DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Rewatching Sting vs. Triple H, I managed to pinpoint the moment H got the hellacious bruise. It was when Sting threw him into the corner and H went over the top. He bumped the apron on the way down, but instead of the usual apron, it was a video screen apron like they have in NXT.

Does anyone even keep track of the Andre battle royal?

I didn't even know Cesaro had won one...until he made a joke about no one in WWE mentioning it In the past year.

I dont think a long Rock/Rousey segment is the pivotal reason why WWE find the battle royal and, even some if its participants, dispensable.

The battle royal was bumped a couple of days before the show. Every other segment on Mania was announced well beforehand. It is almost certainly the reason the battle royal was moved to the main show. Leaving the participants off the main show because they are deemed dispensable sends the message to the fans that they are dispensable as well. Ronda Rousey isn't going to show up at every WWE event to wrestle and make the company money. They could have gotten the same mainstream attention doing this segment on a RAW - the go-home show would have been a perfect chance to drum up that mainstream interest and sell WrestleMania.

To me, the issue isn't the Rock/Rousey segment in particular.  If it wasn't the Rousey segment, I think they still would have found another talking/wacky segment to bump the battle royal off the show for more buzz anyway.  I get what you're saying though.

It's kind of hilarious a throwaway Lawrence Taylor comment has garner a couple pages worth of LT Vs. Rousey popularity discussion.  "This is a DVDR moment."

Randy might deserve credit for coming up with the RKO spot, but Seth deserves a ton for actually pulling the move off.  I'm no Seth Rollins, but I have attempted to springboard off a neck soaked in baby oil before and had no success.

Everyone can evaluate matches differetly but I think you had one all-time ***** classic (main event), two ****+ matches with Rollins/Orton and the ladder match, and everything was *** or so (divas tag exempted).

Combine that with the best spectacle garbage match since Hogan/Vince, two legit shock angles with the main event finish and the Rock/Rousey angle, and some of the best entrances in the company's history and it's impossible to praise this show enough.

It's not WM 17, but it's the best top-to bottom Wrestlemania in maybe a decade.

Did anyone think that was even possible a week ago? Did anyone think this show had any shot of being even half as good?

I think when you look at all the factors it's one of the best "big shows" of all-time.

I agree with all this. I'm also thinking Lesnar/Reigns may be *****. Wouldn't be surprised if Meltzer gives it ***** either.

The only thing keeping Reigns/Lesnar out of all time super classico 5 star range for me is the finish. I know WHY they did it but they didn't NEED to do it.
There's no way you can go 5 stars on a match with no finish. No point in even having 5 stars then.

I'm not handing out a star rating either way, but what do you people mean "no ending?"

Seth Rollins pinned Roman Reigns clean in the middle of the ring to win the triple threat match. That's a finish.

There was no ending to the Brock/Reigns match. It just became a triple threat. If you consider that a real ending, then it definitely isn't 5 stars, because it wasn't a really great ending.

I just look at the Rollins thing as WWE bailing themselves out a booking situation that they shouldn't have put themselves in to begin with.

See, here's our disconnect. I thought it was the best finish wwe has booked in months.

• Like 2

Does anyone even keep track of the Andre battle royal?

I didn't even know Cesaro had won one...until he made a joke about no one in WWE mentioning it In the past year.

I dont think a long Rock/Rousey segment is the pivotal reason why WWE find the battle royal and, even some if its participants, dispensable.

The battle royal was bumped a couple of days before the show. Every other segment on Mania was announced well beforehand. It is almost certainly the reason the battle royal was moved to the main show. Leaving the participants off the main show because they are deemed dispensable sends the message to the fans that they are dispensable as well. Ronda Rousey isn't going to show up at every WWE event to wrestle and make the company money. They could have gotten the same mainstream attention doing this segment on a RAW - the go-home show would have been a perfect chance to drum up that mainstream interest and sell WrestleMania.

