DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Ronda Rousey is the new Pitbull I guess.  The last PPV she main evented got 500K+ buys, more than any WWE PPV not named "WrestleMania" in many years.  More people in the US know who Ronda Rousey is than Roman Reigns.  Believe that.

Quite a low bar you're setting, there.

I know who Ronda Rousey is, and I imagine she's quite famous for an MMA star, which is still not very famous. I don't care, though. I care that Ronda Rousey showed up at Mania about as much as I care that Travis Barker was playing drums for that stupid fucking song that I finally don't have to listen to anymore. There was no reason for that segment to eat up a chunk of the biggest PPV of the year. It helped no one.

ETA: As for the "no one lost their spot on the card for that skit" - the battle royal was bumped from the main show two days ago.

Yeah, Rousey is the biggest female star in sports behind Serena and maybe Danica. Sorry they bumped the matadors. Also, Lana and Rusev are my favorite act in WWE but they took a giant piss on America for 11 months, beat Cena last month and I think technically invaded America with that tank. Cena evoked FDR, Regan, Obama and W on WTC rubble to motivate himself. If that finish pissed you off, that's kinda you going off the reservation on what logical booking is.

• Like 6

Yeah, Rousey is the biggest female star in sports behind Serena and maybe Danica. Sorry they bumped the matadors. Also, Lana and Rusev are my favorite act in WWE but they took a giant piss on America for 11 months, beat Cena last month and I think technically invaded America with that tank. Cena evoked FDR, Regan, Obama and W on WTC rubble to motivate himself. If that finish pissed you off, that's kinda you going off the reservation on what logical booking is.

Look, I don't buy into the Rusev hype, but every one of his opponents has been playing up the USA! USA! shit and lost.  Every single one.

I think it's more people objecting to Cena being the one to do it because it's a win that could probably have helped someone else.

You finally get Sting after 14 years and put him into a match where I thought both guys were bringing it then totally ruin it it with 100 run ins. Nonsensical run ins as is. NWO helping Sting? It would have been better for Brett and Flair and maybe Booker T. Then after all the run ins you have HHH win by hitting him with a sledgehammer and they shake hands?? There has to be more for Sting,or they just made him into the biggest chump ever.

The handshake was silly, but the NWO appearance was more about getting them to interact with DX than any allegiance with Sting. It's contrived, but ya'll are overthinking it.

Besides, it's wrestling, kayfabe grudges have an expiration date. Why would Taker and Kane ever get along with each other? How are Triple H and HBK best buds after Hunter shoved HBK's head through a car windshield? Stone Cold tried to murder Triple H with a fork lift, and they were tag champs a year later. Suspend your disbelief a little.

• Like 1

I liked that the NWO had no sense of urgency about their stroll in. Sure, I mean, those guys can only move so fast at this point, but they're, like, playing air guitar and too sweeting each other while Sting is in mortal danger from HHH lurking with a sledgehammer mere feet away.

HHH could've caved in Sting's skull and fled the stadium by the time they made it to the ring.

I would be totally fine if Cena beat XXX villain at WrestleMania from here until he retires. I might change my plan if he's in the WrestleMania main event. But if he's in the spot he's been in the past two years, then he should win. He's not for us. He's for little kids. You get them hooked on this garbage by having the hero beat the villain at the most important time.

When they get older and jaded and cynical... that's when they can start branching out to liking the other guys. But giving kids a happy ending is how you go about making them junkies for men pretending to fight other men.

• Like 1

If I had to rate them, from best to worst, I guess it might go...

Brock vs Reigns

Rusev vs. Cena

HHH vs Sting (mostly because of the old school shenanigans)

IC Ladder Match

Bray vs Taker (slow, but effective. Loved the spider walk/ Deadman sits up spot)

Seth vs Orton ( Not a fan of either guy, but they got me to care about the match)

Tag Title Chaos (hot opener! Even the New Day guys were getting pops)

Battle Royal(Loved the Mizdow stuff)

Divas Tag ( Liked the finish. The rest was ..'eh.)

