DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: SHERRI MARTEL

RIPPA

I have to assume this is the last time Sherri and Madusa wrestled each other.  It's really more of an angle than a match, in any case.  Sherri was apparently legit KO'd by the German, which makes what follows especially cringe-worthy.

I know Judy Martin is awesome.  She's the first person I ever saw do a powerbomb in a women's tag match on a Meadowlands card in the 80's.  She was teaming with Kai but this was before the Glamour Girls gimmick.

Wasn't that match on that WWF's Strangest Matches VHS (or whatever it was called)? Where Lord Alfred Hayes calls the powerbomb the "Drip Dry"? You guys reviewed the tape years ago and I rented it as a kid, real stinker that one was. I sat there watching Lanny Poffo in a suit of armor and a Texas Death Match with Hogan and Harley thinking "this is the best they can do?"

Sherri was so damn hot here. It's a testament to her talents that she could keep up with the weirdness of Macho back then. I guess that had a lot to do with the "secret ingredient" he mentions. Also, I love him mentioning Tiny's lazy eye out of nowhere.

• Like 1

Sherri was my first wrestling crush as a kid, never cared much for Elizabeth.  I remember when she would start with the crazy makeup that it was unique and demanded attention.  Over time it was very easy to focus on how attractive she was, and there was that crazy factor that was hard to pass up.  But she was such a damn good manager.  Though Dibiase and Savage didn't need her to get over, she certainly added a lot when pairing with them.  Shawn's heel run was a lot better with her as a manager.  And Harlem Heat got more attention with her as well.  I feel she gets overlooked when talking about the best managers of all-time.  But man was she fun to watch.

• Like 2

She really gave Shawn that extra little push and a little bit of shine when he first turned heel, without her by his side I don't think he'd have been as great initially.

Just as I choose not to believe that there was ever a sequel to The Matrix or Highlander, I refuse to believe that there was ever a version of Sexy Boy not sung by Sherri Martel.