DVDVR Message Board

RAW 03/30/15

The Natural

Christ, listening to Alvarez and his reports about what the crowd were chanting at the woman are horrible.

Pigs.

Not to mention all the little kids around. You think people would at least try and carry themselves with a modicum of class. Yeah, way to reinforce negative stereotypes about wrestling fans.

Last show I went to, it was the kids yelling horrid things, strangely enough. So loud and obnoxious that we (Sweetser was there for this, as it was in his area in San Diego) moved to an empty part of the arena instead... Right in front of a pre-debut John Cena.

Yup, I remember that - March 2001 in San Diego.  Main was HHH vs. Austin.

I don't actually recall the kids yelling anything too bad - they were just really loud in that squeaky kid way and we were too tired to hear it.  So yup, we went up to the upper deck that was totally empty - except for UPW's John Cena, who was literally sprawled out over six seats and two rows.  Cool guy.

The shot from the camera the cameraman was holding of Brock coming at him is something they need to reuse unto eternity if it exists.

That was like something out of a horror film.

gif plz!
I hope im wrong but it looked like a gimmick camera, as in there was no wire or anything coming out of it. Maybe someone more in the know could shed a better light on this.

Also, its been mentioned earlier but Brock smiling during the Suplex City chants was awesome

Yeah, I didn't see the show myself so I was just hoping that camera shot exists. If it does, just think -- Brock coming at him, the camera toss and shot of the crowd, or however else it landed... damn.

You'd think they could sacrifice a camera for something that awesome.

Wrestling fans will always have a large percentage of mouthbreathers.

It really sucks because the women are obviously putting in a ton of effort into the in-ring product. The Bellas' improvement has been outstanding. I really do think this behavior is going to continue, especially in front of the smark-y crowds who should really know better. But then I think about the social and sexual repression of people who rank Daniel Bryan's backstage treatment as the political cause of their lifetime and shudder beyond belief.

• Like 2

Damn I feel bad for New Day.

They could have been over as hell if they could have at least had a promo when they debuted. Just Xavier Woods saying "Kofi is a high flying veteran and Big E is a god damn freight train and that's why we're all teaming up." Something. Anything. Instead they just got rolled out as the worst shuck and jive happy clappy and everyone instantly shit on it. 

That said, I really enjoyed that 8 man tag. Cesaro and Kidd, who are confusingly not named the Brass Ring Generals are aces, and THE ASCENSION has a nice 'Orient Express/Beverly Brothers' late 80's/early 90's spot where you're like 'oh these guys are nobodies but I'm happy to watch the Steiners mow them down for a few minutes.'

It's crowds like this that are the reason why companies shy away from advertising with WWE.  The perception of said mouthbreathers has lots of evidence to support it, even if many fans know better.  Hard to blame anybody who doesn't want to do business when you see shit like that.

It's a weird feeling for me as I don't want to come across like a social justice warrior or anything.  But upon hearing what they chanted, it's pretty hard not to.  And you can't even blame San Jose for this as most of the crowd doesn't live there.  Shit, I'd be in full support of just going to a town as far away from Wrestlemania as possible.  Texas is a huge state, book it as far away from Dallas as possible.

The worst part about New Day to me is that I still think they were going to go heel and be the New Nation before Ferguson exploded. Shit, they could have been the new Gangstas even with fans explicitly cheering them on, but it's just too politically sensitive. Instead we get this namby-pamby shit that's dead on arrival. 

EDIT: Then again knowing WWE it would end up being some Muhammad Hassan levels of fucked-upery. 

The Ascension don't look as green as they used to, but those mother fuckers are still pretty unsafe. 

At least they've apparently chatted with someone in Creative who convinced them to rid of the guyliner in favor of proper face paint in order to showcase the Illuminati motif gimmick they've got going on.

Aside from the crowd, I really dug this show.  

Luchadragons were great.

Ziggler-Bryan was super fun and Sheamus' return was awesome.  I liked the stupid crowd chanting something at a heel and him telling them to chant more and them agreeing "He wants us to chant more and give him heat, we'll show him, let's chant LOUDER!"

The Lesnar stuff should have come at the end cuz it kinda derailed the show.

Cena-Ambrose was incredible.  Two super-over dudes dropping bombs.  I enjoyed the douche crowd booing Cena, then getting into the match and popping at his victory, then going back to booing.  "We hate you, We love this match, Hooray the guy we hate won!  Wait...no we hated him!"

Ending was a little flat.

Next year I'd push the big Raw back one week and make the night after a series of recaps and interviews, some pre-taped matches from Mania weekend and hype the upcoming Raw.

• Like 2

The worst part about New Day to me is that I still think they were going to go heel and be the New Nation before Ferguson exploded. Shit, they could have been the new Gangstas even with fans explicitly cheering them on, but it's just too politically sensitive. Instead we get this namby-pamby shit that's dead on arrival. 

Yeah.  WWE used to embrace controversy and now they wisely head it off at the pass. Who knew?

I kinda miss the WWE that would've put The New Day over The State Patrol or The Trooper & The Big Bossman or any tag team working a police officer gimmick the day after the Ferguson riots, but I am also kinda glad it isn't around anymore.

Next year I'd push the big Raw back one week and make the night after a series of recaps and interviews, some pre-taped matches from Mania weekend and hype the upcoming Raw.

No way Vince would ever give up a date to make live event money. I think they should do just like they did, get all the favorites out early, let the girls wrestle, then end it with pretty much everyone they're gonna boo so they can get their rage out at the end. Really the fans should be happy Vince didn't super troll them and have Reigns win the belt on RAW or pin Rollins in that 6 man

Isn't New Day's gimmick more offensive than three black guys who aren't happy with institutional racism (within WWE and society in general)? I mean, yeah, WWE would fuck that up of course, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a less gimmicky, bad ass face version of Nation of Domination.

I get that there's a strong antismark sentiment here but the crowd was pretty rad for good portion of the show. Then the divas tag happened. I did like how they rejected the main event. Kane and Big Show should not be anywhere near the top of the card in 2015. You have a ridiculously deep talent pool at your disposal and Kane/Big Show are what you stick with? Fuck that noise.

• Like 2

Wrestling fans insulting other wrestling fans lol. I'd take that Raw crowd any day over the usual audience that's dead for everything but Bryan and Cena. I didn't hear the you suck Bryan etc chants directed towards the divas while watching live, but that's the only tasteless chant I've heard of from the show. There was a let's go divas chant towards the end. That match was pretty rough tbh.

Isn't New Day's gimmick more offensive than three black guys who aren't happy with institutional racism (within WWE and society in general)? I mean, yeah, WWE would fuck that up of course, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a less gimmicky, bad ass face version of Nation of Domination.

But they don't come across as badasses IMO despite Big E being Big E. 

The gimmick has no cultural anima like the Usos or the Lucha Dragons or Tony Atlas / Rocky Johnson and it and does not provoke like the Rodney Mack White Boy Challenge did.  The New Day gimmick is kinda just there. 

But they don't come across as badasses IMO despite Big E being Big E. 

The gimmick has no cultural anima like the Usos or the Lucha Dragons or Tony Atlas / Rocky Johnson and it and does not provoke like the Rodney Mack White Boy Challenge did.  The New Day gimmick is kinda just there. 

I wouldn't even mind the New Day gimmick if we had gotten two minutes of promo explaining why they were doing what they were doing. I'm not looking for much. "Hi we're Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods and one day we noticed that all of us clap in one way or another in our entrances and ring taunts and we thought 'why not just clap even more as a unit? and now it's a New Day.' I'll take it. Just give me SOMETHING.