DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

About to post that.

She more or less single handily kicked off and forced the diva division revival, was at one point massively over (Jae says the most over in the company although I'm not sure I'd go quite that far) and was for a time my flat out favorite act in WWE.

I kinda think who she's married too is going to possibly prevent a well deserved hall of fame induction.

Given that Bruno, Warrior, Savage, Madusa, and Bret all were thought to be impossible for the HOF... Punk and AJ aren't out of the question.

It's kind of like the scene in Almost Famous where the older sister leaves home to become a stewardes:

Mom: "She'll be back"

[O.C. Tires peeling out and sister yelling "WHOOHOOOO!"]

Mom: "Probably not SOON."

About to post that.

She more or less single handily kicked off and forced the diva division revival, was at one point massively over (Jae says the most over in the company although I'm not sure I'd go quite that far) and was for a time my flat out favorite act in WWE.

Seriously? Her reign helped kill the divas division even more as she never really put anyone over in any decent manner in the ring or on the mic. The slow revival of the division really has only just begun and honestly has more to do with the Bellas and NXT.

• Like 2

Really, more than Sika should be upset about Reigns losing at WrestleMania.  It's a fine finish for Extreme Rules but Reigns needed the win at WrestleMania regardless of any vocal backlash from that particular live audience.  Lesnar's gone again and Reigns has to go on to carry one of the tours.  Reigns going on Good Morning America while wearing the wounds of war while showing highlights of said war might've picked up some new viewers.  I can't imagine any new viewers coming out of Seth Rollins explaining that he traded in a briefcase to get the title because, now take yourself out of the wrestling bubble for a second, that sounds amazingly stupid.

Strangely, on the contrary- just explaining the concept of Money in the Bank to my mother (a non-fan, despite me and both my siblings loving wrestling) made her instantly get it and think it was interesting, and considering how fans of "regular" sports have put "Money in the Bank" as their "farfetched idea that'll never happen in a real sport in a million years but it doesn't change they want it so much", it would have legs if the Today Show went more in-depth about how Rollins got there.

How hard is it to explain the following to people:

-There's a briefcase running around the promotion.

-When you win the briefcase, you can trade that briefcase in at any time in the next year for a shot at the World Championship.

-When they say "any time", they mean "ANY TIME"- after the World Champ's been in a grueling match, after the World Champion's been beaten to a pulp by someone else, in the middle of someone else's title match to make it a triple threat when neither guy can defend themselves, or if you're boring you can even call it in in advance to get a shot scheduled

If you can't get non-fans excited about that, you're not trying hard enough.

I can see where a non fan, or a casual would be super excited about Money in the Bank, especially if it was new to them.  Me, personally, I'd LOVE for them to retire the gimmick.  It's really run it's course, and has become nothing more than a crutch they use instead of building someone up to the title.

AJ's departure is a perfect storm of events coming together.  Punk's lawsuit and apathy toward WWE/wrestling in general, her own injuries, her desire to have a normal life, frustration of having to hear CM PUNK chants when busting her backside for her own career.  It all collided, and she bounced.

About to post that.

Seriously? Her reign helped kill the divas division even more as she never really put anyone over in any decent manner in the ring or on the mic. The slow revival of the division really has only just begun and honestly has more to do with the Bellas and NXT.
I still don't get that argument. She was the only one getting reactions until others worked with her, she outclassed the whole division until a few of them stepped up their game to match her, and then Paige came in. She was the lynchpin to all of it, both in ring and on the mic and carried the division on her back for two years..
  • Like 5

About to post that.

I still don't get that argument. She was the only one getting reactions until others worked with her, she outclassed the whole division until a few of them stepped up their game to match her, and then Paige came in. She was the lynchpin to all of it, both in ring and on the mic and carried the division on her back for two years..

She was the only one getting reactions because she was the only one who had gotten real segments for the last few years. Its also easy to outclass others when you;re the only one being given opportunities. AJ didn't carry anything. She mostly crapped on the division while talking herself up.

• Like 2

Total Divas really set back the Diva's division.  It seems like AJ's long reign coincided with WWE not wanting to put the title on any cast member.  It's only now with the main roster's frustration that the NXT women's division is outclassing them that we're getting the "give Diva's a change" movement.

• Like 1

I can see where a non fan, or a casual would be super excited about Money in the Bank, especially if it was new to them.  Me, personally, I'd LOVE for them to retire the gimmick.  It's really run it's course, and has become nothing more than a crutch they use instead of building someone up to the title.

The gimmick is just fine when put on a slimy heel or cocksure babyface, (Edge/Rollins/Punk) It's when the amount of push received doesn't warrant the briefcase that it really doesn't work too well. (Swagger, Sandow)

I'd like to see something besides a money in the bank ladder match each year. Maybe do an elimination chamber match this year instead.

Plies, some rapper/internet celebrity, got belly to belly suplexed off the stage by some fan he had beef with last night. Seriously, go find the vid and enjoy! (sorry I'm on my phone, can't post the link)

• Like 1

Question/thought I had while watching an old CZW event last night: If he had been clean and not passed away, where do you think Trent Acid would have ended up? I haven't watched a lot of this stuff since it happened when I was in high school so my memories of him are hazy at best and clouded with nostalgia. I remember him being entertaining and someone who was capable of pulling out a good match in the right situation. Would he have been brought into developmental if he was clean and sober?