DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015 - The Quest For The Cup

Dolfan in NYC

Man, this James Neal kid would look good beside Crosby or Malkin. Maybe Pittsburgh should trade for him!

It's also weird that two of the best defensive teams in the league also are playing in the only really high scoring series.

Keith looked drunk on that third goal.

Yeah seriously no offense to the Washington fans on the board but if I don't get the biggest Islanders/Rangers series in a generation I am going to be pissed about that.

Those games (particularly the ones at the Coliseum) are as close as you are going to get to an Old Firm atmosphere in North American sports. The battles in the stands will be as ferocious as the ones on the ice.

This is the damndest game. Dominant second period possession-wise but Vancouver's still been outscored 2-1 in it.

You can see why Calgary generates such high percentage chances (high scoring team with shitty possession numbers). They cycle high, near the blueline, much like Chicago, and skate with a lot of speed on the transition. It's risky but something I've been wanting to see from the Canucks since the scoring dried up in 2012. They also almost always commit a d-man on the rush - again, very risky but high rewards. Not shocked at all that they have the 2nd highest team shooting percentage 5v5.

I'm really disappointed that they couldn't hold either lead. Ah well. Well played, Calgary.

More thoughts: after camouflaging himself as a capable goaltender for a few games, Ryan Miller shows his true form. And Derek Dorsett (Mr. 44 CF%) played more than Bo Horvat in an elimination game. Dorsett finished -2.

Yeah seriously no offense to the Washington fans on the board but if I don't get the biggest Islanders/Rangers series in a generation I am going to be pissed about that.

Those games (particularly the ones at the Coliseum) are as close as you are going to get to an Old Firm atmosphere in North American sports. The battles in the stands will be as ferocious as the ones on the ice.

I would say the closest we have in the US to crazy soccer fandom rivalries are the super college football rivalries. Alabama/Auburn would not feel out of place next to Celtic/Rangers or anything in Turkey.

I'm really disappointed that they couldn't hold either lead. Ah well. Well played, Calgary.

More thoughts: after camouflaging himself as a capable goaltender for a few games, Ryan Miller shows his true form. And Derek Dorsett (Mr. 44 CF%) played more than Bo Horvat in an elimination game. Dorsett finished -2.

You can't use Corsi and Plus/Minus!

I thought Miller looked shaky in the other two games, he just didn't get a ton of quality chances against. I guess you could have gone back to Lack during this game but that's a tough call to make. Chicago did it but they were also leading in the series.

Hey! Corsi for the regular season (big sample size), +/- for the post-season (small sample size)!

And I agree in general. I felt he was okay stopping the first shot (something Lack was struggling to do, wasn't finding the puck through traffic well at all) but was really scrambly after that. Luckily for us, Calgary missed most of the follow up shots when he was flip floppin'.

Between Dorsett, Sbisa, and Miller, that's $12.2 million moving forward.  :blink:

I honestly don't feel there's anything in the NHL like the old firm atmosphere, but a lot of that is the piping music into the arena constantly that really kills the chance for fans to do fan things because this is the part where we have to be quiet because music is playing. Even in the great arenas it's constant. When hockey arenas go they are as good as anything of course, but it's not quite as constant.

Some fucking day, maybe not that far away, Edmonton and Calgary might finally have a playoff series that will at least sound like world war III. Finally. Mercifully.

I look forward to the Ducks doing to the Flames what they did to the Jets. :-)

I honestly don't feel there's anything in the NHL like the old firm atmosphere, but a lot of that is the piping music into the arena constantly that really kills the chance for fans to do fan things because this is the part where we have to be quiet because music is playing. Even in the great arenas it's constant. When hockey arenas go they are as good as anything of course, but it's not quite as constant.

Some fucking day, maybe not that far away, Edmonton and Calgary might finally have a playoff series that will at least sound like world war III. Finally. Mercifully.

I look forward to the Ducks doing to the Flames what they did to the Jets. :-)

Fair point (I HATE loud music/artificial noise at games), but I was talking more along the lines of fans wanting to literally kill each other and an atmosphere of hostility.

For atmosphere Calgary fans lose a lot of credibility because they use thundersticks. Did like them using Johnny Cash as a celebration song though so there's that.

Will feel so bad for the Blues fans if they can't win this series. They have been kicked in the nuts more times than just about anyone.

• Like 1

So, you have Brian Elliott as an insurance policy in case Jake Allen isn't performing and now that's 2 deflating goals Allen's surrendered in as many games. Elliott needs to start the second period. That sharp angle goal cannot happen in the playoffs.

I mean, Jake Allen, man...

Manchester United.

Also, it should be noted that the Vigneault/Luongo/Schneider love triangle back in the day started goaltenders being on such short leashes in the playoffs. CUTTING EDGE! Before that, if you made a goalie change when the score wasn't out of hand, it was like putting down a healthy dog or something.

If Blues lose this, they are the new San Jose Sharks.

3639032200_d8998a5587_o.jpg

David Backes' playoff points totals are abysmal. Funny how he goes largely unscathed in terms of criticism when the Sedins are used as pinatas for not scoring at a PPG in the playoffs.

NEVER MIND THAT SHIT! GREASY GOAL!

• Like 1