DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R3: DREW GULAK vs. SAMI ZAYN

RIPPA

DREW GULAK vs. SAMI ZAYN  

99 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

DREW GULAK

vs. Christina Von Eerie (about 42 minutes in)

vs. Ricochet

SAMI ZAYN

& Adam Rose vs. Lucha Dragons

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24iua0_kalisto-sin-cara-vs-adam-rose-sami-zayn-wwe-nxt-aug-21-2014_sport

& Tyson Kidd vs. Ascension

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zwlvu_wwe-nxt-sami-zayn-and-tyson-kidd-vs-nxt-tag-team-champions-the-ascension_sport

Gulak had a good run and now he shall be vanquished by NXT's golden boy. I think Drew Gulak had a period head and shoulders above Zayn but I know that won't be close to a popular opinion. And then you have something like the Zayn/Rose vs Kalisto/Sin Cara match linked where he doesn't stand out to me in any way despite not being in there with top tier talents(though admittedly they all brought it). I will say I love a good underdog in the voting process and Gulak is as good as guy as any to hope for. Despite that probably not meaning much in the grand scheme of things. 

From what I've seen of Gulak, his matches left me going "Damn, he's really really good!"  I love what he does.

But to go off of what Matt D said, Sami makes you feel things.  For me it's that feeling I had before I knew of insider information and finding everything on the internet.  It's that feeling of being 100% into everything with not thoughts of "great spot" or "great performance"  When Sami won the title it was just pure elation and there were definite feels.  Last time that happened was MAYBE in 1996 before I signed up for AOL.  I might be one guy, but if Sami could get that kind of response from me then that is a guy worth paying attention to.  And the Cesaro matches will forever be etched in my brain solely based on how much intensity he had in those matches.  Sami is the obvious vote.

I'm voting for Gulak because I think he deserves to be in the top 8. Probably not over Zayn, but oh well.

So you think both guys deserve to be in the top 8, but you're admittedly voting for the probably less deserving guy?

Yup. Zayn is going to win anyway, so my vote is meaningless. It's a statement thing, like voting for Ralph Nader.

I will always vote against the guy who has intergender matches in a match I must watch. I like what I've seen previously from Drew but yeah not voting for the dude who fights girls

So if I ran this 15 years ago - you would vote against Eddie Guerrero?

And for the record - I knew posting that match would bring up "issues" but it pretty much was the last Gulak match from the time period that was up for free online

I'd buy that Gulak had better matches in the period, but I think Zayn made a lot of people here FEEL something that they don't usually feel from watching wrestling anymore.

For me Zayn, like my boy D Bry last year, has been part of matches and angles that make me momentarily forget my usual smarky baggage and just believe in a guy.  Beyond the quality of his work, which was very high, he was able to elevate his character work to the point that I think he was the very best at it all year.  I like Gulak a lot, but I love Sami Zayn.

• Like 2

Zayn makes me care about wins and losses in pro wrestling as a bitter old man. I don't know if I could give a worker more praise than that. Gulak has been a great find this tournament, and I'll look forward to following his career from here on out.

I will always vote against the guy who has intergender matches in a match I must watch. I like what I've seen previously from Drew but yeah not voting for the dude who fights girls

Then I can count on you not to vote for Seth Rollins!  Good on ya!

So if I ran this 15 years ago - you would vote against Eddie Guerrero?

And for the record - I knew posting that match would bring up "issues" but it pretty much was the last Gulak match from the time period that was up for free online

No 15 year old Brysynner would think Eddie Guerrero beating up Chyna was awesome. 30 year old, father of a 2 year old daughter, does not find any male on female violence entertaining.  Look it can be done tasteful but for every tasteful match we get something stupid like the Young Bucks superkicking the hell outta Joey Ryan's partner or Kimber Lee damn near getting killed. It's a personal preference which is what makes this tournament fun.

• Like 1

Then I can count on you not to vote for Seth Rollins!  Good on ya!

Well I want Rusev to have a good victory in this tournament