DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R3: SETH ROLLINS vs. ADRIAN NEVILLE

RIPPA

SETH ROLLINS vs. ADRIAN NEVILLE  

113 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

In a lot of ways, this is judging the Zayn vs Neville match and what Neville added there against the Triple Threat and what we think Rollins brought to the table there. I really think that Rollins had a better period last year than this year and Neville had a better period this year than last year.

I don't think the Cerebral Assassin Jr. run has been all that strong for Rollins and, honestly, seeing how well Neville did as a quasi dickish champ with heel leanings, I think maybe he could have done even better in that role than Rollins. 

My Rollins hate stems from the fact that I think as a heel he is a poor offensive worker, and I absolutely hated him on the mic for months.  I've softened on him some recently.  Kinda.  I still don't think he's any good really, but I don't change the channel when he talks anymore

I'll write more when not on my phone, but I don't think anyone in the world could've done more with what Rollins had to do. In many ways, it's easier for a wrestler to just be tasked with just going out and having good matches. Bonus points if they are able to play a character while doing so. Rollins had to carry the show and be a focal point despite not being champion. Sure, he was hamstrung with terrible writing and having to appear with Steph and HHH. Despite having to appear more than anyone else left in the tournament he stayed over. He gets more heel heat than anyone on the roster. He has had good matches all year. He's so much of a tool he made Randy Orton look like the best baby face in WWE.

Neville was good all year, but I don't feel like his work held up NXT, or made anyone else more over than they were before. I actually disagree wholeheartedly with Matt. Neville would be completely incapable of carrying a three hour show week in and week out.

Rollins is basically one of the 4 or 5 guys on the main WWE roster that I actually care about.  He's had a string of good to great matches all period, topped off with that Triple Threat.

Neville isn't a guy I particularly like or dislike, so this one wasn't hard for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm along the lines of DylanWaco. I don't like his offense (which is not good for a heel) and find him to be not any fun to watch when he's in control in a match. I also think his mic work is laborious to sit through. I think his best matches since he left the Shield are the 5v5 at Survivor Series and the triple threat at the Rumble. The former was a multiman tag. In the latter, I think he was the third-best guy. 

Furthermore, he had that awful lumberjack match with Ambrose in the midst of what I found to be an unentertaining feud and hasn't had a good one-on-one match yet in my view. I just genuinely don't enjoy the guy.

I think this year has proven that the Shield breakup happening when it did was a mistake and shouldn't have happened for at least another six months, if not longer. 

I really liked the lumberjack match (with the caveat that the stipulation was absolutely stupid for the match they ended up having)

Yeah, I'm in the minority on that one, and partially because I can't get past the block that it was exactly the opposite type of match than they should have had with lumberjacks out there, but also because their matches never felt as hatred-filled as they should have been. They felt more like a series of disconnected high spots than a bunch of violent confrontations.

I'll throw a vote Neville's way since he's getting crushed. Seth is a guy I'll admit had a strong year, but I don't care about him one way or the other. For a guy who's had more tv time the past year than anybody that's not a very good thing.

I think if you pared these two up with the same 10 opponents I'd find Neville's matches more interesting. Rollins must have had a dozen matches with Ziggler, and I couldn't tell you the difference from one to the other.

I don't get the Rollins hate at all. It seems like it's coming from people not liking HHH

Bingo.  He had an amazing year and he's actually improved quite a bit of the mic now. He was a huge reason why the Rumble triple threat match was the greatest triple threat match of all time.

I really don't get the hype behind that match. It started off really poorly and in a disjointed fashion. Brock hucking guys around is fine and dandy for a while but it just got plodding and they made Brock boring. Then it turned into a highspot fest and then a Cena/Rollins singles match after Brock was put through the table. The ending was really fun, I have no issue saying that, but I don't see it as a great match.

I remember people loving the shit out of the Vengeance 2002 triple threat with Rocky, Undertaker, and Angle. I wonder how the two measure up.

My gut says that Neville had the better year, but I haven't voted yet. Comparatively, Neville was just better this year. He's better on the mic, he's FOR SURE more nuanced than Rollins even though they both did a good job of acting like dicks to their opponents, and Neville's matches were better. Rollins on the other hand had a couple of amazing matches, but Neville was in a bunch of amazing matches. That's why I lean towards Neville, but I may still vote for Rollins anyway.