DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

In the name of doing my part to put this stupid argument to bed: I am not an MMA fan. I couldn't name 5 current UFC fighters even if we count CM Punk. But of course I know who Ronda Rousey is. She was getting loud, audible chants at Mania once Rock walked past her.

As for the segment, my qualms aren't with Rousey's inclusion, or its length, but what's next? A hip-toss to Hunter and a threat to Steph isn't a payoff. Is there more? How is there more? Because I can't see UFC letting Rousey wrestle. If there isn't more, it was a fun moment, but a bit pointless.

I feel like MORELOCK is one of those guys who gets really upset about all the MMA coverage in the Observer.

I don't read the Observer.

Yo-Yo's Roomie and Cristobal both raised good points I already raised earlier in this thread that everyone ignored so they could pontificate about how mainstream MMA is and misuse the term "wrestling bubble." Feel free to debate with those two if you really want to keep talking about this.

I feel like MORELOCK is one of those guys who gets really upset about all the MMA coverage in the Observer.

I don't read the Observer.

Because there's too much MMA coverage, amiright?

• Like 1

On the "what's next?" question about Rousey and WWE, supposedly the next time she might show up is at Hell in a Cell, which is in LA at the Staples Center (AKA where Cena lost his dignity), then a one-on-one "match" with Stephanie at WrestleMania 32. So, pretty much any time they're in California in between now and next year's Mania, she could show up.

It was a fun show that was made better because it was put on by a company that has been shitting the bed for a very long time.  Lowered expectations helped and I don't think we need to keep analyzing this.  Please for the love of God.

It's like that time I won free passes to see Thirteen Ghosts from the video store.  I knew the movie was going to be shit but, fuck it, it's free.  Then the movie turned out to be shockingly slightly above average.  Because my expectations were so horribly low, I have fond memories of that movie.  It's like that.  I don't think anyone in their right mind expected this Mania to be even half decent and it turned out to be a pretty fun show.  It overachieved.

Because there's too much MMA coverage, amiright?

Because Meltzer's a shit writer, any important news hits the internet very fast, and because I'm poor.

On the "what's next?" question about Rousey and WWE, supposedly the next time she might show up is at Hell in a Cell, which is in LA at the Staples Center (AKA where Cena lost his dignity), then a one-on-one "match" with Stephanie at WrestleMania 32. So, pretty much any time they're in California in between now and next year's Mania, she could show up.

Source?

Yes, argue with me instead of the guy I was, uh, disagreeing with.

What?

"What?" is right. What are you talking about?

I think he is referring to me saying anyone that still wants to "discuss" the Rousey thing (rather than saying "Morelock is dumb" repeatedly) should debate the point he made in the post preceding mine.

Cristobal, when you concede that the segment was pointless, you aren't disagreeing with me.

Characterizing what I said as agreeing with you requires a great deal of context-ignoring.

If there isn't more, it was a fun moment, but a bit pointless.

In short, I said it was fun (not long and boring as you've been arguing,) and said that it was a bit pointless IF IT DOESN'T LEAD TO SOMETHING ELSE.

Rousey herself has as much as hinted that that something else will come. I'm just curious what it will be.

"Because Meltzer's a shit writer"

He may by a "shit writer", but he is one hell of a "reporter".  If the Meltz was a political reporter he would be world famous.  Also, he is a really swell guy.  When I got paper Observers back in the day I was always amazed at how well he ran his little empire.  He has also answered some emails personally, or wrote back a thank you note when I would send him a link or article.  Dude works hard, does what he loves, and covers a subject that he loves.  Hating on Meltzer for anything is like hating the American Dream.  

In short, I said it was fun (not long and boring as you've been arguing,) and said that it was a bit pointless IF IT DOESN'T LEAD TO SOMETHING ELSE.

So you half-disagreed with me. My mistake. Still waiting on that source that something long-term is in the works and this wasn't just a throwaway segment. You all seem very confident that Dana White is going to let Rousey wrestle for some reason.

I'd love to know why anyone thinks Rousey-Steph would somehow be more helpful to the company than the rumored Rock-HHH that everybody was shitting on a few months ago. Sure looks like two non-wrestlers fighting on a Mania not putting over anyone that can actually make the company money on a regular basis to me.

"Because Meltzer's a shit writer"

He may by a "shit writer", but he is one hell of a "reporter".  If the Meltz was a political reporter he would be world famous.  Also, he is a really swell guy.  When I got paper Observers back in the day I was always amazed at how well he ran his little empire.  He has also answered some emails personally, or wrote back a thank you note when I would send him a link or article.  Dude works hard, does what he loves, and covers a subject that he loves.  Hating on Meltzer for anything is like hating the American Dream.  

I don't understand why any of this is relevant. I don't hand money to every nice guy I meet. Assumptions were made about why I don't subscribe to the Observer. I corrected them.

The 1-on-1 match with Stephanie was reported on by Meltzer. The key word is they want to. The Hell in a Cell thing was speculation, I think, but I want to say Meltzer said that too. I can't find the post on Reddit with the quotes about any of this now, though, of course. My feeling is, it was a good "moment", but if nothing comes out of it - they wasted a good chunk of time for a one spot deal, but that isn't uncommon for WWE and celebrities.

I would like to see them try and build Charlotte up into something credible on the main roster Divas division, and maybe by next year she would be ready for a match with Ronda Rousey. But more than likely, if she does wrestle, it'll be against Stephanie McMahon. She's said before that she wants a singles match at WrestleMania.

Dude, why don't you just let it go.  You're whole argument doesn't even make sense.  You're saying it was a waste of time and pointless and commented on how nobody knew who Rousey was and that the whole thing chewed up too much time and that the Battle Royal or the tag match would have served a better purpose making it on the live PPV slot.  

So first, people do know who Rousey is and second, what point did the Battle Royal or the tag match serve long term? None.  They're all there just to entertain us.  And a good portion of people saw the tag match and Battle Royal anyway so what are you even saying?  

Dude, why don't you just let it go. You're whole argument doesn't even make sense. You're saying it was a waste of time and pointless and commented on how nobody knew who Rousey was and that the whole thing chewed up too much time and that the Battle Royal or the tag match would have served a better purpose making it on the live PPV slot.

So first, people do know who Rousey is and second, what point did the Battle Royal or the tag match serve long term? None. They're all there just to entertain us. And a good portion of people saw the tag match and Battle Royal anyway so what are you even saying?

*Your

Are you guys done yet? Because I already addressed all of this. My opinion is that Mizdow needed that PPV time more than a throwaway segment with someone who doesn't even work there. His reactions are already starting to die down. This is not a right or wrong situation. I'm not "letting go" of my opinion because you don't agree with it.

Mizdow...Wouldn't have come close to the reaction that Rousey got. How many people googled Mizdow after Raw last night?

And thanks for the grammar correction. You are smarter than my phone.

How does anyone googling Ronda Rousey make WWE any money? Pretending the wrestlers that work there actually mean something might turn Mizdow into someone that can make money for the company.

Just because Vince has a hard-on for any mainstream publicity that isn't associated with Daniel Bryan doesn't mean that Ronda Rousey showing up to armdrag Triple H will actually do anything for anyone in the long run.