DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R3: RUSEV vs. TOMOAKI HONMA

RIPPA

RUSEV vs. TOMOAKI HONMA  

113 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I think I have made really strong arguments for both of these guys in previous match ups.  I have no clue how close this vote will be, but this is one where I want to be swayed by the best arguments of others.  Rusev is my favorite overall act in wrestler barring maybe The Briscoes.  But Honma is not far off, and he might be my favorite in ring performer.  I'll post more on this later i'm sure, but I want to hear what other people have got on these two

Last round for Honma was a spite vote, this round is a sympathy vote, and who better to garner sympathy than Honma? That said Rusev had a really amazing year that they will probably fuck up after Mania so this is your best chance to give him a nod as one of the hottest and most solid in- and out-of-ring acts in the world. I'm too conflicted to vote so do what thou wilt.

Rusev is pretty good at the small stuff.  My favorite example being when the Russian flag failed to drop, so he went and grabbed the ringside flag and waved that fucker like his life depended on it.

Yeah I will give him that.   Rusev is slowly figuring out that you are on camera all of the time so little things matter a lot.

Honma is a far better worker than Rusev and I don't see what Rusev brings to compensate that. His act is fine. It's a rare ocassion of WWE actually being in touch with current affairs. He was booked well. But so what?

• Like 1

Honma is a far better worker than Rusev and I don't see what Rusev brings to compensate that. His act is fine. It's a rare ocassion of WWE actually being in touch with current affairs. He was booked well. But so what?

Yeah but did he ever save the day when a flag won't unfurl by grabbing another nearby flag and waving it hard?  If not I don't see what more there is to talk about.  Rusev in a walk.

Yeah but did he ever save the day when a flag won't unfurl by grabbing another nearby flag and waving it hard? 

Because waving a flag really hard is an unprecedented accomplishment that will permanently change the landscape of professional wrestling. It was a logical improvisation in a throwaway segment. Honma is still better.

Yeah but did he ever save the day when a flag won't unfurl by grabbing another nearby flag and waving it hard?

Because waving a flag really hard is an unprecedented accomplishment that will permanently change the landscape of professional wrestling. It was a logical improvisation in a throwaway segment. Honma is still better.

I think the failure of GOTNW to recognize this as a joke more than justifies a vote against Honma.

• Like 1

This is crazy.  He was waving that flag for a long time and he didn't blow up.  That's called workrate brother.

• Like 3

I think the failure of GOTNW to recognize this as a joke more than justifies a vote against Honma.

His response was amusing, the OP was not. It's telling that the only argument for Rusev is "a joke" and no one has bothered to explain why he is better. 

As I said during the first round, the general "People that worked Japan are better because they worked Japan" attitude of puro fans is going to work against their favorites. Nobody likes a snob. (BUT THAT'S NOT FAIRRRRRR YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THE MATCHES)

That said, I intend to use that flag-waving argument against Rusev once we get to the Rollins matchup, because Rusev did not have a better year than Rollins.

• Like 1

How many people are actually voting via "japan=better" logic? Honma has enough great performances in tags with Nagata/Shibata/whomever that I'd vote him over Rusev even if he didn't have a plethora of great singles matches that he does. Insert Rusev into any other promotion and he'd be getting substantially less support.