DVDVR Message Board

odessasteps

Given its super high nerd quotient, i figure it deserves its own thread.

Plus, im sitting in the theatre waiting for it to start.

Torrential downpour in Philly suburbs + 10:20 showing = giant theater with maybe 10 people in it so far.

So....

It was a technological FX marvel.

Idris was great. The Japanese lady was good and super pretty,

NOW....

i can't decide

Was this movie super formulaic as a pomo commentary on kaiju tropes? Or just more predictable than a paint by number set?

I'm really interested in seeing this because it's got nerd boner material all over it what with the giant monsters and the giant monsters.  Just tell me it's not terrible.  Sometimes you want a cheeseburger to be a cheeseburger.

Of note from promo stuff I saw:

Ron Perlman as a sleazy eastern medicine (with giant monster parts) sales man:

And the Kaiju Survival Guide handout:

www.pacificrimmovie.com/media/kaiju_download.pdf

Holy shit, Marine Boy. I used to watch that on Philly UHF 29 or 17 after school when I was little. They used to show Ultraman, Marine Boy and the sixties Spider-Man.

Oh, and Pacific Rim got a great review on NPR this morning, for whatever that's worth.

I caved and went to see it tonight.  I had a good time.  I mean, it's nothing ground breaking storywise, but the effects are great, the monsters were awesome.

I wanna say it's probably the best possible Independence Day.

• Like 1

I was thrown by blond hair.  When I saw him, I thought "Who's the Jack O'Halloran lookalike".  I think it's a scale thing too.  When I think of Kurrgan, I'd expect him to be a live action version of a jaeger.  With the perspective shots, he didn't look as huge as he normally does.

I did find his headshot on IMDB:

Posted Image

Why do I have flashbacks of the Dan Spivey actor/model shots?

It is exactly was it is, and I thought it whipped all sorts of ass. Didn't stay through the credits(goddamn it). Saw it in 3d, very much worth the extra price. A great popcorn movie, and Idris is fucking great. . .

It is exactly was it is, and I thought it whipped all sorts of ass. Didn't stay through the credits(goddamn it). Saw it in 3d, very much worth the extra price. A great popcorn movie, and Idris is fucking great. . .

You actually don't have to stay through the whole credits, there's one cookie for those that stick around for the main credits, once it gets into the bulk of the tech credits.

You just missed Ron Perlman's character slicing his way out of the baby Kaiju's belly going "Where is my God damn shoe?".  Fun stuff

So Pacific Rim finished third at the box office this weekend behind Despicable Me 2 and ugh Grown Ups 2.... It didn't have a horrible weekend since it finished with just over $38million but you would have to think that the studio is a bit concerned with that number considering the films $180million budget.

The Grown Ups 2 thing is just stupid though. This is why we can't have nice things.

I am curious how this film does on the international market.  It could be a major success in the Japanese market, given the "larger than life"  Anime come to lifesubject matter and having a verifiable japanese lead actress in Kikuchi.

It did earn the most money for a Del Toro film beating out Hellboy 2 which had an opening weekend of 35 million

I think the problem is that it sounds like Del Toro was doing the other movies with a much lower budget.

I don't know, maybe it's in a weird position of being a PG-13 and probably being a bit too scary for a really young audience.  You had a cast who are mostly known from basic cable shows. 

I don't think you can say they were tanking on advertisement because it got a lot of commercial play for the upcoming week.  I was kind of on the fence (because I generally hate going the theater because I hate people) despite this being in my wheelhouse of giant monsters and giant robots, the fact it was getting good reviews is what made me decide to go see it 45 minutes before the last showing of the night in my local theater.

I know that IMDB claims Pacific Rim 2 is in the works, with other things coming up like the Wolverine, I'm not sure if the nerd dollars will be there.

That said:  recut trailers of Pac Rim I'd like to see...

- It's Always Sunny in Hong Kong

- The trailer recut with a giant robot anime theme (I vote for Big O or Mazinger Z for the rocket punch).

I don't know why people are griefing over PacRim's take.  WWZ did about the same the first week on around the same budget (allegedly) and it's doing fine and dandy.  Even if it's a terrible movie (I've heard nothing but good things) it'll have legs and make a profit.