DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: RANDY ORTON

RIPPA

Okay - back to the grind. Last year, I clearly laid a trap with the April 1 WOTD. I clearly don't have as much energy for that this year so... Hey wait - It's Randy Orton's birthday today. CUE ADMIRAL AKBAR!!!

God - Fuck Randy Orton

http://youtu.be/yu6ev8G2efk

(There seem to be multiple matches vs. Christian up. This one looked the best and is supposedly NO DQ)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e2qey_randy-orton-vs-mark-henry-wwe-hell-in-a-cell-2011_sport

Years and years and years ago (I think the morning after the '04 Rumble) I posted on this board something about how Orton had somehow managed to master all the little things the separate great wrestlers from good ones, while not mastering any of the big things that separate good wrestlers from bad ones.

The weird thing is, over the last 11 years, he's gotten much, much better at the latter, but regressed at the former.  He's technically solid at everything, but there's just nothing interesting about him at all anymore.

The only version of Randy Orton I like is Evolution Entrance Randy Orton.

God, I miss the Legend Killer.

Fuck this new Viper I Hear Voices Randy Orton bullshit.

Years and years and years ago (I think the morning after the '04 Rumble) I posted on this board something about how Orton had somehow managed to master all the little things the separate great wrestlers from good ones, while not mastering any of the big things that separate good wrestlers from bad ones.

That's a pretty fair assessment. The weird thing about Orton is that we can all clearly tell the talent is there; he occasionally has some nights where he'll go out there and look like the greatest performer on the whole roster. (If there's ever been a better hardcore match from a decidedly non-hardcore wrestler than Randy's war against Foley at Backlash '04, I don't think I've seen it.) But more often than not, he goes out there and obviously Isn't Feeling It Tonight, Brother and sadly that awful nickname of "Blandy Snoreton" comes true.

Also, Max Landis's indescribably awesome wrestling summary/tribute/satire Wrestling Isn't Wrestling had a pretty hilarious take on Orton and the formation of Evolution.

(mildly NSFW):

Ril9QPa.gif

QOIarAl.gif

Eu0lkES.gif

• Like 1

The funny thing with Orton is that he was a natural at fundamental stuff while Cena was really sloppy at the beginning of their careers, but Cena grew by leaps and bounds and Orton took much longer to get really good. He also should have developed the Legend Killer/Evolution iteration of his character instead of The Viper stuff. It's a shame that at the peak of his push he was a bloated, resthold-heavy void of charisma since it's colored everyone's perception of him permanently. That dropkick though, ***.

That's just a goofy oversell by rvd. The Rollins one was picture perfect timing, delivery, and conception, with a nice degree of difficulty. It finally dislodged the run in RKO on Rey from the WrestleMania 23 build as my favorite RKO ever.

Also, yes, his dropkick is the best I've ever seen. Great height, looks impactful, always silky smooth...