DVDVR Message Board

RIP el Hijo del Perro Aguayo

Linus

I don't think it will have any effect on Rey's legacy. You always have fans and reporters (some reporters are big-time marks who watch wrestling in a kayfabed/biased way) especially in Mexico who like to blame someone whenever someone dies. Konnan got partially blamed for referee Gran Davis death, Missioneros de la Muerte built their rep based on people thinking they had a part in El Santo's death. Oro's death was televised and everything kept going. This isn't the first time its happened, and sadly probably not the last time.

I don't think it will have any effect on Rey's legacy. You always have fans and reporters (some reporters are big-time marks who watch wrestling in a kayfabed/biased way) especially in Mexico who like to blame someone whenever someone dies. Konnan got partially blamed for referee Gran Davis death, Missioneros de la Muerte built their rep based on people thinking they had a part in El Santo's death. Oro's death was televised and everything kept going. This isn't the first time its happened, and sadly probably not the last time.

Googled but with no luck - what is that story?

Googled but with no luck - what is that story?

Go to luchawiki for El Gran Davis bio.

There's talk they may do a graphic for Perro on Raw tonight (he did work for them, after all). At the very least I'd expect JBL to mention his passing.

It trended on facebook for two or three days straight. That's probably a bigger deal for WWE than him working a couple of matches for them.

Triple H and I think Steph sent tweets out. In general, and this applies to the WWE Hall of Fame too, I think they only do something when they think it will resonate somehow with their current audience base. That matters much more than any sort of moral rightness. I do hope they do something though.

There's talk they may do a graphic for Perro on Raw tonight (he did work for them, after all). At the very least I'd expect JBL to mention his passing.

It trended on facebook for two or three days straight. That's probably a bigger deal for WWE than him working a couple of matches for them.

Triple H and I think Steph sent tweets out. In general, and this applies to the WWE Hall of Fame too, I think they only do something when they think it will resonate somehow with their current audience base. That matters much more than any sort of moral rightness. I do hope they do something though.

Steph sent her condolences in Spanish. That impressed the hell out of me.

Very sad news.  I was never that into Lucha, but I remember watching MisticoMania a few years back every weekend, and Perro was always one of my favorites on the show.  I remember thinking that if ECW was around her would have been a huge star there and really feel like he could have translated into the US scene.  Either way, just terrible news.  I really don't know how these guys do this.  I'm a lifelong athlete, I've always been in good shape, and I may be in the best shape of my life right now. At 36 everything hurts way more.  I get up alot and past shoulder injuries bother me, ankles, knees.  I could not imagine what these guys go through, and how they continue to work at a high level as they get older.  Anyway, I hope those involved find some piece of mind and will remember how entertained I was but Perro and be thankful to him for this.  

So what are the chances of all these sites correcting the sensationalist stories they ran about this?  I've seen way too many articles about how Rey's move killed him or something along those lines.  It's disrespectful and disgusting to blatantly do that without knowing anything.  Would they even care to do it?  I don't think so.