DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

Tough game for the Flames. I know possession isn't exactly their strong point, but they made a lot of bad passes and turnovers. Vancouver should get a lot of credit though. They always seemed to be in the right place, getting sticks in passing lanes and breaking up chances.

I know the team has denied it, but I'm still concerned Monahan is hurt. Maybe Hudler too. He got roughed up a bit in the LA game, and he does not look quite right. And now it looks like Bennett could be banged up as well. Yikes...

It ain't the playoffs until guys are getting double game misconducts, double fighting majors & random 10 min misdconducts just for stepping on the ice. Thank you Calgary/Vancouver!

I thought that one was a bit questionable. I mean, I get that they were trying to keep the game under control and all, but still... shouldn't you actually have to do something to get a misconduct? And it's not like Bollig is a pure goon.

Missed most of the third period. If somebody unfamiliar with hockey saw that line brawl they would be shocked (it's playoff time,  so it's necessary to bust out the Guy Boucher line) and/or appalled. With context, it's only slightly embarrassing. Brad Richardson (kind of) punched a dude with his bare knuckles when said dude was on the ice. 

UFC ON ICE:

z2KgcNJ.gif

I'm not even like mad or anything. Just taking a step back and wondering why this thing is happening? lol, I love his facial expression. PURE ANGER, GRRR.

Anyway, these playoffs are living up to expectations. Cup favorites get trounced a game following coming back from 3-0, everything in that Sens/Habs series, grr fury punches in Vancouver, wild stuff with the Caps storming back after looking like they were on the way to the driving range, that Yzerman Cup series is going to rule too. Fuckin' hockey, man.

Question for da Jets fans: is it possible for Winnipeg to play their game and not take a tonne of penalties? I don't think they can afford to give the Ducks the man advantage very often. Same with Ottawa. Montreal's PP is on fire right now, generating grade A chances for fun.

I thought that one was a bit questionable. I mean, I get that they were trying to keep the game under control and all, but still... shouldn't you actually have to do something to get a misconduct?

I'm with you. I thought Hartley would put up more of a fight considering his coaching style. It's a slippery slope too because would you do that to David Backes? I would wager Backes is just as likely as Bollig to try and start shit with < 2 mins left in an already over game.

It was probably more the situation and history. The refs were just trying to get the game over with.

The hockey twitter outrage over any time a fight happens is the worst now. Is it really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things? Oh no, a few grown men playing a game for money are voluntarily punching each other!

If you want intensity and physicality, sometimes guys are going to cross the line. Do we want hockey to be a glorified game of shinny? Like the all-star game?

One of the reasons hockey is awesome is because it's got a little bit of everything. Hockey fans are the second dirt worst of any sport, just behind soccer. Maybe even more annoying because of the constant "PLEASE LOVE MY SPORT! DON'T DO THAT THEY WON'T LOVE MY SPORT IF THEY SEE YOU DOING THAT!"

Nah, it's just bare-knuckle fighting on ice without a helmet might be a bad idea.

Hitting is fine but if a sport needs bare-knuckle fighting on ice without helmets to keep its identity, then maybe it's not an identity worth keeping?

So is playing hockey at any level, really if you get right down to what studies show.

Yep, but I think you can try and limit the dangers by eliminating that from the game. Fights have fuck all impact on the game. What purpose do they serve? If they're there to keep players clean, I think there needs to be a serious look at the disciplinary system (which needs to happen regardless).

Also, while we're talking about bad health and hockey, what's the best non-headshot hit in playoff history? I think my fave is Morrow erasing Michalek back in '08. Shoulder to shoulder but still Milan was clearly concussed (going back to your point). The sound of that fuckin' hit... man.

So is playing hockey at any level, really if you get right down to what studies show.

Yep, but I think you can try and limit the dangers by eliminating that from the game. Fights have fuck all impact on the game. What purpose do they serve? If they're there to keep players clean, I think there needs to be a serious look at the disciplinary system (which needs to happen regardless).

They're a voluntary danger, though. No one really ever has to fight. The game is evolving away from it naturally because winning is so important and the league is too competitive to dress goons.

I think people just have a weird double standard where they convince themselves a big hit is 'fine' but two guys punching each other a few times is the worst thing in the world. I don't think fighting needs to be in hockey but the overreaction whenever gloves are dropped is absurd.

It's just such a weird thing that's considered part of the game. I'm laughing thinking about that Richardson highlight. 

And I'm totally with you on how dangerous big contact sports are, such as hockey and football,  in general. I just don't think you need to have that element part of it to take the danger to such a ridiculous level for guys that feel it's part of their job to drop the gloves (and therefore an expectation). I was listening to the radio when Ferland made contact with Lack after taking a run at a Canuck. Shorthouse was calling for Dorsett to come on the ice (insinuating he'd fight Ferland to deliver justice and teach Ferland a lesson). It didn't happen but is it voluntary at that point? I would argue only partially. Look at how many fighting majors Dorsett has this year (17!).

I seem to always miss most of this twitter outrage but then again I am ultra proactive with the block button of doom. It's really the most required thing to get the most out of twitter I find.

I've never really had much contact with the anti-fighters unless you count the time I got Damien Cox to block me by asking him where the rest of his Mr. Potato Head parts are.

The NHL Wheel of Justice is more the thing I see complaining about but rightly so because it's bush league as fuck.

http://youtu.be/Bio45-BIuMA

It's not that weird that fighting is considered part of a game where people are on skates and have weapons. I don't want to get into a whole thing about it but we ask guys to play an aggressive, rough, intense game with a lot of passion and that's going to result in some spillover.

There's no "fighting" in football but I've gotten to know a couple BC Lions fairly well and they just laugh when they hear hockey people throw out that defense. There's so much premeditated violence in football that no one really ever notices because it gets lost in all the other violence. Not to mention some of the stuff that goes on in a pile. Limbs being attacked, bones being broken, things going in places they shouldn't be going...

I think a lot of it just comes down to what people are comfortable with visually. I think what Subban did looks far worse for a sport to outsiders than the end of the Flames/Canucks game. I can much easier explain that to a non-hockey fan than explain what Subban was doing.

Roman Josi will dominate. Interesting that he has a better corsi % than Weber when the two are split up. And don't backups often shit the bed after a really strong showing? I'm not being hopeful, nope. Not at all *nervous laughter*.

Yay, Tank! Do the score! Much better energy from St. Louis.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Need to take care of business in Game 2 here.  That draft lottery was terrible.  

I've never met an anti-fighter in real life, but I bet that guy in the Pajama Boy ad doesn't like fighting in hockey.

I've never met an anti-fighter in real life,

Bingo. I always wonder who are these mythical fans who are turned off by fighting. I don't think they exist. I talk to people all the time about why they don't like hockey, fighting is NEVER one of their reasons.

I definitely think it's one of those things where there's a disconnect between media narrative and what fans really think.

This isn't pleasant to say but this is also true of head trauma in football. Which doesn't mean trying to lower that happening is wrong, of course.