DVDVR Message Board

odessasteps

I was lucky enough to get to see this in a 4-D theater. I'm not sure how many 4-D theaters there are in the States, or where they're located, but this was the absolute perfect movie to see in that kind of format.

And yeah, it was fun. Stuff gets broken, stuff gets blown up, I want my own giant freaking robot. Can't wait for the next one.

Can we get Ron Perlman to do a "War. . .war never changes" intro for the sequel? Because that would be awesome.

I liked this but man did it feel like only Ron and Max Martini were capable of carrying their roles. Everyone else felt overwhelmed, especially the irritating female character. Even Elba seemed to be unsure how to run with it.

Effects were awesome though, and as silly as Dance Dance Robot looked in the trailers, it was pretty well handled in the movie. Although I feel like a sword would be the best possible weapon to lead with, and they kinda AHA!'d it.

Saw this earlier in Morning today. I loved the action. I thought Elba and Perlman were great in their respective roles, and everyone else did a decent job. It was a pretty fun movie all in all. I hope it does well enough for a sequel.

I liked the Pentecost character WAYYYYYY more than Idris playing Janek in Prometheus. Janek came off as unauthentic whereas I could see Stacker Pentecost actually existing silly name aside. Both characters were written the exact same way with pretty similar outcomes. Pacific Rim actually gave you a reason to at least care slightly about him instead of being generic leader/captain #4345. Out of all the characters, the only problem I had is with Becket. The movie assumes that you can believe that what happened with his character and his brother was an aberration. You really don't see him prepare himself MENTALLY to get back into a Jaeger. I can see him better understanding all the risk involved (as emphasized in the movie), but you don't really get a good sense that he is fully prepared to take the task of risking himself and others. I would at least expect him to consider the lives of others more, but instead, he is pushing Kaijus into buildings that may or may not be occupied.

Stop hating on Tony Stark! I don't ever remember him doing anywhere close to the damage that Gipsy Danger was doing. Tony is more responsible than rolling in a suit that is 260 feet tall.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly shocked, but it dragged a lot in the second act. The quick takes and the fact that most of the battles took place either at night or during shitty weather didn't allow you to really get a good look at the beasties or the robots.  I found this mildly annoying.

Pentecost tilting his head and tugging down on his earlobe to hear Beckett's acknowledgement of his orders was fucking king sized.  Elba owned that role 100%, but Pentecost was the only character IMO that was fully fleshed out so Elba had a lot more to work with than anyone else did.

The fights between the humans were strangely more entertaining than the fights between the Jaeger and the Kaiju. Beckett sweeping Chuck Hansen into an omoplata was a thing of beauty.

I didn't totally mind the night nights.  The Gipsy/Knifehead fight the darkness worked, especially when they were working the angle of trying to find Knife, plus the neat effect of the floodlights on Gipsy highlighting the Kaiju once the did lock up.

I think they really should have called Chuck "Iceman" or whatever the asshole to the hero in Team America's name was.

FWIW, I thought Otachi was a pretty great monster.

I was all in after getting a glimpse of Knifehead.  I like to think his design was an homage to Guiron from one of the Gamera movies.

I saw it a bit like the Gyaos redesign from the Gamera reboot in the 90's.

Watching it I began to wonder just how much money they could have saved by having guys in suits during the battles.  There's very little that happens that would require a CG actor, and everything would move more fluidly.

This really is a movie meant to be seen in theaters. It just wouldn't have the same impact in a home setting. I loved the movie to pieces because it as exactly hat I thought it was going to be and sometimes that is a good thing. No love story to bog it down, no severely deep studies in character. Just giant robots fighting giant monsters. Its why I love going to the movies!

James

I liked this but man did it feel like only Ron and Max Martini were capable of carrying their roles. Everyone else felt overwhelmed, especially the irritating female character. Even Elba seemed to be unsure how to run with it.

