DVDVR Message Board

Beat The Champ by The Mountain Goats

J.T.

first song I heard from The Mountain Goats was "Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton". Liked that song, but didn't really listen to anything else at that point. Figured they might be wrestling fans since the Denton reference seemed odd. They released the Chavo Guerrero song and I tweeted that the song would surely be different if they met Chavo in the past. :) I believe the lead singer was a big wrestling fan here in SoCal of the 70s-80s L.A. Olympic Auditorium shows.

The Mountain Goats are great. John Darnielle is one of the great lyricists of his era.

He grew up in SoCal and went to a lot of those Olympic Auditorium shows and watched a ton of TV rasslin'. He grew out of it later on in life but always kept a fondness for it. He said it was one of the few things he could share with his step-dad.

I love the Chavo song so much. It's the most literate expression of wrestling fandom ever -- we need heroes and villains in our lives, and justice to ultimately prevail. He also said in an interview I read that wrestling fans tend to be great readers, since we understand narratives and characters at a really young age.

He's a huge death meal fan on top of a rasslin' nerd. He grew up a metal fan but now really loves the whole escapist aspect.

Here is an interview in Paste magazine where he talks all about his wrestling fandom

Paste Magazine

They are my all time favorite band, seen them live over a dozen times, so it was so crazy when I heard about this album

Did you see them last week at the 930 Club Phil?  It was sold-out, so I didn't.  If so, how was the show?

I didn't know this band and thought the idea was a bit precious when I first heard of it, but having bought the album, I am sold.  It is all so sincere.  I really like it.