DVDVR Message Board

Remember when Kevin Smith said he was going to retire...

Dolfan in NYC

MICHAEL FUCKIN' ROOKER

Man, who would have thought that his stock would have risen so much since being in Mallrats.

Also, I can't keep track of the movies Kev is working on. So...what happens with Clerks 3? What happens with Moosejaws? And my girlfriend brought up a good point, which was why would we care about these slacker ass characters in their 40s and nearly 50s? That said, I'll watch it.

• Like 1

He's got Yoga Hosers with his and Depp's daughters and Depp coming out this year. He's shooting Clerks 3 over the summer. Then in the fall he's shooting his hockey miniseries Hit Somebody for AMC, I believe. Then next year he's shooting Moose Jaws and the Krampus movie. Then Mallrats 2. Pretty productive stoner. Whether any of it'll be good is another thing, but I'm still on team Kev.

• Like 2

Ok, cool. I'm not the fanatic I once was so I'm out of the loop when it comes to his schedule. The guy still cracks me up on podcasts, but laughter is really infectious for me. For some reason, I love his laugh. 

• Like 1

I'm really interested to see how this "fuck what will sell, this is what I feel like doing" phase of Smith's career plays out.

What's most interesting to me is how the usual Hollywood movie system changed him and how he changed back. He went the DIY route with Clerks, got more money to do Mallrats, and then went into this system where he had to care more about how much the movie made and where it ranked box office wise. Then after Copout his approach changed. It's like he went back to the more DIY route with Red State and re-discovered that he could just do shit he liked instead of always worrying about where he landed on the box office charts. I'm glad he didn't retire.

I will be very interested to see if Affleck comes back since he and Smith haven't talked in years. I haven't really dug any of Kevin's movies in quite awhile, but I do really respect his attitude now of doing whatever the fuck he wants. Plus, I still love Hollywood Babble-On. Sadly though, this pushes back the filming of Hit Somebody, which is the one I really want.

• Like 1

I will be very interested to see if Affleck comes back since he and Smith haven't talked in years. I haven't really dug any of Kevin's movies in quite awhile, but I do really respect his attitude now of doing whatever the fuck he wants. Plus, I still love Hollywood Babble-On. Sadly though, this pushes back the filming of Hit Somebody, which is the one I really want.

Um... Smith was one of the first people to see Affleck in the new Batsuit.  Where did "they haven't talked in years" come from?