To me, the issue isn't the Rock/Rousey segment in particular. If it wasn't the Rousey segment, I think they still would have found another talking/wacky segment to bump the battle royal off the show for more buzz anyway. I get what you're saying though.

It's kind of hilarious a throwaway Lawrence Taylor comment has garner about 5 pages worth of LT Vs. Rousey popularity discussion. "This is a DVDR moment."

Randy might deserve credit for coming up with the RKO spot, but Seth deserves a ton for actually pulling the move off. I'm no Seth Rollins, but I have attempted to springboard off a neck soaked in baby oil before and had no success.

Reason #5368 I love pro wrestling: In context, there is nothing ridiculous about that last sentence.

• Like 2

#1:  I'll call a spade a spade:  Lesnar-Reigns was really good.  Good for Reigns and I hope he keeps doing well.

#2:  Wrestling is really lacking in cheating heels.  It's to the point where eye pokes are considered dastardly rulebreaking moves.  I miss pulling tights, feet on the ropes, brass knuckles, etc.  I'd be perfectly fine with Seth being that kind of champion.

Totally. He has a bunch of big PPV matchups set for the next 3-6 months. The best part about the conclusion to Wrestlemania (other than Roman not winning the belt) was how perfectly it sets up the next period until around Summerslam. He can be a slimeball and weasel his way through Orton and Reigns' challenges. It'll be the Lesnar match that will be difficult to book if/when it happens. Brock, in his current state, would annihilate Rollins, even with cheating and J&J.

I think Seth has a bit of the Shane Douglas syndrome in that he's a better babyface in-ring performer (remember how fucking amped the crowd was when he was bouncing off Evolution? So great!) but a better heel persona outside the ring. He has a big babyface run in him and maybe he could develop a sympathetic character but now isn't the time. BRING ON SETH DOUCHEBAGGERY!

I'm amazed that WWE has pulled the wool over people's eyes yet again. Reigns has awesome matches with Bryan (which was 90% Bryan beating the shit out of him) and Lesnar (which was 90% Lesnar beating the shit out of him) and we're back to proclaiming him a superworker? Have you all learned nothing?

• Like 3

I'm amazed that WWE has pulled the wool over people's eyes yet again. Reigns has awesome matches with Bryan (which was 90% Bryan beating the shit out of him) and Lesnar (which was 90% Lesnar beating the shit out of him) and we're back to proclaiming him a superworker? Have you all learned nothing?

Probably the same people that believe this was the greatest show ever. In the history of wrestling.

• Like 1

complex.com/sports/2015/03/listen-seth-rollins-thank-you-so-much-pinning-roman-reigns-wrestlemania-wwe-title?utm_campaign=complexmag%2Bsocialflow%2B03%2B2015&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Why would Rollins that Reigns? I never understood wrestlers thanking each other in a fake sport. Reigns was just doing his job. Reigns WM payday would be the same regardless if he won or lost the match.

It's called respect.

If it works for Dolph Ziggler, why not Reigns?

• Like 1

He has a long way to go but last night went about as well for him as it could've.

#1:  I'll call a spade a spade:  Lesnar-Reigns was really good.  Good for Reigns and I hope he keeps doing well.

#2:  Wrestling is really lacking in cheating heels.  It's to the point where eye pokes are considered dastardly rulebreaking moves.  I miss pulling tights, feet on the ropes, brass knuckles, etc.  I'd be perfectly fine with Seth being that kind of champion.

Roddy Piper is still around; time to have him start

Reigns held his own with the two best professional wrestlers in North America in back-to-back matches, which is more than I thought he could do at this point in his career, so I'll give him props.

• Like 1

Yes.  That pissing all over something for the sake of doing so tends to ruin the experience.  Not to mention your carpeting.

It's entertainment, not public policy. No one suffers from enjoying a wrestling show on face value.

Don't compare Reigns to Ziggler. When's the last time Ziggler that made you shut the fuck up with that complaining and went 'HOLY SHIT!!' ?

And you guys sure are quote-y today.

Edit: damn it Burgundy, I used the rest of my likes on you in this thread.

