DVDVR Message Board

Powers

Watched the first episode today. It's all right, not earth shattering and not an embarrassmrnt. Copley still feels like a really weird choice for Walker, Pilgrim is an amalgam of Enki and Deena, and the pilot appears to pull threads from every arc of Vol 1. If you have PS+ it's perfectly fine (better than Gotham for sure) but I would not recommend spending money just to see it.

Never read the comic so I didn't know what to expect going in, but I liked the first episode well enough. Is the comic worth checking out?

Volume 1 yes, but until the last arc. The others, i dont even remember the stories.

It's too bad there is literally zero percent chance of the Warren Ellis ride-along story ever getting adapted, because that might be the moment that nerd culture implodes on itself.

Trivia note: that cover was originally going to be used for an issue of my magazine. But then either bendis or oeming decided to use it for an issue of powers. good decision.

I read a decent amount of this series and enjoyed it for the most part.  Some of the storylines were repetitive at times, and I felt it did the "lets be graphic here because we can" cliche a couple times more than I thought was needed in it.

I haven't read very many positive reviews about the tv series though.  I understand why they would focus on Walker since Copley is obviously the main star, but I think making Pilgrim the focal point makes more sense.  Yeah, and I agree about Copley being an odd choice.  I think they just wanted some type of "name".  Also, you need a decent size budget to pull off a world filled with superheroes and from the looks of the trailer, this Playstation Original Series isn't going to have it.  I wish the FX network didn't passed on their pilot.

That's exactly what's missing. The plotting is actually solid. The characters are a little stiff so far, but no worse than most of its competition. But the dialogue is too dry to really pop well.  Also, Bug should have been wearing an absurdly tacky Ted Kord knock-off costume like in the comics, just for the lulz.

• 6 months later...