DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: EDGE

RIPPA

I originally wanted to do Christopher Daniels since the whole Fallen Angel thing fits perfectly this weekend and today is the 11th anniversary of him winning the Super 8. Of course - then I realized I burnt him doing my "Chris"tmas theme back in December.

So I am going with Edge - where today marks the 4 year anniversary of his last match. Yes, it has already been 4 years. You are all fucking old.

Of course I am now realizing I unintentionally picked both members of Rated RKO this week...

I am kinda indifferent about Edge - my favorite stuff being the tag match stuff with Christian or the giant clusterfuck matches where there a lot of other guys I like more.

That being said - the stuff against Taker was by far my favorite singles Edge stuff

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e3107_edge-vs-undertaker-wwe-wrestlemania-24_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1s8v0v_the-undertaker-vs-edge-extreme-rules-2008_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dxnyh_wwe-summerslam-2008-the-undertaker-vs-edge-hell-in-a-cell-match_sport

I think I did those in the right order

I always loved Edge but wow, he is up there with John Cena and Ox Baker as being one of the best ring workers ever with the worst finishers ever.  Ox's awesomeness made you believe that the Heart Punch actually worked.

Edge was great. Team ECK-era Edge was the high point, of course, but the Rated R superstar was good. Between his feuds with Cena and the Rated RKO team, I'd argue Edge had a hand in the formative years of the two men who, for better worse, have defined the main event scene for the better part of a decade.

Post-injury "Spear spear spear, spear spear spear spear" Edge wasn't as good, but I think you have to cut him some slack for that. He was obviously more beat-up than it seemed, and he was a better fit as a heel than a WWE-brand pandering face but had the post-comeback sympathy push.

He also had many, many good tag team runs under his belt -- Edge and Christian, Rated RKO, his teams with Mysterio during the Smackdown Six era, and his time with Jericho (I forget if they had a portmanteau name.)

Edge after he finished up with Cena and became like "the guy" on Smackdown can fuck right off. I was so glad when he retired. That Kane feud involving Paul Bearer is some of the worst shit ever.

Edge is one of those guys that for whatever reason captured my attention and interest when I first started watching and he was a low carder still in the Brood. But for whatever reason, I took a liking to him and he was my favorite wrestler for more than a decade. It was an amazing ride to get invested at the groundfloor with someone who eventually became an all-time great. I miss him like hell.

Also, he a great non-gimmick match worker too. Shut up.

• Like 1

Edge is one of those guys that for whatever reason captured my attention and interest when I first started watching and he was a low carder still in the Brood. But for whatever reason, I took a liking to him and he was my favorite wrestler for more than a decade. It was an amazing ride to get invested at the groundfloor with someone who eventually became an all-time great. I miss him like hell.

Examples or a retraction, please

Vs. Del Rio at 'Mania

Vs. Ziggler at Rumble

Vs. Morrison on a Random Smackdown

Vs. Orton on Raw after Backlash 2007

Vs. Undertaker at 'Mania 24

Vs. Cena many times

Vs. Punk many times

And many great Edge & Christian matches that didn't involve ladders.

• Like 1

Vs. Del Rio at 'Mania

Vs. Ziggler at Rumble

Vs. Morrison on a Random Smackdown

Vs. Orton on Raw after Backlash 2007

Vs. Undertaker at 'Mania 24

Vs. Cena many times

Vs. Punk many times

And many great Edge & Christian matches that didn't involve ladders.

The Morrison match online anywhere? I was thinking you had some more obscure examples, I've seen all that other shit and was not impressed.

I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't particularly care for the Edge&Christian era.  Probably wasn't bad, but the Dudleys/Hardys/E&C didn't interest me back then, so I paid very little attention to the tag team gimmick matches. 

Like Edge a lot as a singles character.  Edge/Lita was a fun pairing and I loved most of the Edge/Vicky stuff.  Went on too long, but most hot acts in wrestling do the same.

Never really thought Edge was a great singles worker, though I generally enjoyed his matches.  Still not sure what his moveset consisted of, once he stopped using the lifting DDT and the Edge-u-cator regularly.  Punch, punch, heel stuff, spear?  All in all, I'd put him down as a great chickenshit heel, if not a great in-ring guy.

I liked Edge a lot when he was with The Brood and Edge and Christian are one of my favorite tag teams.  They had fantastic chemistry both in and out of the ring and were always fun to watch.  When he became a solo wrestler and got higher up in the card, my interest in him plummeted.  Him being one of the top guys in the company was one of the reasons I rarely watched WWE from 04-10 or so, I just couldn't buy him as a dominant upper carder and he was always pushed far beyond his ability.