DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R2: DREW GULAK vs. DOLPH ZIGGLER

RIPPA

DREW GULAK vs. DOLPH ZIGGLER  

106 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Could someone who is voting for Dolph sum up your "fuck Drew Gulak" sentiments as clearly as I summed up mine about Dolph by calling him a Billy Gunn tribute act with Mr. Perfect bumping? It would at least make me feel better about Dolph winning this when almost this whole thread is people summing up why he sucks.

The case for Gulak is tough to make relative to some of these other guys because the majority of his best matches are not available for free.  The entire Thatcher series (Evolve, FIP, AWO) is from the voting period, and I don't think there was a single one of those matches that was less than great - but not a one of them is on youtube or dailymotion to my knowledge.  He had a very good match with Busick from CZW, and I MOTY level tremendous match with Busick from CZW on 4/27.  Neither is up on youtube or dailymotion to my knowledge. The really good match v. Roddy Strong of all people from FIP isn't either. Really the best look at what makes Gulak good is the Gacy match and that's a 35 minute match, from a warehouse, in front of a smattering of people.  The setting there compared to say the 4/27 show couldn't be more different, and I can see some people not even bothering because of that.  But it's worth noting that you could make a case that that match is the fifth best Gulak match of the time period.  And that's a match that people really seem to have liked.  I mean, I enjoyed his carry job of Ricochet (which is on Youtube) and the match teaming with Busick against the Bucks from Smash (which might be on Youtube), but I'm not sure anyone is going to watch those matches and take him over Dolph.

Dolph is a perfectly fine wrestler, but I don't think he's even in Gulak's universe to be honest.  If people want to see him in a "different" light they may want to try that match v. Ricochet from House of Glory. It's a really solid Superstars-ish match that shows some range from Gulak.  

All that said I would still like to hear something of a case for Dolph.  

If Dolph wins, could this be considered one of the main reasons?  We've had a ton of Dolph matches to check out, but fuck if I can pinpoint Gulak's best stuff that's out there for free.  A lot of it is from shows you'd have to pay for.  I know that WWN is working on a subscription service instead of paying for shows individually.  When that comes out I wonder if people would be more able to watch his matches.  As it is it's hard to see why Dolph should win this.

The case for Gulak is tough to make relative to some of these other guys because the majority of his best matches are not available for free.  The entire Thatcher series (Evolve, FIP, AWO) is from the voting period, and I don't think there was a single one of those matches that was less than great - but not a one of them is on youtube or dailymotion to my knowledge.  He had a very good match with Busick from CZW, and I MOTY level tremendous match with Busick from CZW on 4/27.  Neither is up on youtube or dailymotion to my knowledge. The really good match v. Roddy Strong of all people from FIP isn't either. Really the best look at what makes Gulak good is the Gacy match and that's a 35 minute match, from a warehouse, in front of a smattering of people.  The setting there compared to say the 4/27 show couldn't be more different, and I can see some people not even bothering because of that.  But it's worth noting that you could make a case that that match is the fifth best Gulak match of the time period.  And that's a match that people really seem to have liked.  I mean, I enjoyed his carry job of Ricochet (which is on Youtube) and the match teaming with Busick against the Bucks from Smash (which might be on Youtube), but I'm not sure anyone is going to watch those matches and take him over Dolph.

Dolph is a perfectly fine wrestler, but I don't think he's even in Gulak's universe to be honest.  If people want to see him in a "different" light they may want to try that match v. Ricochet from House of Glory. It's a really solid Superstars-ish match that shows some range from Gulak.  

If Dolph wins, could this be considered one of the main reasons?  We've had a ton of Dolph matches to check out, but fuck if I can pinpoint Gulak's best stuff that's out there for free.  A lot of it is from shows you'd have to pay for.  I know that WWN is working on a subscription service instead of paying for shows individually.  When that comes out I wonder if people would be more able to watch his matches.  As it is it's hard to see why Dolph should win this.

I guess I understand that sentiment, but I don't think that the free Dolph matches that we were treated to this year are noteworthy in any way. does that mean that people are just voting on name recognition alone? That seems....less than ideal.

• Like 1

I guess I understand that sentiment, but I don't think that the free Dolph matches that we were treated to this year are noteworthy in any way. does that mean that people are just voting on name recognition alone? That seems....less than ideal.

It's possible that not everyone agrees with your assessment of Dolph.