DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

In terms of convincing someone to go along with his bullshit, the XFL has to rank up there. He managed to get NBC to give him a primetime spot for that.

In terms of ACTUAL success, having his wife be a major party nominee and come within 10 points of winning a US Senate seat as a Republican candidate in a blue state has to rank up there. 

Has anyone done a history/review of the XFL that goes beyond "Lol Vince failed"?

There were so many things that went wrong that they had little control over, but could have been alleviated with a little foresight.

Has anyone done a history/review of the XFL that goes beyond "Lol Vince failed"?

There were so many things that went wrong that they had little control over, but could have been alleviated with a little foresight.

I don't remember the website now, sorry, but there was a pretty damn good oral history a year or two back somewhere on the web.

Short training camps + allowing corners to press all the way down the field, thus suppressing scoring and making the offenses look awful probably doomed the XFL as a product more than anything. 

On the other hand, anyone who really liked watching football in 1957 probably enjoyed the XFL quite a bit. 

XFL was a huge ratings success.... for the first week.  It had all the intrigue.  What it didn't have were talented players.

He Hate Me

That's one of literally two things I remember about the XFL.  The other is a guy lying on the ground with one foot facing the wrong way.

It's a shame Kurt Angle can't pass physicals or whatever, because what a great full circle moment that would be. Kevin Owens would probably benefit the most from that type of debut, though. Not that I don't like the other guys you listed, as any one of them would be great in the role, or they wouldn't have been signed, but I think Owens would be the most believable and get the most longevity out of it. His character just says "anti-Cena" much more than any of the other guys.

• Like 2

So what is the end game of Cena's US title challenge?

If they keep rolling through midcarders each week he has maybe 2-3 months with the belt. Maybe they hold it out through SummerSlam.

Do we get a debut from someone in NXT ala Cena's debut all those years ago? Zayn? Corbin? Balor? Itami? Owens? Breeze?

Is there a 'free agent' that would get a big enough pop? Joe? Styles?

They need to sprinkle in some suprises and close calls otherwise as soon as the oppenents music hits this just becomes 'Cena wins lol' in the midcard.

I first read this as "Joey Styles" and just imagined Joey Styles showing up.

Ok this probably makes me a bad person. I love Joey Styles, I've been listening to him call matches since I was 9 years old and first stumbled onto ECW on MSG-- tons and tons of classic matches I've heard out of him--- but forgive me, every time I see his name, all I hear is "He mocks GOD!!"

So what is the end game of Cena's US title challenge?

If they keep rolling through midcarders each week he has maybe 2-3 months with the belt. Maybe they hold it out through SummerSlam.

Do we get a debut from someone in NXT ala Cena's debut all those years ago? Zayn? Corbin? Balor? Itami? Owens? Breeze?

Is there a 'free agent' that would get a big enough pop? Joe? Styles?

They need to sprinkle in some suprises and close calls otherwise as soon as the oppenents music hits this just becomes 'Cena wins lol' in the midcard.

I first read this as "Joey Styles" and just imagined Joey Styles showing up.

Hey, he knocked out JBL. Joey Styles ain't someone to fuck with.

• Like 3

The XFL did give us the SkyCam. The only thing the NFL adopted from that league.

He Hate Me weeps.

Lol, and I totally forgot about Tommy Maddox. He did lead the Steelers to a playoff run, but the Steelers were obviously itching to play Roethlisberger. At least he got a Super Bowl ring

• Like 1

I remember that former Univ of Miami qb Ryan Clement was in the league so I used to try and catch Las Vegas games to see him. When I lived in ATL, I knew a guy who had actually been a diehard fan (well about as diehard as you could be in a year) of the Birmingham team. He went to all of their home games and one of their road games. The XFL was gone when I knew him but I remember he had all a couple of jerseys and signed merchandise.

The XFL would've benefited from a year of exhibition games to iron things out before going live in primetime. I don't why NBC thought it was a good idea to throw those kids out there. 

They weren't kids. It was just a bunch of hasbeens and neverwheres. Scott Milanovich was the #1 overall pick.

I don't remember the website now, sorry, but there was a pretty damn good oral history a year or two back somewhere on the web.

Sadly, it's sbnation.  So...sorry.

But still, it's a good piece.

• Like 1