DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Random Bullshit 3-9-15

MGFanJay

The Rock went on Opie and Anthony years ago. One of the guys they had in studio ran a web site that had racist jokes about the Rock. Something like because the Rock is half black and half Samoan he doesn't know whether to eat or steal.  Rock said I'm not staying with this guy here. Opie and Anthony backed him and the Rock walked. Some people just don't like being on the receiving end of racially disparaging remarks.

The Rock wouldn't gel with Bill DeMott's training methods.

I hope we get Heyman as Roman's manager and he drops a "ONE MAN SAMOAN SWAT TEAM" reference. Heyman as Roman's biggest cheerleader really does set up a turn perfectly.

• Like 1

The best part of the O&A interview was Opie yelling "We're going to be more famous than you ever will!" at the Rock as he was leaving. They've since made up but that line is still high on the very long list of dumb things Opie has said over the years.

If you google Samoan savage, every link on the first few pages pertain to someone from the Anoaʻi family tree. This is not a widely held stereotype an ethnic group is trying to move past. This is wrestling.

There are enough Samoans in prominent places in the industry that if anyone was offended we'd know about it.

Yup.

People know that WWE has a bunch of racists employed. People also know that the company has a PISS POOR track record when it comes to the handling of minority characters. The backlash against Heyman isn't because he is playing a character and getting heat- the backlash is due to the fact that this is yet ANOTHER instance in a long list of instances of racist WWE behavior. Remember this is the 'Reality Era' and shit is super meta.

If you google Samoan savage, every link on the first few pages pertain to someone from the Anoaʻi family tree. This is not a widely held stereotype an ethnic group is trying to move past. This is wrestling.

There are enough Samoans in prominent places in the industry that if anyone was offended we'd know about it.

Yup.

So because The Rock didn't tweet about it, it isn't offensive? Right. Were you both comfortable with the racial overtones of the Booker-HHH feud when that went down?

HHH being a bigot in that angle wasn't the issue so much as having him proven right by beating Booker cleanly was. Can't do that type of angle and then have the face lose without the aesop being broken completely. 

• Like 1

I told one of my employees that Brock is going to beat Reigns and go to UFC with the WWE Championship. CM Punk will come out and challenge Brock to a "UFC Rulez" match at the co promoted UFC 189: Summerslam. Brock Wins, but then Frank Mir storms the ring and the two begin to brawl. UFC fighters storm the ring and attack Lesnar, Seth Rollins cashes in and wins the WWE Championship.

• Like 2

I told one of my employees that Brock is going to beat Reigns and go to UFC with the WWE Championship. CM Punk will come out and challenge Brock to a "UFC Rulez" match at the co promoted UFC 189: Summerslam. Brock Wins, but then Frank Mir storms the ring and the two begin to brawl. UFC fighters storm the ring and attack Lesnar, Seth Rollins cashes in and wins the WWE Championship.

Needs more Chael Sonnen.

Someone needs to ask Chael Sonnen to withdraw his withdrawal of his comments* about Lance Armstrong.

* Made by a Mexican gentleman. Guel Sonnen.

Yup.

So because The Rock didn't tweet about it, it isn't offensive? Right. Were you both comfortable with the racial overtones of the Booker-HHH feud when that went down?

Let it go man. You're just digging a deeper hole.

• Like 1

Heyman is certainly articulate enough to where he could have gotten the same point across without using loaded language.  And it's not so much about how insiders react to it.  It's about the public at large. Within the past week, they've had to basically fire a guy for his racist, sexist, homophobic, and physical abuse.  If nothing else, they should be sensitive to their own circumstances and tread lightly in using questionable language.

It may be a little thing, but WWE has a history of it and as a public company now, they can't afford to be seen as crude elitists.  Even if that's what they really are--they have to cover it better.

• Like 2

So Rollins is gonna win MITB two years in a row and only cash in once?