DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

Sheamus's current look is 1000000000x better than his previous look. WWE is a company where look and character matter as much as in-ring stuff, so I could never get behind Sheamus no matter what a hoss he was being in the ring until now. Dude deserves a Most Improved Slammy.

• Like 1

"Manly beyond all wildest expectations" or something similar used to be a filter for gay around here.

I think pro wrestling has such an interesting history with the LGTBQ+ community. It's clearly homoerotic, but effeminate characters have been portrayed as villainous since its inception. At the same time, flamboyance is often a major trait in popular babyfaces, and some of those effeminate heels do get lengthy face runs. I also feel like wrestling has been welcoming to gay performers as well (which is not to discount stories of discrimination), if only because it's been a bastion of some of society's left behind folks. There's a pretty long list of gay wrestlers who have reached huge heights in the industry, and I'm really curious how the greater LGTBQ+ community views their accomplishments in what is typically considered low culture.

That dissertation is just sitting there waiting to be written.

I'd read it. That was damn insightful. 

• Like 1