DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R2: KEVIN OWENS vs. CAVERNARIO

RIPPA

KEVIN OWENS vs. CAVERNARIO  

109 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Rippa, you are a veritable fiend. Okay, KO has  perhaps been top 5 in North America. Cavernario has been top 3 in the world, arguably #1.

CMLL guys I think had a better year than Cavernario:

Virus, Casas, Rush, Hechicero

Guys who I think had comparable years:

Blue Panther, Sombra

Guys who I do not think had a better year than Cavernario:

Kevin Owens.

I get that Cavernario is exciting. He bring amazing character work and is hugely versatile. My favorite thing is how he loops that character work into what he's doing whether it's matwork or a rudo beatdown or eating a bunch of armdrags. I've seen the splash not lead to an immediate end-of-fall too much. I wasn't as high on the Rey Cometa match as some people were. I'm on the bandwagon, but like I said, I'm way more excited about his 2016 than I was about his 2014.

That said, he still beats Owens. 

Owens has been great since joining NXT, but the rest of his year was pretty blah. Voted for Cavernario, but I think he's going to lose.

I think this is what really stands out to me.

Even IF I was lower on Cavernario, I'd have to be REALLY low on him to take Owens over him.

Owens has in fact been great in NXT, but it's been what, a fifth of the relevant voting period?  Prior to that he did have a great match with Mike Bailey in C*4, and that Nakamura match from ROH which I didn't love but was over huge with the live crowd.  He had become really stale in ROH as a whole though, and I don't remember anyone talking about him having a great year prior to his signing.

I think some people might argue "well yeah, but Owens has had his career moments in this period and they are really tremendous moments," to wish I would argue "so has Cavernario...and he's 21 years old."  The En Busca de un Idolo run and winning the tournament, taking Cometa's hair on the biggest show of the year, getting a main event title shot against Titan and delivering, et.  Cavernario had some pretty big time career highs, on top of having way more volume than Owens. during the period. 

If Bull Dempsey had been booked the exact same way as Owens in NXT for the past two months, and had comparable matches (which isn't far fetched given the opponents), he would be getting destroyed in this match up. I'm not super high on Cavernario, and the splash makes my whole body hurt, but this doesn't feel close to me. 

I'm really surprised Dylan liked that Owens-Bailey match.  It felt to me like a parody of all the bad things people say about PWG.  Wayyyy too many kickouts of things that shouldn't have been kicked out of.

I'm really surprised Dylan liked that Owens-Bailey match.  It felt to me like a parody of all the bad things people say about PWG.  Wayyyy too many kickouts of things that shouldn't have been kicked out of.

An Owens vs Bayley match would be horrible!

I'm really surprised Dylan liked that Owens-Bailey match. It felt to me like a parody of all the bad things people say about PWG. Wayyyy too many kickouts of things that shouldn't have been kicked out of.

I'm really surprised Dylan liked that Owens-Bailey match. It felt to me like a parody of all the bad things people say about PWG. Wayyyy too many kickouts of things that shouldn't have been kicked out of.

It would make that Kimber Lee Match seem like Funk/Brisco.

JRGoldman, on 11 Mar 2015 - 2:27 PM, said:

If Bull Dempsey had been booked the exact same way as Owens in NXT for the past two months, and had comparable matches (which isn't far fetched given the opponents), he would be getting destroyed in this match up. I'm not super high on Cavernario, and the splash makes my whole body hurt, but this doesn't feel close to me. 

Owens had a better match with CJ Parker than Dempsey has ever had.

• Like 1

CJ Parker isn't actually a bad wrestler, though.

CJ Parker could be one of the best wrestlers in the world and probably still be hated on. I mean look at him! And that dance just makes you want to see him in a handicap match with Brock Lesnar and a grizzly bear.

Hugging Kevin Owens usually doesn't end well

1418392832664.gif

I don't think I can vote. I viscerally am invested in Owens's work in NXT to a high degree, but I understand clearly that Cavernario, on work alone, has had a better year. 

I know the concept is supposed to be "who's better", but I look at all these titles and just try to imagine how they'd work the match if it actually happened. Do they do a rudo versus rudo brawl? Does Cavernario work as pseudo-Zayn? Would the cavernaria work on a man of Owens size? Would Hechicero/Zayn be a better match? These questions will all cost me sleep tonight.