DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R4: JOHN CENA vs. SAMI ZAYN

RIPPA

JOHN CENA vs. SAMI ZAYN  

138 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I forget who said it here originally, but I agree that John Cena is the best WWE main event babyface ever.  I love Sami quite a lot too, but he's got a way to go to get on Cena's level to be that #1 babyface.  Cena has had an amazing year in-ring, specifically his matches vs Rusev, Lesnar, Rollins, Lesnar & Rollins, Harper, Wyatt and so many more I enjoyed.  And he consistently delivers every week with some of the most passionate & fiery promos on the roster.  He's basically been carrying WWE on his back for over a decade now.  John Cena, top 5 greatest of all-time IMO. 

• Like 4

Zayn had the triple threat against Kidd and Breeze, matches against Kidd and Breeze individually, tagged with Rose against Kidd/Breeze and the Lucha Dragons, the Neville series, Titus, and then Owens.

The bottom of the barrel for him as far as opponents went was Sin Cara and Titus O'Neill, so there's something to be said as far as quality of opponents, but then Cena's best matches were against Lesnar, Rollins, and Rusev, so I think that's a wash, there.

What I think you have to say about Zayn is that he had an incredibly consistent run. Every match he was in felt like the most important thing in the world to him, and while NXT's booking is a big part of that, I think it doesn't work without Sami selling the hell out of it, like in that last match with Neville.

Sami Zayn because when he gets the shit kicked out of him he doesn't show up the following week or a half hour later going LOLOLOLOLOL JK JK FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

His match against Lesnar was fantastic because he got murdered and we've never, ever been able to see that. But if that triple threat was a Shield/Wyatt 6 man, he was the Erik Rowan of the match. 

• Like 1

SO how does Zayn's best matches stack up?  He had a great match vs Owens & Neville.  A very good 4-way I recall as well....then what else am I missing?

I don't remember any matches as good as Cena's best.

Well, he got murdered by Owens so I'm not sure if you should count that.

Other than all of the awesome singles matches against Neville, he had great singles matches against Breeze and Kidd in the run up to being the #1 contender. Plus, there was the tag match from Raw.

SO how does Zayn's best matches stack up?  He had a great match vs Owens & Neville.  A very good 4-way I recall as well....then what else am I missing?

Other than all of the awesome singles matches against Neville, he had great singles matches against Breeze and Kidd in the run up to being the #1 contender. Plus, there was the tag match from Raw.

Zayn vs Owens was like a poor man's version of Cena vs Lesnar at Summer Slam.

• Like 2

Well, that's disingenuous as all hell.

Well, that's disingenuous as all hell.

Not to say it wasn't a good match, it was.  But it seemed like a very similar match structure, with a very similar outcome, that Lesnar & Cena did much better, and on a much bigger stage.

It had more in common with Sting vs. Vader than Cena vs. Lesnar. And if you want to draw a parallel  between those two matches, I thought Zayn sold better than Cena did and was more empathetic in body language.

• Like 2