DVDVR Message Board

Remember when Kevin Smith said he was going to retire...

Dolfan in NYC

On the other hand, Mallrats is literally the fountain from which him having a career flows. Without Mallrats, Kevin never drops the Good Will Hunting script on Harvey's desk, Kev and Mos never sign on to executive produce GWH, Ben never gets the Chasing Amy role, thus Jerry Bruckheimer never sees him in Amy and doesn't cast him for Armageddon...

So he might understandably look back on that stupid role more fondly than would seem likely at first glance, since it rescued him from only playing the heavy for his entire career.

• Like 1

11083840_10152653314816930_3532303604565

Wow did he age quickly around the eyes.

Mallrats 2 has been moved in front of Clerks 3's production based on the availability of a mall scheduled for demolition. It also sounds like Kev doesn't know if Affleck is in or not, or he's playing it close to the vest.

I'd be willing to bet that Affleck, at this point in his career, probably wouldn't be overly excited about re-visiting a role that is all about being obsessed with anal sex.

His character's payoff being in jail pre-buttsex was hilarious though.

Why do I get the sense that a "Three Amigos" remake is around the corner, starring Lee, Rudd, Ryan Reynolds, and Danny Trejo?

Kevin Smith would probably be all over that shit.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to recall when Kevin Smith at one point talked about shelving his Greek chorus universe, and sometime around J&SBSB he made this pandering request of his fans that he had something planned for the characters, but, in order to pull it off, J&SBSB had to "win the weekend" of its release. Therefore, he begged his fans, even if they'd already seen the movie, to see it again. He promised some form of swag if fans sent in thir two ticket stubs.

Time has swallowed up that post or news article or open letter in Variety. Very few people that I bring it up to seem to know what I'm talking about. I wish I could find that again; I had it saved in the Favorites of a laptop that was stolen a few years ago. But that was the point that I had fuck-all left in the interest tank for Kevin Smith.

I seem to recall when Kevin Smith at one point talked about shelving his Greek chorus universe, and sometime around J&SBSB he made this pandering request of his fans that he had something planned for the characters, but, in order to pull it off, J&SBSB had to "win the weekend" of its release. Therefore, he begged his fans, even if they'd already seen the movie, to see it again. He promised some form of swag if fans sent in thir two ticket stubs.

Time has swallowed up that post or news article or open letter in Variety. Very few people that I bring it up to seem to know what I'm talking about. I wish I could find that again; I had it saved in the Favorites of a laptop that was stolen a few years ago. But that was the point that I had fuck-all left in the interest tank for Kevin Smith.

I distinctly remember a gimmick where if you saw the movie twice in the opening weekend and sent in the ticket stubs, you would get an autographed Jay and Silent Bob Strike back poster.  Then a lot of people sent them in (including myself), nobody got posters, fans went nuts complaining about it on the message boards of the View Askew page, and it made everyone bicker a lot and to the best of my knowledge, it never got resolved and no one got the prize they were promised. 

Aw man, thanks for that reply. I always wondered how that whole thing ended, if he made good on his promise.

That's our Kevin! *womp, wompwompwomp woooooooooomp*

• 1 month later...

Is that Hall H, and is that in the middle of his actual panel? Weird, he does a segment in there every year and usually it's a standing-room-only sellout. (Of course this year he has to immediately follow the Star Wars panel for the new movie, so maybe the crowd just all left after that was over.)

JJ invited everyone to an outdoor Star Wars concert immediately after the panel. There were still a couple thousand people in there apparently.

Ah. That'll do it. That's gotta suck for poor Kev, he was there to debut the trailer for his latest movie (starring his daughter, just to REALLY make him feel guilty about everyone leaving).

I saw a picture of his daughter for the first time yesterday and was like "Boy, she got all her mom's looks, thank goodness for her."

EDIT: Just saw she's 16. No Aqualungery intended. She's a very beautiful young lady.

DOUBLE EDIT: Does Kevin Smith own a shirt that isn't a fucking hockey jersey?