DVDVR Message Board

2015-2016 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

At Rider-St Peters enjoying some MAACtion. Rider is trouncing the Peacocks 30-7 with 7 minutes left in the first half. At least I got a free Peacocks t-shirt.

• Like 1

I spent some of Thursday night watching Cal State-Bakersfield take on the Grand Canyon University Lopes in WACtion on my laptop. (Don't ask why.)

GCU is one of the weirdest teams in the country. They are so intriguing.and bizarre. To wit:

1) They are 19-2 and received some Top 25 votes this week.

2) Their head coach is Dan Majerle. Yes. "Thunder" Dan. He of the orange skin tones of early versions of NBA Live.

3) They're not eligible for the NCAA tournament due to their transitional stature.

4) GCU is the only for-profit college playing D-1 sports. They have 75,000 online students.

5) However, GCU was a Christian college until 2004, when it was bought by a controversial "leader" in for-profit education. Unlike the University of Phoenix, GCU has an actual campus home to 11,000 students.

6) They play in a 7,000 seat arena that they routinely sell out.

7) They have roughly 45 cheerleaders. It's an insane amount of cheerleaders.

8) They have one of the craziest student sections in NCAA basketball.

9) They also have an insane introductory video package. (

)
  • Like 2

I watched one of the most insane basketball games in memory last night on ESPNU.

Rider hosted Monmouth (who have a very strong at-large argument) at the Broncs Zoo in Lawrenceville, NJ. I've been to their gym -- it's a crazy bandbox. The game was also at 9 p.m. at a school known for having a party atmosphere. The place was packed and completely insane. These two kids sat right by ESPN's main mic set-up and sounded like Johnny's henchmen from the first Karate Kid.

The game was really even until the first half. Then Monmouth went on a tear and ended up by 14 or so. The lead narrowed to 9 at half.

Rider started the second half on the single most incredible tear I have ever seen a college team go on. It was a mid-major version of Klay Thompson's 37-point quarter but with an entire team. It was crazy. They ended up leading by double digits in the blink of an eye, peaking up 14 w/ 3:30 to go.

The Hawks then went on the nuttiest comeback. A couple of threes and forced TOs narrowed the score. Rider also passed up a few easy looks to play stall-ball, resulting in some really bad shots. Monmouth tied the game w/ 50 seconds left. Rider then got the all into the hands of their quality forward who made a good shot inside to go up two.

But Monmouth got the ball into the hands of Justin Robinson, their 5'8" PG who is averaging 20 PPG. He's incredible. He drained a step-back three with three seconds left. Rider couldn't get a shot off and game over.

What's also crazy is next Friday. Monmouth beat Iona 110-102 (in regulation!) in New Rochelle a month or so ago. You may remember this -- an Iona player socked a Monmouth player in the face post-game. The rematch is Friday night in Monmouth. Monmouth has had one of the most insane atmospheres in the northeast this year. The game has been sold out for months. Also, it's a 10 p.m. start time. Also, Monmouth is the preeminent party school in New Jersey. That place is bonkers. I would totally go to this game (I'd drop $75 for a ticket) but I have NXT that night in Asbury. Asbury's only a few minutes away Monmouth's campus and I might try and figure out a way to watch the game afterwards.

Get on board the Hawks!

Pretty good timing for Maryland that he's getting suspended against Minnesota instead of, you know, a real team.

Wisconsin has quietly gotten really good the past 6 weeks.  They've won 7 in a row, including 2 wins over top-3 teams, and shot over 38% from 3 in 6 of those games.  They're getting good production from guys like Jordan Hill and Vitto Brown that stunk on toast for most of the year.  If they can beat either Iowa or Michigan State then a single-digit tournament seed is definitely in play.  It's a pretty amazing job by Gard considering the limitations of the team.

Larry Brown is a a garbage human. 

"The Mustangs were banned from postseason play and Brown was suspended for the first nine games of the season after a September report when the NCAA ruled that a former men's basketball administrative assistant completed online course work for a student to meet eligibility requirements.

What we were accused of doing, we should have gotten penalized,' Brown said Tuesday. 'Our secretary did an online course for a kid -- it wasn't an SMU course, he didn't even need the course. ... To say there was a 'lack of compliance' is a big bunch of bull.'"

So great. A school employee takes a course for a kid and he's totally fine with it. What a shitty person.

You've done this anti-Larry Brown thing a few times now. It's a bit bizarre. He is fine with it, just like every other division I college basketball and football coach is fine with it. He's just old and crotchety so he admits it. If you want to post 'every college coach is a garbage person' fine, I agree, but I don't see why you hone in on him so often. Do you hate him from his time with the 76ers?

GAME OF THE YEAR TONIGHT:

Monmouth vs. Iona. Monmouth tries to clinch the regular season MAAC title at home against the defending champion. The Monmounth bench is hilarious. The last time they played was a 110-102 thriller that ended in a handshake line brawl. Both coaches hate each other and are sorta dicks. Game is at 10 PM and Monmouth is a notorious party school. This is going to be cray-cray. I might try and go after NXT in Asbury lets out.

THE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT RETURNS!

This is a winner-take-all $2 million tournament put together by a former Tim and Eric producer. It was absolutely insane to watch unfold. I went to the Philly games and they were really a lot of fun and totally surreal. I watched a bunch of Syracuse alum (Lawrence Moten, even!) and a lot of former NBA player (Danny Fortson) take on kids who played for their dorm team in college. But some of the games were actually legitimately competitive and fun, especially as the tournament advanced. It also felt like a few of the teams were put together to avoid RICO charges, which was a nice touch.

• Like 1

FAVORITE MID-MAJORS THIS YEAR (IN NO ORDER):

1) Stephen F. Austin. They're the most underrated program in the country. They stole a win over VCU a few years ago in the tournament with an insane 4-point play late. They've won their past 14 games by an average of 23 points. The Southland is a terrible conference so they'll be lucky to have a Top 100 RPI, and have no shot at an at-large. But this team has won an average of 27 games over the past few years. They'll probably end up with 27 or 28 this year.

2) Stony Brook. They've been a secretly good team that hasn't been able to sneak into the tournament out of the America East. They have an RPI of 52 and three Top 100 wins, but they haven't appeared on any Bubble Watch lists yet. Jameel Varney is an absolute beast and one of the best big men in the country. One of those "late round second round" guys.

3) Valpo. I am absolutely picking them to win at least one game in the tournament. Wonderful team with depth and size and guards. Bryce Drew is their head coach.

4) Princeton. The Ivy League is tied right now between Princeton and Yale. Their regular season champion goes on to the dance. Yale's a really good veteran team that lost in the Ivy League play-in game last year against Harvard. But Princeton is friggin' TOUGH this year and has a Top 40 RPI somehow. I have no idea how that's possible. They're also a year ahead of schedule. They return all of their roster next year. Their only senior is a walk-on level player. I think they'll be ranked next season.

5) South Dakota State. Veteran mid-major program that has your trademark senior, steady veteran guards and steady outside shooting.

6) I haven't seen them this year but UA-Little Rock is 23-3 and Chattanooga is also very good and is a VCU derivative.

ADD: Hofrsta. They clinched the CAA regular season crown today. Two really good senior guards, led by Ju'Niya Green who might end up playing in the NBA next year. Wonderful ball movement and well-coached team.