DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R4: SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. LUKE HARPER

RIPPA

SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. LUKE HARPER  

126 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Of the matches in this round this is the only one I had to think about for more than two seconds.  I took about ten and decided to vote for Harper.  I get the arguments for Nak and won't be upset when he wins, but he's way, way, way too inconsistent for me to vote for him at this stage, especially over a guy who was probably one of the five most consistently good workers in the time period covered by the voting.  

Nak's highs were better for sure, but if he doesn't have the 1/4 Dome match I'm not even sure I would have thought about this for ten seconds.  That's not a knock on him either.  Both guys will do well on my WKO100 ballot, there probably won't be more than ten spaces between them tops.  

Man, this match would tear the friggin house down in the Tokyo Dome. 

Both phenomenal workers, both awesome personalities.  But I think Nakamura edges Harper in the charisma department.  I'd be happy with either winning here, though I think I might have to pick Nak over my man Luke just based on his funky dancing and posing.  But then Harper has the best crazy eyes in the world...fuck I just don't know.

The best argument for Nak is that he's a star like few others in wrestling currently are, and that is something Harper will almost assuredly never be.

The best argument for Harper is that he is a consistently great worker, regardless of setting, match type, style or opponent.  And sadly that consistency is something I don't think we will ever get out of Nak. 

• Like 1

He's had 3. The Honma one was the best, the Okada one was the weakest. You have to see him when he's in there with anybody not great to really appreciate how bad he is. Like 90% of his G1 Climax matches were just out of this world bad.

So like I recognize that Nakamura has the charisma of three charismatic men, but does no one realize his offense is sloppy as hell?  He looks really loose to me a lot of the time where he doesn't really connect as well as a pure striker should.

The best argument for Nak is that he's a star like few others in wrestling currently are, and that is something Harper will almost assuredly never be.

The best argument for Harper is that he is a consistently great worker, regardless of setting, match type, style or opponent.  And sadly that consistency is something I don't think we will ever get out of Nak. 

That's the way I feel. i like both. Consistency vs. some highs. Do you go quality over quantity or other way round? Went with Luke Harper.

Nakamura is a band that you're better off buying a greatest hit album. Harper is a band where you really should just own every album and all the rare b-sides. I don't think this is all that close. 

This is the best argument I've seen for Harper so far.  If I didn't vote already this would be sure to make me think a while before doing so.  I still would have voted Nakamura, but I'm glad this is relatively close.

• Like 1

Nakamura has had actively bad matches this year, which have been discussed at length in previous threads. This isn't like judging someone like Rush or Daniel Bryan who have a great matches but not very many of them. Nakamura is a performer who has had great matches in addition to shitty ones. Harper does not have that problem. He literally has not had a bad televised match during the voting period. It's incredible. In my view, and it appears I am in a slight minority, this is the more impressive feat. I think it's rarer for a wrestler to be so consistent than it is for a wrestler to have a great top 3 and less impressive performances behind that. I think Harper has had a year that is similar in scope but better than the year Cesaro had last year to win March Madness. I think that this is a lesser field than last year. I'm not saying that i think Harper should win outright (although he easily could), but I do think his year should be put in perspective.