Loved the Rock-Trips-Steph-Rousey deal. I figured she was at ringside, for a reason. 

Surprised that Sheamus didn't show up.

What happens with Lana now? Total face turn? Time off, then returning with another foreign monster?

Really good show. probably a solid 4/5.

Are people forgetting that Sting was in the Wolfpac with Nash? Now THAT was pretty crazy and stupid but since it already happened, what's the big deal about the nWo helping him here?

And Sting and Hogan eventually buried the hatchet in WCW, didn't they? Nash slugging X-Pac makes way less sense, but nobody is upset about that.

• Like 1

Also, Lana and Rusev are my favorite act in WWE but they took a giant piss on America for 11 months, beat Cena last month and I think technically invaded America with that tank. Cena evoked FDR, Regan, Obama and W on WTC rubble to motivate himself. If that finish pissed you off, that's kinda you going off the reservation on what logical booking is.

Not exactly. They definitely are one of the hottest acts in the company and Rusev is a rising star. 15-time World Champion John Cena doesn't need to be cakewalking through him right now.

Greggulator, on 30 Mar 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

But if he's in the spot he's been in the past two years, then he should win. He's not for us. He's for little kids.

What does any of this have to do with Rusev? I asked you where do they go from here with him and Lana.

I liked that the NWO had no sense of urgency about their stroll in. Sure, I mean, those guys can only move so fast at this point, but they're, like, playing air guitar and too sweeting each other while Sting is in mortal danger from HHH lurking with a sledgehammer mere feet away.

HHH could've caved in Sting's skull and fled the stadium by the time they made it to the ring.

I think even Sandman would have made it to the ring faster.

I had trouble buying the NWO siding with Sting because I thought it had been pretty well established even in kayfabe terms that Hall and Nash were HHH's buddies.  A bunch of ex-WCW guys (DDP, Booker, maybe Arn Anderson) coming out to help Sting would have made a lot more sense and added to the "let's drag everyone from the Monday Night Wars back out" theme.

The idea behind the Rousey segment didn't bother me.  I don't pay attention to MMA and only know her through the third Expendables movie and when friends post MMA stuff on facebook.  When there was about 90 minutes in the show for the last two matches I figured it was a blatant stall for time.  It's just that about the worst part of Raw for the past year has been the tediously long Authority in-ring segments that feature the same shit every week - HHH and Stephanie talking about how they own the WWE universe and how everyone is there because of them, yadda yadda yadda.  They could have done pretty much the same thing in half the time and gotten the same reaction.  That spot and several other dead weight segments would have been better served making the tag titles look like something other than an afterthought.

Also, Lana and Rusev are my favorite act in WWE but they took a giant piss on America for 11 months, beat Cena last month and I think technically invaded America with that tank. Cena evoked FDR, Regan, Obama and W on WTC rubble to motivate himself. If that finish pissed you off, that's kinda you going off the reservation on what logical booking is.

Not exactly. They definitely are one of the hottest acts in the company and Rusev is a rising star. 15-time World Champion John Cena doesn't need to be cakewalking through him right now.

Greggulator, on 30 Mar 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

But if he's in the spot he's been in the past two years, then he should win. He's not for us. He's for little kids.

What does any of this have to do with Rusev? I asked you where do they go from here with him and Lana.

Rusev has a rubber match against Cena at the next PPV.  Maybe he wins and Cena goes back to doing Cena things?

If he loses, maybe you somehow make a Rusev vs. Ambrose feud? They're arguably the two hottest acts right under the main event and would have great matches.

Do they do a Rusev/Lana breakup thing? I hope not since they're awesome together, but maybe Lana splits and tries to recruit a new monster like Luke Harper?

There are all sorts of ways to go.

It's like the same thing when people said Cena "buried" Bray. Wyatt ended up with the friggin' Undertaker match the very next year.

