DVDVR Message Board

odessasteps

I loved the hell out of this movie. It's got flaws and I'm not going to act like just because it's right up my alley that the criticisms others have made aren't valid. The dialogue is often weak and there are some pretty bad performances. I haven't seen a ton of del Toro's work but I get the feeling that dialogue and fully developed adult characters are just not his strong point. However capturing a sense of childlike wonder, stunning visuals and an undaunted creative ambition are areas he doesn't have many modern peers, and that's the stuff that this movie is made of.

Some random thoughts without getting into much in the way of spoilers... the intro was one of the best parts. The narration from Raleigh did a great job of succintly setting the stage for a pretty wacky premise. And the montage during the intro complimented the backstory nicely. The score- awesome. This is a movie that would have felt off with a soundtrack of licensed music. The original score fit the tone perfectly and helped create memorable moments. I mentioned how del Toro excels in capturing childlike wonder, and the scene that is seen through the eyes of a child is among the best in the movie. Idris Elba took a character that he maybe didn't have the best idea how to play, and still made it his own, if that makes any sense. I thought he really held the cast together. There's a lot of other stuff running through my head but the only other thing I'll touch on, is that I just wish we had more. Not even in terms of a sequel, I wish they could tell more of the stories of the Jaegers and Kaiju during the time period of the first Kaiju appearance up until halfway into this movie. I didn't want the movie to be longer, but if they could supplement Pacific Rim with a comic series, or an animated film, I would be on that in a heartbeat.And I agree with JH 100% that this is a movie that benefits immensely from seeing it in the theater. Even the 3D was worth it, and I usually avoid 3D at all costs. So if there's anyone around these parts that was interested but going to wait for video, I'd strongly recommend catching this one while it's still in theaters.

• Like 1

I read an article on Comic Book Resources a few days ago, Guillermo Del Toro hired Guy Davis (all around awesome human being and artist extraordinaire) as  a production artists.  No wonder the Kaiju came out looking the way they did, he mixes the best of classic SciFi monsters with a touch of Lovecraftian horror.  If you haven't already you ought to check out his stellar work in the BPRD minis that are collected in trade paperback

• 3 weeks later...

As a guy who owns over 20 Godzilla movies on DVD, I loved this movie.

However, I saw it in Imax 3d. Imax GOOD. Imax 3d BAAAAAAAD. unless you sit in the back row, the slightest angling of your head, and the picture becomes fuzzy. So basically, I had to sit ramrod striaght through the whole movie. But this movie in Imax is SPECTACULAR.

It's been mentioned previously, but they did put out a comic prequel (gives background on the beginning of the Jaegers, Stacker and his former partner, and Choi's witnessing of K-Day (Which, by the way was this last weekend) . And del Toro does have a sequel planned, but it won't be for 4-5 years.

• 10 months later...

I don't know what you could do with Pacific Rim 2.  It was pretty good as it was.  A prequel would me nice, but the problem with prequel's is that you know how its gonna end already.  

I LOVED Pacific Rim. So awesome. Since it's been on HBO I've watched it about once a week, if not more. 

Idris Elba was wrong though, because it seems like the Pockyplypse was not cancelled.

I don't know what you could do with Pacific Rim 2.  It was pretty good as it was.  A prequel would me nice, but the problem with prequel's is that you know how its gonna end already.  

Yeah, the obvious thing to do would be to say the aliens are still alive and they try again to invade.  But that would totally invalidate the ending of the first movie.

I'd hope the aliens are dead and stay dead, but the humans don't know it.  So some nations go back to building Jaegers, but some others recruit Charlie Day's character to use Kaiju DNA to create more Kaiju and use his technique to drift with them to control them.  That way you can build your monster army with far smaller resource costs (and allow human builders to focus on reconstructing all the trashed buildings instead of Jaegers) (oh, and since the evil Kaiju kept getting bigger, this would allow them to breed "good" Kaiju that got bigger and bigger as well).  Then of course they lose control of the Kaijus and you're off.  Or maybe they keep control of them, but the nations go to war for different reasons and use the Kaiju and Jaegers as their WMD.

Anyway, that would keep the first movie valid and might allow for more exploration of what Earth society is like.  I'd have liked more of that in the first film, but I guess they didn't have time since they needed to introduce the concept and all the characters.  

• Like 1

So...Pacific Rim is like Transformers for people who can read?

In my fever dreams, yes!  In reality... well...  it's more like Transformers for people who like rainstorms.

It goes back to the line from the original trailer, something like "To fight the monsters, we had to create monsters of our own".  For whatever reason, that got me thinking the movie was going to have something to do with the societal implications of creating these massive superweapons.  Everybody on earth bands together to fight off the kaiju, but when they're gone, what happens?  Does everybody just keep getting along without a common enemy or do they start trying to grab the superweapons in order to take over the world?  Given what we know of human history, I'm guessing the latter. 

But that's the movie that I thought it was going to be.  And that's the movie I want the sequel to be!  But I wouldn't bet on that actually happening.  Pacific Rim was never trying to be a terribly smart movie.  It succeeded at what it was attempting.  I just misjudged what it was going to attempt.

Does Pacific Rim 2 really need a plot.  Giant robots fight monsters.  The parts of Pacific Rim I with...y'know.... plot and dialogue and actors.... were the weakest parts of the movie.

Giant monster attacks New York.  Giant robot attacks giant monster.  Citizens of New York line streets and chant "Two monsters enter, one monster leaves".  There's the first draft of the script.

If anything we're in for a treat. GDT seems to knock sequels out of the park. Both Blade 2 and Hellboy 2 were leaps and bounds better than their initial installments. I'm hoping for the same with this one, but three years is a long fucking time.