DVDVR Message Board

Things you were wrong about

Reed

Confessions:

I thought Hannibal on network TV would be a terrible idea

I dismissed Channing Tatum as an awful, wooden actor who had a face like a cardboard box

Decided that Lucy Liu as a female John Watson was a terrible idea.

Sarah Michelle Gellar was going to be a major star after Buffy.

I'm half wondering if "Ben Affleck as Batman" will soon be added to this list since he was amazing in Gone Girl and at least has the smugness to play Bruce Wayne well.

Most of us thought that Heath Ledger would make a terrible Joker.  We were fucking stupid.

The people that think that Jared Leto will turn out to be a terrible Joker will also be proven to be complete idiots.

• Like 1

IMO, The Joker is (with all due respect to Nicholson, Ledger) etc, not really a hard character to play. Michael Pitt and Andrew Scott also did great versions of the character on Hannibal and Sherlock respectively. It's a lot of over-acting and charisma, mainly. It's a character specifically designed to totally steal the show.

I'm sure Leto will be terrific as long as he doesn't try to rip off Ledger.

I used to think Robin Givens was good looking.  Then my friend said she looked like a Decepticon...which she does and I've never thought she was attractive again.

David Smith once said that Devin Aoki looked like a Grey with Down's Syndrome.  He was right.

• Like 3

Sarah Michelle Gellar was going to be a major star after Buffy.

This. Along those lines, I was pretty sure that the pasty guy with the odd haircut they cast as Buffy's love interest was an awful actor with no charisma who would bomb on the show and never work again. David Boreanaz will probably never be a major star or a great actor, but the dude has been cast in the lead of two successful shows and hasn't been out of work since 1997, so he's doing something right.

Also was fairly sure the dumb jock from Everwood would have trouble getting roles in the future (though I'm not sure Bright Abbott and Andy Dwyer are all that different, really).

Based on the first couple of promos, I thought "Big Bang Theory" would be axed after 10 or so episodes.

I thought Mila Kunis was a one-note act who'd fade away after "That 70s Show."  If I had predicted anyone from the cast to be an Oscar nominee, I would have gone with Topher Grace.

Third on the "Gellar as a major star."  In an alternate world, she'd have the Julia Roberts/Sandra Bullock role of one or two successful romantic comedies a year, then find success with prestige pictures.

I think there's been about five shows in the history of television that had a plan at the outset and actually executed it faithfully. Nature of the business. Either your show gets canceled after a few years and the grand finale you had planned for season 7 comes to pass, or you plot out five seasons, and the show runs for ten years because the network wants to renew it and keeps offering you F-U money to keep it going.

Or you have a six year plan in your head when you pitch the show, but you get bored and leave after three years and the new showrunner takes the show in a completely different direction. Or your planned ending for year seven hinges on a character you killed three years ago after the actor had an affair with one of the writet's wives. Whatever.

There's a military adage that "no plans survives the battlefield" (meaning whatever strategy you have in mind will have to be revised once the enemy makes contact). It's generally attributed to General Von Moltke, Prussian chief of staff under Bismark during the Franco-Prussian war. I assume he had a developmental deal on the side.

I used to get a good laugh from J. Michael Straczynski when he ued to claim that every bit of Babylon Five was planned out t the outset. Hilarious given that he replaced his lead character after one season due to the actor being mentally ill, lost one or two other key actors due to contract disputes, allegedly made plot and script changes under duress (pressure from network), wrote a semi-ending for the next-to-last season in case the show didn't get picked up for the last planned season, etc.

He's since backed off and admitted a lot of things happened during the show's run that he couldn't control.

It really is amazing how dull Gellar comes off on the big-screen. (Sans Cruel Intentions).

She's far better off as a TV actress. I don't know what it is, but she simply seems far more interesting.

I thought Mila Kunis was a one-note act who'd fade away after "That 70s Show."  If I had predicted anyone from the cast to be an Oscar nominee, I would have gone with Topher Grace.

The smart money was on Topher Grace. Kind of sad it didn't really pan out, I maintain he is a good actor.

Also was fairly sure the dumb jock from Everwood would have trouble getting roles in the future (though I'm not sure Bright Abbott and Andy Dwyer are all that different, really).

Bright was always my favorite character. A bit disappointed there hasn't been more of a showcase for Tom Amandes, though.

I'm usually pretty good on my movie predictions. Saying Titanic would be an epic bomb before it came out was not one of them.

On that note, I thought World War Z would be a major flop too.

Although in fairness, everyone who was involved with it apparently thought that too.

Two shows debuted on Fox on Friday Nights in the 1993 season.

I thought the show that could be a cult hit and maybe a main stream hit was Brisco County.

I thought the other one, a remake of Project UFO with the guy from Red Shoe Dairies as the star, was 6 episodes and done.

• Like 1

They're making a movie of Transformers? The toys from the 80s? Who the hell would pay money to watch that?

They're making a sequel to Transformers? Well, the first one sucked balls, so nobody's going to want to see this one.

They're making another Transformers movie? Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Repeat to infinity.

• Like 1

I am so ashamed to confess this but when I was still in high school and was an unfathomably dour douche I used to scan past Comedy central and see this stupid low-rent whimsical show with puppets and tell everyone how much I hate hokey fake-low-fi shit like that.

MST3K.  Yeah.  I'm that guy.