DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-13-15

MGFanJay

The Strap match is Caribbean if one of the Wrestlers in it is. If there are no Caribbeans in the match, it's American. But not as American as a good ol'fashioned TEXAS BULLROPE MATCH. Or, y'know, a Tennessee Bullrope Match, or Oklahoma bullrope match. Or Winnipeg Bullro... no.

Then again, how is a Chicago Street Fight different from a New York Street Fight, or a Hollywood Backlot Brawl?

You have to differentiate between a Luger Chicago Street Fight (which is really the suburbs), and a Road Warriors Chicago Street Fight.

I love that promo before the Uncensored match with Sting/Luger vs. Road Warriors (that ended up being Sting/Booker T. vs. Road Warriors). Luger essentially did a mean streets of Greenwich promo and Sting was like "these guys will kill you". It was great.

I'm a little late to the game but I really loved the Rollins/Kane segment. Kane's largely a snooze but I think he's really good in the corporate flunky role. He really sold the anguish of the position he found (put?) himself in. He has to humble himself at the order of the new BMOC or risk losing what's now most important to him, which is his career. You really need to have a lot of skill and wrestling acting ability to play that off. And you certainly can't have a younger/newer wrestler in the role of obedient flunky like that. It was just really skillful and well-done. Rolling was awesome as the slimebag again, too.

People are way too harsh on Kane. Yea he's kind of boring in the ring and all his matches feel the same but I could say that same thing about a lot of dudes in the WWE that don't get that criticism. I still don't think he's BAD, his offense almost always looks good. 

Even though I think Lucha Underground has exposed even more just how shitty WWE's backstage stuff is, Kane is also maybe the best performer they have for those segments. There are a lot of things about WWE I don't understand but "Why is Kane still around in 2015!?" isn't one of them. The idea that he's being "pushed" is kind of a myth too because he pretty much never wins. He might as well be J&J Security on each other's shoulders in a Kane suit compared to when he's ACTUALLY been pushed as a threat.

• Like 2

I've just always thought they'd be better off spending the TV time they give to guys like Kane and Big Show and give it to someone who people might actually care about at this point. Even if you just need a warm body out there to lose, just have him lose and leave. Don't have him in backstage segments and God knows what when you could have someone in that spot who might draw a reaction other than "jeez, how long has this guy been around now? Is he ever going to go away?"

He might as well be J&J Security on each other's shoulders in a Kane suit

I never knew how much I wanted this until now.

Seriously, J&J Security and Corporate Kane have been some of my favorite parts of the Authority angle.  They should get their own sitcom on the Network.

I've just always thought they'd be better off spending the TV time they give to guys like Kane and Big Show and give it to someone who people might actually care about at this point. Even if you just need a warm body out there to lose, just have him lose and leave. Don't have him in backstage segments and God knows what when you could have someone in that spot who might draw a reaction other than "jeez, how long has this guy been around now? Is he ever going to go away?"

There's pretty sound logic in why they're using Kane and Show right now. They're certainly old and stale in a lot of ways. But they're also really skilled performers who are still top-level and are being used to put over the young guys.

They're just doing it slowly and more effectively.

Seth is cementing himself as a total slimebag. He engineered the theft of the title. But heavy is the head that wears the crowd, and now he has to show he can still engineer the chess pieces. And he's using Kane to do so. Kane on Raw showed ass despite trying to save face. He did the lowest thing a wrestler can do -- lay down for another person. (And they set that up very well with Bryan.) And Kane is also so skilled as a performer that he made it so compelling and really sold his emotions. This is likely going to lead into a Kane/Rollins feud after Rollins sneaks out with the title at Extreme Rules. I'd imagine something like, "Kane returns to becoming THE MONSTER and Rollins has no idea how to handle this" is in the works.

That means Rollins goes over two veteran guys. Maybe not cleanly, but he shouldn't. He's a cockroach. He should ooze his way to wins.

Then you have show versus Reigns. Reigns takes down Show, who does defeat very well. Then Reigns and Show continue for a little bit more or they put another older guy in Reigns' way before he gets Rollins.

I like Harper and Rowan and even Ryback way more than Kane and Show. But Kane and Show are putting the next crop of stars over. It's a slow burn. But that's why they have to be kept periodically strong -- so they can elevate later on.