DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R3: SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. DEAN AMBROSE

RIPPA

SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. DEAN AMBROSE  

125 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Voted for Nakamura, but honestly these guys are very similar in a lot of ways. If New Japan workers were on t.v. every week, and held to the same standards as WWE guys are, it's possible Nak would come out looking like Ambrose (in both good and bad ways).

I think this is a tough draw for Ambrose, because for better or worse, people view Ambrose as a similar but worse version of Nakamura. I agree with Dylan's point that if Nakamura was held to the same standards this would be a much closer vote. Even so, I think Nakamura's good singles stuff outshines Ambrose's best this year.

• Like 1

I like Ambrose a lot, I really do.  But in the short time so far of seeing Nakamura I can't imagine not voting for him.  He is extremely captivating to watch, from his entrance to his matches.  It's no wonder he's one of the biggest stars NJPW has.  Before voting I'm going to need a strong case for Ambrose.  As it is I can't say Ambrose did enough for me to pick him.  Part of it is wonky booking, but there's still that something missing.

• Like 1

This is the ultimate dream matchup.  The first couple minutes would just be them trying to outcrazy each other.  Some way, somehow this needs to be accomplished.

But this thread is going to be so entertaining by Wednesday.

I think that if Nakamura ever came to the U.S. and signed with WWE, he'd get massively over in NXT in about two seconds and then get way over on the main roster even with the terrible booking. He's an amazing talent. 

Off the top of my head he had a few good matches with Sheamus when he dropped the US title, the best Bray match was on SD months before their feud, a really good match vs Del Rio, the Cesaro matches, there were good matches with Barrett, Harper, Rusev etc. All of those are real solid tv matches the problem with Ambrose's singles stuff was the big matches were too gimmicky. If hitc had delivered the violent bloody payoff it deserved we'd be having a different discussion. I though the MITB match was a real good performance from Ambrose.

I still think Dean may be my favorite tag face in peril guy in the WWE of the voting period. He had a great performance against the Wyatt's in that match from April on the Main Event, there was a real good Ambrose & Rollins vs Real Americans match from March, the Evolution matches, and the real good Ambrose/Cena  vs Rusev/Harper fan cam.

If that hitc match had delivered a moty, and Ambrose hadn't got shit on by the booking I think Dean would have a real shot at winning this year.

• Like 2

I think Ambrose is capable of the kind of year Nakamura had, in a vacuum. The problem with that is I don't see him getting the opportunity to be as good as he can be, character-wise, due to the booking. He's compared to Piper a lot, but the difference is Piper was booked to be crazy but also crafty and smart. Ambrose is booked to be crazy, but also kind of a self-defeating idiot. I need to watch a little more Nakamura stuff to be sure, but I think I'd rate his past year over Ambrose's.

OH NO. My favorite WWE guy against my favorite NJPW guy. DAMN THESE DRAWS.

I suppose I'll abstain and continue voting whoever wins afterward (if I remember to vote). I was hoping both guys could go farther, though. I might still vote Ambrose based on my justifiably biased love for him, though.

• Like 1

In that one gif --

Does he kiss Bray on his forehead? And Bray wipes it off? And then Dean starts laying in punches on him? Fuck you Bray ... I was only trying to be friends ...

+1

I'm glad I swayed someone with that gif post. Remind me next year to slog through some New Japan BEFORE March Madness begins.

And he kisses Bray, Bray headbutts him in response, and then he punches the hell out of him.

I'm glad I swayed someone with that gif post. Remind me next year to slog through some New Japan BEFORE March Madness begins.

And he kisses Bray, Bray headbutts him in response, and then he punches the hell out of him.

It's a headbutt/wipe. I never saw that before for whatever reason. I have yet to vote, but that does edge me towards voting Ambrose.