DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Spoilers for All (WARNING: THIS HAS SPOILERS) (DO NOT COME IN IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED)

odessasteps

1 hour ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

Stannis is the de facto babyface because he is the one true king of Westeros.  Those of you who throw your lot in with the usurpers tend to forget this.

The only reason that Stannis was even in the line of succession was because his brother usurped the throne from the reigning royal family.  

That only gave him a tiny bit of a claim though. It's why the rebellion decided to put him out front instead of Ned or Jon Arryn or whoever. But it certainly didn't give him a legit claim to the throne.

Stannis was a pragmatist more than anything else. But he was always going to burn Shireen.

8 hours ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

Stannis is the de facto babyface because he is the one true king of Westeros.  Those of you who throw your lot in with the usurpers tend to forget this.

True King, you say?

tumblr_np96x6sFci1qb0st4o3_r1_500.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That only gave him a tiny bit of a claim though. It's why the rebellion decided to put him out front instead of Ned or Jon Arryn or whoever. But it certainly didn't give him a legit claim to the throne.

Stannis was a pragmatist more than anything else. But he was always going to burn Shireen.

Tiny bit = claim.

William The Bastard/Conqueror had no real claim on England he just had a big army and "a promise" made by Edward the Confessor and the Pope just said "sure son, better you than those fucks."

If playing Crusader Kings taught me anything,  it doesn't matter how strong your claim is, if you convince people you're better than what's there, you got a throne. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2016 at 0:24 PM, MarcosLoura said:

I was spending some time today reading and watching fan videos and for the first time I felt that maybe I shouldn't watch the rest of the show. 

"And now it begins." "No, now it ends."

If they really show the whole Tower of Joy scene, I'm not sure I want to experience it like this. Jon's resurrection was not really a spoiler in the end, but it felt kinda cheap compared to what I think it will be in the books.

Meh, I don't know. Help.

There's other epic fantasy out there, some of it just as good as Martin, some of it better, some of it not as good but with charms nonetheless, some complete, some will be complete. There's far better things to do in life than to hide from a TV show in the name of books that may or may not come. Like read some of those other series. 

The Witcher games are like everything I like about Game of Thrones without all the things I hate.  Especially Witcher 3.  It's pretty badass.  And those have books too.  The games are basically unofficial sequels to the books.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

I know there's a bunch of fantasy series out there, I read other books. I just like these a lot.

I read plenty of other things, but this is the one fantasy series that feels different.  I really like how dense the series is and how it leads itself to theorizing and speculation.  It is probably why the community around the series is so large.  

I think it's how mainstream it is relative to anything else, frankly. It's sort of like the Marvel movies right now, even if you're a long time comic reader or WWF/WCW in 98 during the boom. You can talk about the Tower of Joy with people at work that you'd generally be hiding your knowledge of it from in other related things. It's socially acceptable to speculate about it.

9 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Fuck this fucking Ramsey push in the show.

I have no idea why they love Ramsey so much, it was overkill when he tortured Theon, but now I just hate every time he's on TV.  

A couple of notes from last week that I meant to post, but didn't...

The music that played when Jon hanged his killers was a song that had been used multiple times before, all of which were in triumphant Dany scenes.  I don't know if it was the same music last night, but that would be a pretty fun bit of foreshadowing if it was.  

The Three-eyed Raven insinuated that he was a thousand years old, which makes it impossible for him to be Bloodraven, or a Targaeryn bastard for that matter.  I don't know why they changed that part of his character, but then again Mellisandre seems to be significantly older than her book character too(I really like the theory that she is the child of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar).

Apparently show Dany is completely fire immune. Ok I guess.

I really liked the King's Landing scenes on this episode, all the interactions meant something and had weight behind them.

It's weird how they decided to merge a Sansa (a main character) with Rickon (perhaps a secondary character?) just to get Jeyne Poole.

10 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Apparently show Dany is completely fire immune. Ok I guess.

I know Martin views it another way, but the show has always presented her that way.  Before the funeral pyre she sat down in damn near boiling water and picked up a dragon egg straight out of the flames.  

It makes more sense than Martins way to be honest.  What with all the dragon riding that is surely coming.

Yeah, season one made it crystal clear she could not burn. Martin didn't have the foreshadowing in the first book, and has suggested in the books it was a one off thing, but the show it's just been lurking for years.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

The music that played when Jon hanged his killers was a song that had been used multiple times before, all of which were in triumphant Dany scenes.  I don't know if it was the same music last night, but that would be a pretty fun bit of foreshadowing if it was.  

It is kind of telling that the last two episodes have each ended with either Jon or Dany

- Doing something supernatural to escape death

- Killing the shit out of the people who tried to bring them death

- Dropping the mic to fade to black and get back to the main storyline

• Like 1

On 5/16/2016 at 11:36 PM, Raziel403 said:

Fuck this fucking Ramsey push in the show.

Ramsey's gonna get got soon anyway, it's a heel push so that when the babyfaces win and one of the upper midcard babyface gets her revenge it's a big fucking deal and puts her in the conversation for main event babyface (I personally think somehow Sansa's going to end up on the throne with Jon as her Queensguard, Dany as her controller of insta-death dragons, Tyrion to advise her and Arya as her personal assassin...or in typical GoT fashion, Sansa will someone end up on the throne only for the White Walkers to take over Westeros and leave Westeros in permanent winter)

19 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Ramsey's gonna get got soon anyway, it's a heel push so that when the babyfaces win and one of the upper midcard babyface gets her revenge it's a big fucking deal and puts her in the conversation for main event babyface (I personally think somehow Sansa's going to end up on the throne with Jon as her Queensguard, Dany as her controller of insta-death dragons, Tyrion to advise her and Arya as her personal assassin...or in typical GoT fashion, Sansa will someone end up on the throne only for the White Walkers to take over Westeros and leave Westeros in permanent winter)

I think at least two of those characters will be dead in the end. I haven't decided which two yet.