DVDVR Message Board

RAW 03/30/15

The Natural

Isn't New Day's gimmick more offensive than three black guys who aren't happy with institutional racism (within WWE and society in general)? I mean, yeah, WWE would fuck that up of course, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a less gimmicky, bad ass face version of Nation of Domination.

But they don't come across as badasses IMO despite Big E being Big E. 

The gimmick has no cultural anima like the Usos or the Lucha Dragons or Tony Atlas / Rocky Johnson and it and does not provoke like the Rodney Mack White Boy Challenge did.  The New Day gimmick is kinda just there. 

I wouldn't even mind the New Day gimmick if we had gotten two minutes of promo explaining why they were doing what they were doing. I'm not looking for much. "Hi we're Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods and one day we noticed that all of us clap in one way or another in our entrances and ring taunts and we thought 'why not just clap even more as a unit? and now it's a New Day.' I'll take it. Just give me SOMETHING. 

How about "creative had nothing else for us and it was this or get released. We picked this and were able to see a new day...and we like clapping...and we like pastel colors."

Isn't New Day's gimmick more offensive than three black guys who aren't happy with institutional racism (within WWE and society in general)? I mean, yeah, WWE would fuck that up of course, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a less gimmicky, bad ass face version of Nation of Domination.

But they don't come across as badasses IMO despite Big E being Big E. 

The gimmick has no cultural anima like the Usos or the Lucha Dragons or Tony Atlas / Rocky Johnson and it and does not provoke like the Rodney Mack White Boy Challenge did.  The New Day gimmick is kinda just there. 

I wouldn't even mind the New Day gimmick if we had gotten two minutes of promo explaining why they were doing what they were doing. I'm not looking for much. "Hi we're Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods and one day we noticed that all of us clap in one way or another in our entrances and ring taunts and we thought 'why not just clap even more as a unit? and now it's a New Day.' I'll take it. Just give me SOMETHING. 

How about "creative had nothing else for us and it was this or get released. We picked this and were able to see a new day...and we like clapping...and we like pastel colors."

Xavier Woods, alone in the locker room. "I wish I had friends."

Kofi Kingston, several lockers down: "No one seems to like clapping as much as I do."

Big. E, several more lockers down: "What am I gonna do with all of this Easter blue fabric? Joann Fabric doesn't do returns after 30 days!"

*the three slowly look up and at each other*

Xavier: Oh my god.

• Like 5

So what were the fans chanting during the Divas match that has everyone up in arms? I was watching on my laptop so I heard a number of chants- I just have no idea what was chanted. Also, why are there no crazy post Royal Rumble and SummerSlam crowds? What city started the crazy WM crowd stuff? Was that Mania after the Bryan stuff? I remember post WM wasn't always as nuts. Is Daniel Bryan in part to blame for the post-WM standard that has been set?

J.T.'s got a point. For a New Nation type gimmick to work it'd have to be (and sadly, this reminds me of the fake Vince/HHH thing a couple pages back) R Truth on the stick, Big E as the junior hoss, and Mark as the senior hoss. Xavier and Kofi are the guys those guys used to clown on and/or beat up in high school. 

Yeah, but Kofi can be convincing! Somebody post that promo where he's talking about socioeconomics and shit!

THIS ONE:

And didn't Woods cut a really good pissed off promo before they were taken off TV and sent to the seminary?

Mark should've been their inspirational leader from the get go, man. They aren't using him in anything else, why the hell not?

This should be a thing on our TVs twice a week, dammit!

UaABJ47.gif

Didn't the idea for New Day come from Big E's father being a preacher?

I remember the first few times I saw their new vignettes, I thought they were just advertisements for some local church.  Then I remembered I was watching a stream of Raw from England and not ROH on the local CW channel.

I had no idea what the crowd was chanting during the match but that's really fucked up. 

20,000 guys who can't get a date in a room with hot chicks they obsess over. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.  I'm completely done with the post-Mania crowds. It's the biggest collection of entitled jackass fans on the planet.

• Like 2

Paul Heyman was wrestling gold last night.

My client, Brock Lesnar, ALMOST respects Roman Reigns..

After what I said before Raw yesterday, I feel as if Paul was trolling me.

Oh, I know. But I can dream, right?

We haven't discussed Rusev. Listen, I love Goldust.  Dustin is the fucking man and Spring Stampede '94 was the greatest PPV of all time. That and WM31 are the top 2.  :P

With that said, HUGE step down for Rusev. Plus, it looks like maybe they are splitting him and Lana?  Not good..  The Bulgarian Brute doesn't need to be squashing more midcarders. He needs to win a feud over an established guy.

• Like 1

Anyone think the big ratings numbers have anything to do with the ESPN coverage?

Likely it was more positive buzz about Mania and the fact where it's now been well-established that surpises happen on the night-after show. They've done a very good job over the last few years establishing that this particular episode matters.

Anyone think the big ratings numbers have anything to do with the ESPN coverage?

Likely it was more positive buzz about Mania and the fact where it's now been well-established that surpises happen on the night-after show. They've done a very good job over the last few years establishing that this particular episode matters.

It's the other 51 they need help with.

• Like 2

As a fan of both Daniel Bryan and indie rasslin...I really don't know how to respond to ebbie's comments.

I mean, what do I even say to that?

Honestly at a loss here...and no idea where the "sexist" part came from, either.

As usual, some enlightenment is in order.

She says that all the time whenever she looks silly in a discussion.

Big E is so good and deserves way better. They should have done the "nerd friends" thing they were going to do originally, at least going by one of the more popular rumors. Maybe WWE could have paid Donald Glover to show up and be their ultimate black nerd friend. Plus, just let Big E write his own promos because dude is hilarious to someone like me from the Homestar Runner/Adult Swim generation.

Also, it's really interesting that the best some folks can do is fling ad hominems to show how they are better wrestling fans than other wrestling fans. That shows a real maturity level and adeptness at argument. There are tons of mouthbreathers on earth in general, but conflating "mouthbreathers" with "people who actually connect with and care about a wrestler" is a new level of weirdness from the types of wrestling fans that want to show that they watch wrestling "the right way."

Brock vs Cameraman. Book it.

The cameraguy would be more popular than Roman probably.

While Brock is to be feared, he wants no part of the Cinematographers guild.

Though camera guy's putting their camera's down and refusing to shoot Brock in a sign of solidarity with their fallen comrade could be awesome.