DVDVR Message Board

Remember when Kevin Smith said he was going to retire...

Dolfan in NYC

It was his wife's decision to name their daughter Harley. And the mom's not even a comics fan, she just really loves that one character. Of course Kevin would go along with the idea.

And since when is Johnny Depp supposed to be a guarantee of a bad movie? Y'all need to forget about whatever his latest mediocre hundred-million-dollar tentpole flick was and see him in some other, more obscure stuff. Depp was easily the best part of Tusk (which is saying something, in a film where MICHAEL F'N PARKS gets like 70% of all the dialogue), his bumbling-but-brilliant Quebecois detective Guy LaPointe was hilarious and fascinating in all the ways that his thematically-similar role in Mortdecai wasn't.

• 1 month later...

Kind of an odd title, considering all the characters are at least middle-aged now. Ah well, I'm curious to see what he does with it. It's been almost a decade since his last Askewniverse project; as fun as I still find his podcast empire and weird little horror movies, I still occasionally wanna see what Jay & Silent Bob are up to. And his bluntly stated Mallrats 2 story premise of "Die Hard in a mall" sounds like it's easily within his wheelhouse.

Kind of an odd title, considering all the characters are at least middle-aged now. Ah well, I'm curious to see what he does with it. It's been almost a decade since his last Askewniverse project; as fun as I still find his podcast empire and weird little horror movies, I still occasionally wanna see what Jay & Silent Bob are up to. And his bluntly stated Mallrats 2 story premise of "Die Hard in a mall" sounds like it's easily within his wheelhouse.

"bluntly"

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Seems like an odd choice to turn into a show.  Mallrats had probably the least-interesting protagonists of anything Smith has ever made; Quint, Brandi, and Rene were all damn'd boring people and Brodie was basically just a beta test run for Jason Lee's later, better work in the same vein.  I'm not entirely sure if I'd want to spend ten episodes' worth of time with these guys.  Maybe Kev has some ideas on how to make this work, I certainly hope so, but it still feels like one of those "...why the hell couldn't they have done this with Clerks instead?" missed opportunities.  

• Like 1

Universal owns the property rights, and they wouldn't let him make the movie independently like the Weinsteins have agreed to for Clerks 3. For some reason they countered with an idea for a television show (maybe because of Wet Hot American Summer.)   

• 1 year later...

*Bump*

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot will begin shooting next month.  The titular characters are trying to stop a Bluntman vs Chronic movie from happening.

:mellow:

Clerks 3, and the Mallrats TV show-sequel are both dead. 

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

*Bump*

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot will begin shooting next month.  The titular characters are trying to stop a Bluntman vs Chronic movie from happening.

:mellow:

Clerks 3, and the Mallrats TV show-sequel are both dead. 

So... just redoing Strike Back?

Clerks 3 being dead makes me sad, it was pretty much the only thing Smith could do that would get me really interested anymore. I'll probably check out the Reboot unless reviews really steer me away since J&SB Strike Back always gets a laugh out of me but much less enthused about this than Clerks 3

Clerks 3 died because Jeff Anderson didn't want to do it. Another Jay and Bob movie felt inevitable after that because they're the only characters Smith owns and he knows Mewes is game. I'm under the impression that it'll be a ton of references to the other movies and cameos that'll distract from how weak the screenplay is. I enjoyed his recent horror movies a lot, but Yoga Hosers was largely a comedy and it seemed like he took one pass at writing it and just shot what he had. 

Incidentally since the thread is bumped, here's a Vulture write-up from this week about him that's really good. 

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/kevin-smith-red-state.html