DVDVR Message Board

2015-2016 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Reports are that Barnes is out at Texas after refusing the AD's demands to overhaul his coaching staff.  This one I would be a little worried about Marshall leaving for.

Jobwatch updates!

• Russell Turner (UC Irvine) or LaValle Moton (NC Central) to George Mason?
  • Dave Leitao back at DePaul.
  • Gregg Marshall to irrelevance Alabama? or a job for 10 years Texas?

Local word is that it will be Turner for Mason and that they will announce it tomorrow

Well either the Post or Daily News this am (I think the Daily News) had a sidebar talking to a couple of local HS prospects who weren't considering St Johns and both said that if Mullins called - they would.

Russ Turner turned down George Mason? so GMU is gonna hire Bucknell's coach instead?

Yup - Dave Paulson is going to be Mason's coach

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider  30m30 minutes ago

Bucknell's Dave Paulsen is new basketball coach at George Mason U, multiple sources say. News conference probably Wed #masonmbb #gmu

We he is at least talking with them - who knows if it will be finalized. (Though folks around Richmond and here in the DMV believe Smart is leaving)

CBS Sports says Texas' fall back plans are Utah's Larry Krystkowiak and Xavier's Chris Mack.

Good to see the SEC get some better coaches. Cal, Donovan, Pearl, Barnes, Marshall (hopefully) is a very solid group. Mark Fox is underrated IMO. He had his team extremely well prepped to play Kentucky twice this year.

Recruiting is important now. LSU is killing it for next year, even if it is to the worst coach in the league.

Kelly Oubre is leaving Kansas for the draft.  No real surprise there.  I expect Alexander will follow suit in the next couple of days since his family is still stonewalling the NCAA.

Alabama's backup plan if they don't get Marshall is Richard Pitino.

The Eastern Kentucky coach is Jeff Neubauer. He played for my La Salle Explorers back in the day. He was assistant under John Beilien for a long time before taking the EKU job. They've made the NCAA Tournament a few times and a bunch of the consolation tournaments. EKU has only had one sub-.500 season since he's been there, I believe, and a bunch of 20+ seasons. That's really impressive when you consider how hard it must be to recruit at EKU, that there are a ton of teams in Kentucky already, and in-conference foe Murray State is somewhat of a regional power. He's always been the "if our current coach goes, it's his job if he wants it" guy for La Salle. They run a bunch of fun stuff. Dude also had a 4.0.

I think he's a great fit for Fordham. They supposedly offered the job first to Andy Toole from Robert Morris, who has done a great job at a commuter school in suburban Pittsburgh. But he didn't like the pay that was offered, so they went elsewhere. Not sure if Toole is going to get another look this year or if he's holding out for a good A-10-type job if something opens up for him. He's really young.

Fordham's had the same problem for a long time. They get guys from area NEC/CAA colleges and bring them in, based off their recruiting success. They'll get a decent recruiting class, struggle, can't coach them up and then see players leave elsewhere. The school is also very rigorous with its academics and doesn't play UNC games with its athletes. Their upper mid-major status is also really difficult for them due to location. There are a bunch of NEC and MAAC schools right there -- with Iona and Manhattan, which are both very good programs, something like five miles away. Hofstra's also not far away and is in that recruiting mix. They've got a real good track record of getting under-the-radar kids that Fordham also looks for. St. John's, Seton Hall and Rutgers are the lead local programs for the NYC/North Jersey Top 100-type kids. That's not impossible to recruit against but it's not easy, either.

I think it's smart to get someone not from the region who has a track record of running a good team in a crowded area.

Dave Paulson to George Mason is also a really good hire. Paulson found Mike Muscala from out-of-nowhere and he's in the NBA. I saw them play in person a bunch during that era -- they were way better than just your common Exceptional Undiscovered Gem In Small Conference team. Bucknell's a friggin' load to play against. They run all sorts of smart, slow-down play. If he gets any of the DC-area players to Mason they're going to get real good very quickly.