who was involved with it apparently thought that too.

I got fooled on this too but in our defense if you look at the history of films with the kind of production problems World War Z had, the odds were very much against it.

You've never seen Fight Club, American Psycho, Panic Room, Lord of War, Girl Interrupted, Alexander or Requiem for a Dream? Or Dallas Buyers Club? There's some good stuff in there. That's also most of the movies he's made because he's off being the Emo singer most of the time as well.

Only seen part Lord of War many years ago. Haven't seen any of the others.

"It can't possibly be hard to make a good, entertaining film out of Prince of Persia" will rank as probably my all time great DVDVR Summer Blockbuster Poll fuck up. But honestly if you can't make a good movie out of that premise, the fault is with you, not with me. It's basically foolproof.

On that note, I thought World War Z would be a major flop too.

Although in fairness, everyone who was involved with it apparently thought that too.

I got fooled on this too but in our defense if you look at the history of films with the kind of production problems World War Z had, the odds were very much against it.

I remember reading the Vanity Fair article, which basically consisted of pointing out the ineptness of Brad Pitt's film production company, and thinking "The studio is fairly certain this will bomb huge and is already shifting the blame."

I thought Jimmy Carter was going to be a great POTUS.

I predicted that Lance Hoyt would be a breakout star and become the face of TNA.

I thought Whitney was a great show and would be on for years.

I predicted that the actors who played Ryan O'Reilly and Vern Schillinger on Oz would be major stars after that series ended.

What are they doing today? Fucking insurance commercials...

I thought (and still do) that It's Always Sunny... was the ghastliest thing I'd ever seen and that someone would have the good sense to pull the plug midway through the first season.

I thought The Walking Dead would be a pretty cool show that would only last one season. I mean like mainstream America is going to embrace an incredibly violent show about the Zombie Apocalypse? Really?

I thought that The Adventures of Brisco County jr was the coolest thing ever (and I maintain that I'm right about that), and that it would be a breakout hit and run so long that people would start bitching that Campbell was too old for the role.

I don't remember him even being in Fight Club, but

AMERICAN PSYCHO

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

?

I mean I can see Dallas as it is recent but those three should be in any film fan's repertoire, IMO. Especially American Psycho, though I am biased as a huge fan of the book and a huge horror fan too. 

To be honest though I never thought about him being in either of those until reflecting back; dude can go under the radar on you.

I would have bet that the cast of Friday Night Lights was going to next crop of movie stars. Michael B. Jordan is the only one who has a chance...and he's in the new Fantastic Four. 

I thought Heroes was going to be an all-time great show...it is probably the worst show I've watched every episode of, and I'm kind of excited for the reboot.

I didn't give The Wire a chance until halfway through Season 3...I went to the local video store and rented the first disk of the first season and ended up going back the same day and rented the rest.

Well, the thing that hurt Heroes was the thing that hurt Lost; No long-term plan. That and the fact that the people running the show didn't know as much about Superpowers as the people watching it.

I don't see a reboot working though. Part of the appeal of it was 'A TV show about Superheroes in the real world! That's incredible, I've never seen anything like it!'. And that whole novelty factor just doesn't exist any more, so basically you've got the Heroes universe trying to look impressive compared to the Marvel Universe and the DC Universes. Heroes just has too little gong for it there.

Two shows debuted on Fox on Friday Nights in the 1993 season.

I thought the show that could be a cult hit and maybe a main stream hit was Brisco County.

I thought the other one, a remake of Project UFO with the guy from Red Shoe Dairies as the star, was 6 episodes and done.

You're not completely wrong about Brisco County. As far as I know it is a cult hit. It really sucks that they got the 8pm Friday night slot of death on Fox. Looking at Fox's line-up in 1993, I don't see why Brisco didn't get the Monday night slot. No way they were getting Tues-Thurs with things like Roc, Simpsons, Melrose, 90210 but according to wiki, Fox Night at the Movies was on from 8pm-10pm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993%E2%80%9394_United_States_network_television_schedule