I don't know if "overwhelmed" is the word I'd use, but I mostly agree with you about the acting being mostly off in this thing. Shockingly, CHARLIE DAY is the only guy in this movie who actually succeeds in being a character. Everybody else is just standing around being an archetype, either doing the absolute bare minimum or seemingly uncertain as to what exactly they're supposed to be doing. I like Elba as much as the next guy, but he's not some infallible uberthespian. Dude is a stick in this thing. The little bit he does with his ear toward the end is the only time Stacker really comes to life. Part of it was the terrible writing, sure, but part of it was him. If you put Tom Cruise in that role, as was the original idea, Cruise would have owned every perfunctory second of his screen time. Elba is one of those guys who's good if the script or the part is good, but if it's not, he's just out at sea with the rest of the movie. I think that's what's ultimately holding Elba back from being a bigger deal (besides the paucity of lead roles for black guys who aren't Denzel) - he hasn't yet developed that Movie Star quality where he can elevate material just by how much he convinces you he believes in what he's doing. Cruise has that. Denzel has that. And when they walked out in their flightsuit at the end, they would have made it mean something. As it is, you're just like, "Oh, he's about to heroically sacrifice himself in 15 minutes, okay..."Pearlman is fine, but he's clearly just playing "Ron Pearlman in a funny costume."

Part of it was the terrible writing, sure, but part of it was him. If you put Tom Cruise in that role, as was the original idea, Cruise would have owned every perfunctory second of his screen time. Elba is one of those guys who's good if the script or the part is good, but if it's not, he's just out at sea with the rest of the movie. I think that's what's ultimately holding Elba back from being a bigger deal (besides the paucity of lead roles for black guys who aren't Denzel) - he hasn't yet developed that Movie Star quality where he can elevate material just by how much he convinces you he believes in what he's doing. Cruise has that. Denzel has that. And when they walked out in their flightsuit at the end, they would have made it mean something. As it is, you're just like, "Oh, he's about to heroically sacrifice himself in 15 minutes, okay..."

I think Hollywood has already defined where he is at in the realm of black actors. That's both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in a sense that he'll never go long without a big project in from of him. He'll always be the go-to guy for being the staunch magical black authority figure who has integrity and self-respect. He just won't do a whole bunch (Thor). It's a curse in the sense that the only time he would actually get to elevate material is in stuff like Obsessed and Takers, which won't really good ideas to begin with. Those are Saturday night watch-with-your-favorite-gal type movies with Idris in roles that Denzel would never do. Denzel would never play the background, even in movies where he is suppose to be (Safe House, Unstoppable). Ryan Reynolds and Chris Pine were suppose to be the fucking heroes and got acted off the goddamn screen. The only time Idris did that in a movie was American Gangster probably and Denzel fucking shot him like a minute into that. He is going to play Janek from Prometheus roles unless they run out black leading men, fellow confined black English actors (Ejiofor, Oyelowo, the dude from Oz), or Anthony Mackie has to say no to it because he is in everything already.

Finally got around to seeing this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it.  As a huge robot anime fan it gave me everything I expected and then some.

(Although, I kept thinking that all they needed from the start was a mad professor like Kabuto or Saotome and they could have easily beat back the kaijus from the very beginning.)

Finally got around to seeing this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it.  As a huge robot anime fan it gave me everything I expected and then some. (Although, I kept thinking that all they needed from the start was a mad professor like Kabuto or Saotome and they could have easily beat back the kaijus from the very beginning.)

I expected to see a human/humanoid to be behind the kaiju attacks in the trench, a Desslock or Katse/Zoltar type
  • Like 1

I was almost thinking when they got to the trench that

it was going to be a Cthulhu monster as the boss instead of the little alien dudes.  When I saw it was sort of an octopus, I thought it almost might be.

I thought it was average all around. Edit it down to the fight scenes alone and then it probably reaches into really good territory which for me isn't a good thing. I wonder if Charlie Hunnam can do an American voice and have it NOT sound EXACTLY like Jax Teller. It was the same exact person he just gave up on SAMCRO to drive big mechs around.Just felt like the movie you pick up and skip your way though to see the fight scenes.