DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R2: DREW GULAK vs. DOLPH ZIGGLER

RIPPA

DREW GULAK vs. DOLPH ZIGGLER  

106 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Ziggler sold like a beast for Bray Wyatt and has looked amazing recently even if his moveset is slowly turning him into Nise Mr. Ass but, yeah.  Drew Gulak, mother fuckers.

I'm going to watch a few more Gulak matches before voting. I need to see more stuff in front of real crowds. I've really liked some of Ziggler's performances, but he gets repetitive with spots, and too hammy with his selling. Plus he pretty much sucks on the mic and as a character.

• Like 1

I have learned something! This Gulak guy is really, really good and I will probably spend several hours chasing down matches to watch as I've been completely ignorant as how good he really is. That said, Dolph had an amazing year, I wish he'd tone it down a little bit to make it look more like he's in a fight as opposed to showing off flashy movez, but even with that criticism he had a really tremendous year.

if this is about workrate, Dolph Ziggler should not win because he has had worse matches with better opponents than Gulak. If it's about character and promo, Dolph Ziggler should not win because Dolph only knows how to cut one promo, and that promo hinges on the fact that Dolph claims he is the best at fake fighting (which is false). 

Ziggler had a worse year than he had last year, and fell upwards because there were less over faces. The only way I could see voting for Ziggler is if you vote on who has the worse hair, and that is a silly criteria and you should be ashamed. 

• Like 1

Gulak's going to get destroyed in this, which is a shame.  If it's a sympathy vote so be it, but going with Drew.

I'm sympathy voting for Dolph.  Survivor Series will probably be the peak of his career and he turned in some of his best performances during the voting period.  

So many people here hate the guy, but ehh... you all suck anyways.

Dolph will win.  I voted Gulak, and would vote him over most people in this tournament.  I could explain why, but I am more interested in why Dolph is regarded so highly by many people.  I would ever call him bad, and lord knows he's stayed more over than his push, but even in what felt like a down year for the WWE I don't think he was a top ten guy in that promotion. 

I don't hate Ziggler by any means, I really like the guy.  I'm definitely in the camp that wants to see him pushed.  But it bugs me that he is more concerned with being flashy than being intense.  A visit to the New Japan dojo would do wonders for him (we can only dream)  It would be nice to just see him in a grudge feud and show that he wants to just kick somebody's ass.  But right now it's not there.

Dolph will win.  I voted Gulak, and would vote him over most people in this tournament.  I could explain why, but I am more interested in why Dolph is regarded so highly by many people.  I would ever call him bad, and lord knows he's stayed more over than his push, but even in what felt like a down year for the WWE I don't think he was a top ten guy in that promotion. 

It's just proof that if you say something enough, people start to believe it. Ziggler has cut the same promo for at least three years at this point, talking about how he is held down by the powers that be, and how he is way better at wrestling than other less deserving people who are the champions. At some point, the crowds buy in to it. I think this is especially true for a large portion of the internet fanbase, as they are predisposed to distrust the office, and want to be ahead of the curve. By placing Ziggler on a pedestal, they in one fell swoop feel like they are championing a wrestler that is only appreciated by them because of their discerning sensibilities and giving the finger to Vince, Steph and HHH for holding down deserving awesome wrestlers like Zack Ryder and Damien Mizdow. 

This is REALLY hard. I mean, I enjoy Gulak more on a preference level, I think, but I think you could argue that Ziggler has been the hero of the undercard. He had the Cesaro matches (loved the 2/3 falls, even though it's not a match everyone loves), the Harper matches, the great work in the 5v5 at SurSer, etc. I mean, he is really, really flawed in some ways, but he stealthily had a TON of work I really loved, and I typically don't enjoy him that much. 

Gulak has that match with Timothy Thatcher from just at the beginning of the voting period that I really liked, and I have seen him in enjoyable stuff here and there all year. However, probably because of easier access, I've just seen a ton of Ziggler last year that I really genuinely enjoyed and would put up as "match of the card" stuff. Oh man, I'm voting Ziggler with some reservations.

I'm struggling to think of great Dolph matches in this timeframe. The ladder match with Harper was pretty damn good but I probably enjoyed Harper more in that one. The Survivor Series tag was pretty awesome. 

I don't know. I'm going to watch more Gulak and come back to this.

The silent majority seems to be indicating that a better case for Gulak needs to be made.

(Dolph has rattled off like 7 straight votes is what I'm saying)

The case for Gulak is tough to make relative to some of these other guys because the majority of his best matches are not available for free.  The entire Thatcher series (Evolve, FIP, AWO) is from the voting period, and I don't think there was a single one of those matches that was less than great - but not a one of them is on youtube or dailymotion to my knowledge.  He had a very good match with Busick from CZW, and I MOTY level tremendous match with Busick from CZW on 4/27.  Neither is up on youtube or dailymotion to my knowledge. The really good match v. Roddy Strong of all people from FIP isn't either. Really the best look at what makes Gulak good is the Gacy match and that's a 35 minute match, from a warehouse, in front of a smattering of people.  The setting there compared to say the 4/27 show couldn't be more different, and I can see some people not even bothering because of that.  But it's worth noting that you could make a case that that match is the fifth best Gulak match of the time period.  And that's a match that people really seem to have liked.  I mean, I enjoyed his carry job of Ricochet (which is on Youtube) and the match teaming with Busick against the Bucks from Smash (which might be on Youtube), but I'm not sure anyone is going to watch those matches and take him over Dolph.

Dolph is a perfectly fine wrestler, but I don't think he's even in Gulak's universe to be honest.  If people want to see him in a "different" light they may want to try that match v. Ricochet from House of Glory. It's a really solid Superstars-ish match that shows some range from Gulak.  

All that said I would still like to hear something of a case for Dolph.  

• Like 1

Okay, I can't see Gulak turning this around at this point, so I don't think it's a lot to ask - if you are a Dolph supporter what are your top five matches/performances from him last year?  Would like to hear someone make a case for him based on a top ten, but I can live with top five. 

To me the most impressive thing about Ziggler is that he can remain over after being booked like a chump for so long. I still went with Gulak based on the Gacy match posted because there's no way in hell Ziggler could've kept my attention for that long in Gulak's spot.

I think most of the Ziggler love comes from WWE fans buying into the gimmick. I thought he drug Rollins down early in Rollins' singles run, and he had a painfully bad long match with Bray on Raw. Most of his best stuff is multi man matches or gimmick stuff. Also I'm not a fan of the bumping to get himself over instead of his opponent stuff. The 100% to 0% selling after one move also gets on my nerves.

Plus the dudes offense is shit which really gets exposed in longer matches. He even had matches with Cesaro that let me down, and it certainly wasn't due to Cesaro. If Ziggler was as good as he thinks he is he'd be a multi time March Madness winner.