Good show overall. Enjoyed the preshow matches, popped seeing Alex Riley make Mania for a couple of minutes. Ladder match was a decent match of that kind. Rollins/Orton was about as good as I expected and the perfect finish which was just awesome. Was shocked HHH/Sting went on so early, loved all the craziness with DX and the nWo plus Shawn superkicking Sting. Did not expect HHH to win at all, figured Sting would win especially if they did Sting/Taker next year. Found the post-match handshake especially strange after HHH returned to gloat about owning Sting later. Rock showing up was cool and Rousey getting involved was fantastic with a real epic feel to it. Nice to see the other members of the Horsewomen at ringside as well.

Cena/Rusev was good stuff. Was shocked that Cena won with only one AA, especially at Mania since there's usually multiple in his matches. Hope they don't split Lana and Rusev with Rusev blaming her for the loss. Divas tag was decent. They were working quick from the start so knew it wasn't getting much. Would've preferred Paige to get more of a Mania moment. Bellas looked good. Enjoyed Taker/Wyatt, though I hoped Taker would have a more grand entrance considering some of the others for the night but didn't think Taker looked bad out there. Loved Skylar Grey's performance, thought she did another great job on her 3rd Mania performance.

Main event was an incredible spectacle. I hated the cash-in because they had me really wanting to see an ending between Lesnar/Reigns. Lesnar's domination and Reigns comeback were perfect with Lesnar dripping blood. Felt like the match could've been really great on its own.

• Like 1

Him being "demoted" to feuding with Orton really just took the focus off of him even though he had the spotlight for almost the entire year. It put our eyes on Brock/Reigns and wondering what was going to happen there. Rollins walking off with the belt didn't feel out-of-place. It felt more like an inevitability we should have realized all along.

What an awesome, ballsy move. I can get why Raz doesn't like it -- I usually prefer clean endings, especially to end epics. But they really ended the storyline of Seth's sleazebag power play in the best way possible.

What? Rollins-Orton has pretty much been the focal point of Raw over the last month.

I have to call bullshit on Rock claiming he'd never hit a woman.

For one thing, he was a face during the Attitude Era, so that alone gives you about an 80% chance that he perpetrated violence on a woman at some point.

Secondly, if I recall correctly, I think him hitting Steph with the Rock Bottom/People's Elbow was the "feel good" go-home moment to make up for HHH winning at Wrestlemania 2000.

First, please, PLEASE tell me that was our Dolfan at WrestleMania on the TV side. If not, why did someone bring a giant cutout of Dolfan's head?

Second, what a great fucking show. Easily one of the most fun WrestleManias I've seen. That main event was so damn brutal. Props to Lesnar for letting Reigns stiff the hell out of him to make it a believable fight.

Third, SETH FUCKIN' ROLLINS, WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!

Oh yeah, I understand the Cena angle. I would have had Roman beat Rusev, personally. Let's face it, though, for about 5 years now a person's opinion on Mania depends on what that person thinks of Cena/Hunter/Taker/Rock. All four guys have been protected and featured heavily and are always positioned for high profile matches for the following year.

I wanted to Sting to win, but I also watched WCW and Sting kind of always fell short. This is a dude that would be kicking ass but then somehow manage to overshoot a corner splash and knock himself out on the ring post. Empirically, he was an underdog in this match. And that DX and NWO standoff was the coolest shit, even if it existed in a logic vacuum. At the very least, it was a shock.

Rock has been diminishing returns for years. He doesn't get enough flack for ruining WM 27 and the two-year Cena feud was awful on his end with those garbage comedy promos. The Rousey shit was a legit shock and the first potential money celebrity angle since Floyd. Rock and Hunter was an all-time great feud in the Attitude Era (maybe the best main event series actualy) so no issue with them going back to it.

Rusev isn't killed by the booking. He can split with Lana and negate this loss. Lana is gonna be a huge babyface very soon anyway and probably has bigger career potential than wrestling anyway. I would have had Rusev win but I imagine the feud continues. A larger talk would be if Cena is slowing down some. He's been off a bit.

Bray goes as far as his promos. The story that was being told on TV was Taker winning.

And all the matches delivered.

Also, to back to everyone's favorite talking point, now that Rollins is champ does anyone seriously think that Bryan won't be headlining for the title by the end of summer?