DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So I watched the Iron Sheik documentary "The Sheik" on Netflix. Man, it really is good. I always thought all that stuff about him being a bodyguard for The Shah was not a big deal but they dug up photos and some film. Sheiky baby was also quite a handsome man back then.

One thing I was impressed with was how they pulled this off with zero video from the WWE. Lots of photos were used in place. There was a clip of a Sheik/Brusier Brody match. Does anyone have any idea where this match took place? I'm gonna guess it had to be Puerto Rico sometime in late 87 after Sheik got fired for being caught with coke while riding with Duggan. Overall it's pretty good and considering where it was headed when the third act started, it's amazing he's still with us.

Question/thought I had while watching an old CZW event last night: If he had been clean and not passed away, where do you think Trent Acid would have ended up? I haven't watched a lot of this stuff since it happened when I was in high school so my memories of him are hazy at best and clouded with nostalgia. I remember him being entertaining and someone who was capable of pulling out a good match in the right situation. Would he have been brought into developmental if he was clean and sober?

I was a big Acid fan back in the day, and he definitely had positives that could have earned him a developmental role: good look, naturally charismatic, competent wrestler. The Backseats would always get a long WWE tag title reign on my EWR campaigns. Going against him would be the fact that he could be pretty sloppy on occasion, and by the time the WWE were heavily going for name indy guys, his style meant he'd likely have been too broken down even if he was clean.

He must have been at least known by the company though, as this happened...

http://youtu.be/djI2dyY8Z64

My favorite Acid/Backseats memory was the first ROH/CZW DH in 2002. The people on the NY bus cheered them wildly, which caused Acid to get on the mic and say the fans sucked so bad that they had to bring in real fans from NY. Then him and Kashmere threw the dollar bills they collected from female fans at us saying "New York this is how much we love you!". The announcer on the video screaming they have to pay people to cheer for them made it even funnier when I watched it.

So I watched the Iron Sheik documentary "The Sheik" on Netflix. Man, it really is good. I always thought all that stuff about him being a bodyguard for The Shah was not a big deal but they dug up photos and some film. Sheiky baby was also quite a handsome man back then.

One thing I was impressed with was how they pulled this off with zero video from the WWE. Lots of photos were used in place. There was a clip of a Sheik/Brusier Brody match. Does anyone have any idea where this match took place? I'm gonna guess it had to be Puerto Rico sometime in late 87 after Sheik got fired for being caught with coke while riding with Duggan. Overall it's pretty good and considering where it was headed when the third act started, it's amazing he's still with us.

Sheiky and Brody wrestled in WCCW in '87.

• Like 1

I was talking to a lady on the light rail after Mania she is from Philly and trained to be a wrestler by Trent Acid and Johnny Cashmere and she said they were smiling crack while training. I don't know why she stayed I would have left the first time they smoked crack. She also said she got kicked out of the ROH training camp first day for cursing out CM Punk.

Man, there was a time when I loved Trent Acid and thought it was inevitable he was gonna be a monster star for WWE. Such a waste.

Did you ever see "Card Subject To Change"? Acid was featured in that pretty heavily.

The Sheik documentary is great despite being titled after the wrong person, which will bug me forever

They totally broke kayfabe admitting they write Sheiky's Twitter. It's still real to me, damnit.

• Like 1

Picked up Hardcore Diary by Foley at a thrift store and sped through it. Really got to me thinking about how much goodwill Foley squandered. 

I think some of it is definitely WWE minimizing a big of a star he was during the Attitude Era and killing him with booking, but a lot of it is how he's came off poorly in interviews and his books.  Am I the only one that thinks he has go-away heat?

I also kind of get a Colt Cabana vibe with Mick about the jokes and comments he makes about wrestling  fans (usually denigrating) aren't really jokes, but reflect how he really feels. 

So yeah, when did it all go wrong for Foley?

Foley always gets good reactions still. Not great ones like Austin or something, but he's seen more often.

When he absolutely upstaged Rollins and Ambrose last year in the hiac build, it was kind of sad, really, since Dean is just about the best mic man they have now and couldn't bring half as much intensity and importance to the match as Mick.

That said, parts of Hardcore Diary are pretty creepy.

I misread a headline on PWInsider, and it got me thinking -- with the WWE trying to fill their network with reality-show knockoffs, and with their constant vain pursuit of pop culture acceptance, they should work on a hybrid Tough Enough/Dancing With the Stars programme.

You could pair downmarket celebrities with wrestlers (like early NXT), have them work with the trainers at Full Sail, and build enough "reality tv" tension that you could probably get at least one PPV sideshow match a season out of it.

This thread of conversation makes me wonder: What is the best product of Vince McMahon's desire to branch out from just being a wrasslin' sports entertainment promoter?

Is it The Call? "Tough Enough?" I'm sure there are many things that I'm missing.