DVDVR Message Board

SmackDown Spoilers for 4/16

Michael Sweetser

From F4W:

John Cena opened the show and talked about his win over Bad News Barrett.  He again put over the London crowd and explained the rules of a Russian chain match.  The two men will be chained together and to win, you have to touch all four corners.  Cena said that he may not be in that match because he's going to defend the title several more times before the 26th.  He issued his open challenge.  Tyson Kidd & Cesaro came out.  Daniel Bryan also came out.  So instead of Cena defending as advertised, it wound up as a tag match for the main event.

Bray Wyatt b R-Truth quickly with Sister Abigail

Roman Reigns did a backstage interview.

The Miz did an interview and said Mizdow got lucky and Mizdow is nothing without him.  Bad News Barrett came out and said we're not in Hollywood, we're in London and the people didn't come to see a pretend movie star.

Bad News Barrett b The Miz quickly.

Renee Young interviewed Mizdow.  Miz interrupted and said Mizdow winning on Raw was a fluke and told Mizdow to stop stealing from his brand.  So they ended up setting up a match for Raw where the winner gets the Miz brand.  Summer Rae is now a face and slapped Miz.

Neville b Sheamus via DQ.  Sheamus made fun of Neville's height before the match.  Sheamus was DQ'd for slamming him on the desk.  He kept beating on him until Dolph Ziggler made the save.  They challenged each other and Sheamus vs. Ziggler in a loser kisses the winners ass match was added to the PPV.

Kofi Kingston & Big E b Los Matadores.

Rosa Mendes was depressed after Fandango wouldn't talk to her but Adam Rose wanted to talk to her.

Big Show came out and cut a promo on Reigns.  Show said he could have finished Reigns on Monday but decided not to do it, and instead wants a last man standing match at the PPV.

Cameron won three-way over Alicia Fox and Natalya

Fandango b Adam Rose.  Rosa tried to cost  Fandango the match but it didn't happen.  The crowd all did the Fandangoing after the match.

Bray Wyatt did an interview

Daniel Bryan & John Cena b Cesaro & Tyson Kidd in a non-title match.  Several fans hit the ring and started doing spots before the match until security took them out.  One gave another a rock bottom.  Cena worked most of the way until Bryan hot tagged in and used the Yes lock on Kidd for the submission.

Several fans hit the ring and started doing spots before the match until security took them out.  One gave another a rock bottom.

I mostly ignore old-timers' claims about how much better everything was back in their day, but I really do wish it was still kosher for wrestlers to knock idiots like this into next week the second they climb into the ring.

Rosa Mendes was depressed after Fandango wouldn't talk to her but Adam Rose wanted to talk to her.

Man, moving down toward Rosebud status is pretty dire.

Neville b Sheamus via DQ.  Sheamus made fun of Neville's height before the match.  Sheamus was DQ'd for slamming him on the desk.  He kept beating on him until Dolph Ziggler made the save.  They challenged each other and Sheamus vs. Ziggler in a loser kisses the winners ass match was added to the PPV.

*arse

also...BWAWAWWWHHHAAAAAAAAA????????

That may be true, but it's too early to say with any certainty. Neville has the kind of body type Vince usually gets a hard on for, Bourne did not. That gives him a little more potential upside.

Is it possible they're trying to build up to a win over a bigger name by having him lose competitive matches to guys higher on the card? Like, have him look good but come up short against Rollins, Ziggler, maybe have him answer Cena's open challenge. Then after a few weeks he beats Kane or someone, and the crowd pops for him finally pulling out a victory? It's not a great idea, but I wouldn't put it past them, and at least it would be a plan.

• Like 1

Yeah I think pumping the breaks on Neville reactions is a good idea. Nobody has crossed over into "zomg he is so buried!" yet, but some have been close. He's being featured in a positive light right now. Competitive matches with upper card guys is OK. The fans seem to respect him and like him so building sympathy with close losses is an OK place to be.

If that's all he's doing a year from now it's a problem.

• Like 1

Meltzer is really right when describing Neville.  he is the 2015 version of Evan Bourne.  A guy who does fancy moves that the crowd enjoys and will never amount to shit in the company except maybe 1 or 2 tag or IC title runs 

Is that such a bad thing? It'll keep his lights on, anyway.

Meltzer is really right when describing Neville.  he is the 2015 version of Evan Bourne.  A guy who does fancy moves that the crowd enjoys and will never amount to shit in the company except maybe 1 or 2 tag or IC title runs 

I think almost anyone can be a top guy but not everyone should be a top guy and certainly not everyone at once. 

You need guys who can be midcarders that pop the crowd, that top heels can go over, and that can put on good early matches on the card to get the crowd going. It's a functional role and an honorable one. 

• Like 1

I think almost anyone can be a top guy but not everyone should be a top guy and certainly not everyone at once. 

You need guys who can be midcarders that pop the crowd, that top heels can go over, and that can put on good early matches on the card to get the crowd going. It's a functional role and an honorable one. 

I get that the world needs ditch diggers, but if you get the big entrance and ballyhoo Neville did you shouldn't be jobbing him right out of the gate. Contrast him to the Lucha Dragons and particularly Kalisto, who get big shine spots and then get their hands raised at the end to boot. Hell, Adam Rose and Fandango got far better protection at this stage in their debuts.

That's fair. I'd argue that from the WWE point of view (see Dunn/Vince), there's less upside to Neville then Bourne, at least as a babyface, and as a heel, he can basically be a cruiserweight bully, which is a role that doesn't exist right now, or part of a tag team (sort of in the Tyson Kidd role) and that's about it. This is a company that never pushed Christian heavily as a babyface because he was too ugly. My main argument is that Neville did not have a huge upside to begin with on the WWE roster. That said, I agree that his debut (like so many others before him) was mismanaged. I was mainly responding to the person who said that he wouldn't ever be bigger than Bourne.

People seem to get called up due to attrition and not because there's any plan for them. I think NXT damned Neville in some ways because it meant he was too well known to put a hood on. 

That's fair. I'd argue that from the WWE point of view (see Dunn/Vince), there's less upside to Neville then Bourne, at least as a babyface, and as a heel, he can basically be a cruiserweight bully, which is a role that doesn't exist right now, or part of a tag team (sort of in the Tyson Kidd role) and that's about it. This is a company that never pushed Christian heavily as a babyface because he was too ugly. My main argument is that Neville did not have a huge upside to begin with on the WWE roster. That said, I agree that his debut (like so many others before him) was mismanaged. I was mainly responding to the person who said that he wouldn't ever be bigger than Bourne.

People seem to get called up due to attrition and not because there's any plan for them. I think NXT damned Neville in some ways because it meant he was too well known to put a hood on. 

I think from their point of view they probably think they are pushing Neville hard right now. Remember wins and losses don't matter.

In a couple of months they will probably be surprised that he's not as over as they think he would be by then and put him on Main Event and Superstars.

Is that such a bad thing? It'll keep his lights on, anyway.

Maybe.  Assuming there's anything left after he pays his pharmaceuticals bill.  Being one of the most five gassed guys on the roster can't be cheap.

In theory, Neville as a feisty rookie losing hard-fought matches against top guys is good exposure for him. He just needs a win against a name opponent by Extreme Rules (and then steadily climb the IC ladder to a series of star-making matches with Bryan on ppv).