DVDVR Message Board

Remember when Kevin Smith said he was going to retire...

Dolfan in NYC

Smith gave an interview to Yahoo back in July that said he and Affleck "aren't tight" anymore

Asked by Yahoo Movies on Friday about a potential Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice surprise at this year's Comic-Con — or if he knew whether or not Affleck was even in town — Smith replied: "Great question. I don’t know, because we're not f---ing tight. I have not been [close with him] in decades."

"That's old Ben," continued Smith, 43. "He's got a wife [Jennifer Garner] that don't [sic] care for me at all [Laughs]. And plus, honestly, he probably don't care for me at all anymore [either]. He's a triple-A-list movie star and s--t like that. If he's Jimmy Carter, I'm Billy Carter, to put it in '70s terms. And I'm not even related and s--t."
This isn't the first time Smith has blamed the demise of his friendship with Affleck, 41, on Garner. Earlier this month, during his a stop on his Silent Bob Speaks tour at Carnegie Hall, Smith detailed his differences with Garner. 

Im assuming that this is what Fresh was referencing

Now of course - Smith then said that he was joking and couldn't understand why people didn't get the joke.

But yeah...

EDIT

Just for the sake of sourcing - from Daily Beast

One of the first things that came up when I Googled your name for this interview was the headline, “Kevin Smith: Jennifer Garner Ended My Relationship with Ben Affleck.”

So stupid. For years, I’ve been telling the same joke where people will ask if I’ve seen Ben and I say, “Oh, he’s married now and his wife doesn’t like me,” so I said the same fuckin’ joke at Comic-Con and then it got blown up. It’s so embarrassing.

I will be very interested to see if Affleck comes back since he and Smith haven't talked in years. I haven't really dug any of Kevin's movies in quite awhile, but I do really respect his attitude now of doing whatever the fuck he wants. Plus, I still love Hollywood Babble-On. Sadly though, this pushes back the filming of Hit Somebody, which is the one I really want.

Um... Smith was one of the first people to see Affleck in the new Batsuit. Where did "they haven't talked in years" come from?

Zack Snyder showed him that picture, not Affleck.

What RIPPA said, but even before that there was a story on Hollywood Babble-On where Ben Affleck went to go visit Lindsay Lohan in rehab (because Affleck is a former addict too) and Smth said, "Right on, he hasn't talked to me in 4 years, but whatever...."

Honestly, out of the cast, the only one I think he'll have trouble with is Claire Forlani.  But then I look at her IMDB page and think it might be easier than I thought.

Does he have 4 already signed and he just hasn't announced them yet? Because I read that "8 down, 4 to go" as "Don't have deals with 4 of the originals yet, but I'm still trying to get them!"

I would assume those four would be:

Ben Affleck

Claire Forlani

Renee Humphree

Joey Lauren Adams

Well, Rene Humphrey and Joey Adams showed up in movies after Mallrats, so I would imagine they'd show up, and they're not doing a ton.  

Affleck is the one I would doubt will show up.  Not so much because of the "We haven't talked in a while" shit, but because he's pretty damn busy between being Batman, and directing another movie.

Well, Rene Humphrey and Joey Adams showed up in movies after Mallrats, so I would imagine they'd show up, and they're not doing a ton.

Affleck is the one I would doubt will show up. Not so much because of the "We haven't talked in a while" shit, but because he's pretty damn busy between being Batman, and directing another movie.

Joey might be dicey because she and Kevin were dating when they filmed Chasing Amy and obviously aren't now. But she did do a cameo in Jay & Bob Strike Back, so it's probably fine.

Affleck is he big question mark. Raz is right, even if he and Kev can be cool buds again, his schedule is rough.

When did he agree to be on Fatman on Batman?