Just want to point out that Sting/H³ ended with Motorhead blaring and Trips looking king sized and Sting looking like a second rate wrestler.

Exactly as I predicted and dreaded. And as many many people doubted.

So he looked like he's looked since his match with Hogan at Starrcade?

I don't even care that Sting lost, I just hate the story and I hate H³ babyfacing himself and I hate Sting accepting it.

If Borden had ever cared about his character, it would have been even larger than it already was. A little selfishness would have done him good a lot of times.

Everyone can evaluate matches differetly but I think you had one all-time ***** classic (main event), two ****+ matches with Rollins/Orton and the ladder match, and everything was *** or so (divas tag exempted).

Combine that with the best spectacle garbage match since Hogan/Vince, two legit shock angles with the main event finish and the Rock/Rousey angle, and some of the best entrances in the company's history and it's impossible to praise this show enough.

Did anyone think that was even possible a week ago? Did anyone think this show had any shot of being even half as good?

I think when you look at all the factors it's one of the best "big shows" of all-time.

I agree with all this. I'm also thinking Lesnar/Reigns may be *****. Wouldn't be surprised if Meltzer gives it ***** either.
The only thing keeping Reigns/Lesnar out of all time super classico 5 star range for me is the finish. I know WHY they did it but they didn't NEED to do it.
There's no way you can go 5 stars on a match with no finish. No point in even having 5 stars then.
I'm not handing out a star rating either way, but what do you people mean "no ending?"

Seth Rollins pinned Roman Reigns clean in the middle of the ring to win the triple threat match. That's a finish.

There was no ending to the Brock/Reigns match. It just became a triple threat. If you consider that a real ending, then it definitely isn't 5 stars, because it wasn't a really great ending.

I just look at the Rollins thing as WWE bailing themselves out a booking situation that they shouldn't have put themselves in to begin with.

See, here's our disconnect. I thought it was the best finish wwe has booked in months.

It really was.

Honestly rzombie1988 you hate non-clean finishes, are overly markish for NJPW, and think Angle/HBK is a classic and not a horrible forced epic...are you from like, Wrestlingforum or some other horrible IWC foxhole?

You probably love Davey Richards too, don't you? DON'T YOU?

Also, calling it a top level Mania invokes comparison with other Manias. Not NJPW shows.

It really was.

Honestly rzombie1988 you hate non-clean finishes, are overly markish for NJPW, and think Angle/HBK is a classic and not a horrible forced epic...are you from like, Wrestlingforum or some other horrible IWC foxhole?

You probably love Davey Richards too, don't you? DON'T YOU?

Also, calling it a top level Mania invokes comparison with other Manias. Not NJPW shows.

If you want see what I'm overly markish for, check out - www.prowresblog.blogspot.com

I'm 99% sure Mind Games is a 5 star match and had no finish. There's a definite precedent.

Yes.  That pissing all over something for the sake of doing so tends to ruin the experience.  Not to mention your carpeting.

It's entertainment, not public policy. No one suffers from enjoying a wrestling show on face value.

I don't do anything just for the sake of doing it. I'm just offering my take. I'm clearly in the minority this time around, which is fine. These things go in cycles. And I would think that if you care enough about wrestling to post on a message board dedicated it, you would want to engage in some degree of analysis.

Roman is growing. He's capable of being led to great stuff by great workers. Same as Rollins, Orton, Batista, Sheamus, and any number of other top guys. Whether he ever becomes good enough to raise up lesser workers remains to be seen, but he's perfectly fine for where he's at And is thusfar having a great year.

Rollins is usually a dumb dumb, but is presented as the architect/mastermind type. That finish was amazing because the booking finally caught up to the talking points. Cashing in before the match was over to avoid Brock is probably the smartest WWE heel move since... I don't even know when.

Another cool wrinkle is that Rollins sort of tried this during Brock/Cena, but made the mistake of interfering before handing over the briefcase. Which brought him right back to the whole having to pin Lesnar part of the deal.