DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Random Bullshit 3-9-15

MGFanJay

If the IC match isn't just 15 minutes of Daniel Bryan murdering everyone in the match like a Cena vs every tag team gauntlet, they're booking it wrong. 

Also at the end he and some Japanese preteens sing the soul of the IC title into the body of a frog to kill it's curse forever.

• Like 3

What kind of wrestling world do we live in that Curtis freaking Axel is entertaining?  That just boggles the mind.

To be fair to the guy he hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip. He was brought in as this prestigious Heyman guy but he really wasn't was he? He was a hurdle for Punk to jump over and to hand out beatings to for months on end until Punk inevitably got his hands on Heyman. Any redeeming qualities Axel had left from his re-debut onwards evaporated and pretty much killed him. Hell, Axel has had it way worse than 90% of the guys we all moan about, fair play to him for running with something that's working and getting over, I have no doubt it's probably his idea, too.

I've met Dave Kingman; I'd be more concerned about Kingman eating the cannibals. After all, we're talking about a man that hit a ball so hard that it never came back down.*

*True story, it got stuck in the roof of the Kingdome.

I'd probably collapse a lung from laughing so hard if they actually did change the lyrics in 'Rollin'" to 'Roman".  And, hey, it could continue their trend of throwing money at celebrities the fans don't give two shits about.  Wiz should fire his agent or whoever thought last night was a good idea.

Oh, and how simple would it have been for the Matadores to beat the Usos and then.... Here comes the pain.

I'm assuming they pay Brock by the muscle and can't actually afford to have him move around on those rare occasions he actually appears.  Hell, they apparently spent so much signing Sting, they can't have afford to have him actually do anything - even speak.

Awful show, imo.  There's not a single feud being built that interests me.  The multi-man IC title and tag title matches seem like the laziest way possible to get guys their WrestleMania checks and is a waste of several full-timers who could actually draw.  I really don't get the logic behind relegating full-timers to throwaway matches and trying to build feuds around part-timers who either can't or won't be put on TV.  Though I was amused last night that they've gone from Triple H trying to build the Sting feud by basically playing off himself to trying to build the feud with.... neither guy.  Ok.

I'd be ok if Undertaker didn't actually show up for his match.  Somehow I'd survive.

Discussion of Dave Kingman and cannibalism in the same thread? I love this place.

If cannibals eat Dave Kingman, does that make them de facto babyfaces or do they still have to work heel?

Moreover, it's WrestleMania season and CURTIS AXEL IS MORE OVER THAN ROMAN REIGNS!

I think it's irony and sarcasm that is over, not Axel. 

I think this is a prime example of why the WWE doesn't listen to it's audience: Based on crowd reactions, the main event of Wrestlemania should be Mizdow vs. Curtis Axel. 

• Like 1

To piggy back on Morelock, I thought that Heyman promo was absolute garbage. It served no purpose other than to get Brock and Heyman over, it talked about how wrestling is fake and Brock is real, and it was more than a little racist. If Roman was feuding with the Authority and HHH had cut this promo, this thread would be 5 additional pages of people talking about how much of a burial it was. Hell, if the roles were reversed, and someone cut a promo talking about how Heyman's conniving Jew ancestors made him in to the manager he is today, people would be up in arms. But Paul Heyman is a historically good promo and ran a cool promotion 20 years ago so he gets a pass, I guess? I think this one was a misstep. 

• Like 2

There's a line between making heelish remarks and racist comments. Heyman crossed that line last night and there's no defending it unless you're one of those people who think that it would make for a clever angle by throwing a basketball into the ring to distract the New Day. It's 2015 and calling people "savages" and the like does not fly.

Isn't the whole samoan thing just part of wrestling mythology? Who in their right mind would think that people of polynesian descent, are wild savage cannibals? And I'm not saying that because I would view someone who held that belief to be  stupid. I'm saying that because I don't think a single person outside of a few 7 year olds who got ahold of Dad's VHS collection of WWF programming from the late 80s/early 90s would actually think that.  

Do we have to take everything so seriously?

• Like 5

Isn't the whole samoan thing just part of wrestling mythology? Who in their right mind would think that people of polynesian descent, are wild savage cannibals? And I'm not saying that because I would view someone who held that belief to be stupid. I'm saying that because I don't think a single person outside of a few 7 year olds who got ahold of Dad's VHS collection of WWF programming from the late 80s/early 90s would actually think that.

Do we have to take everything so seriously?

No one would think that except people who are looking to be offended. Jesus Christ, the guy is in kayfabe and real life in a family with a team called "The Wild Samoans"! This is ridiculous.

• Like 3

Guys, stop playing around with that Durst song.  Let it end.  No one wants a replay of the tragic James Brolin music festival riots of 2002.

WHY DID YOU CHARGE SO MUCH FOR BOTTLED WATER, JAMES BROLIN??????

And let's not even bring up the tragedy that occurred when it was retooled for the Midwestern Proctologist's convention in 2005.

HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING?????

Isn't the whole samoan thing just part of wrestling mythology? Who in their right mind would think that people of polynesian descent, are wild savage cannibals? And I'm not saying that because I would view someone who held that belief to be  stupid. I'm saying that because I don't think a single person outside of a few 7 year olds who got ahold of Dad's VHS collection of WWF programming from the late 80s/early 90s would actually think that.

It would be really cool if racism didn't exist and people didn't hold ass-backwards beliefs about ethnic groups, but regardless of how surprised you might be about it, that is not the case.

Heyman said racist things that have no business on television in 2015. Racist gimmicks being around 30 years ago aren't an excuse for that kind of talk.

• Like 3

Bad guys hold vile beliefs in all sorts of media; I'm not sure why wrestling should be different. I suppose that an argument is that the audience might actually not see those beliefs as bad things, but you could make the argument that any audience could misconstrue or find strength in the ideas or words of someone who is supposed to be a bad guy no matter the form of media or art. 

• Like 1

The Rock went on Opie and Anthony years ago. One of the guys they had in studio ran a web site that had racist jokes about the Rock. Something like because the Rock is half black and half Samoan he doesn't know whether to eat or steal.  Rock said I'm not staying with this guy here. Opie and Anthony backed him and the Rock walked. Some people just don't like being on the receiving end of racially disparaging remarks.

• Like 1

The Rock went on Opie and Anthony years ago. One of the guys they had in studio ran a web site that had racist jokes about the Rock. Something like because the Rock is half black and half Samoan he doesn't know whether to eat or steal.  Rock said I'm not staying with this guy here. Opie and Anthony backed him and the Rock walked. Some people just don't like being on the receiving end of racially disparaging remarks.

I understand that. The difference is that this dude in your example was just an asshole telling shitty bigoted jokes, not a guy who is playing a bad guy shithead character specifically on television. 

I mean, I don't mean to downplay people that are uncomfortable with a character being bigoted, but since bad people are bigoted in real life all the time, I think it ends up reinforcing that Heyman's character is not to be cheered for more than anything. Other viewers have their own baggage they bring to the broadcast and may construe it more negatively, but that's on them and not on the character. 

• Like 2

If you google Samoan savage, every link on the first few pages pertain to someone from the Anoaʻi family tree. This is not a widely held stereotype an ethnic group is trying to move past. This is wrestling.

There are enough Samoans in prominent places in the industry that if anyone was offended we'd know about it.

• Like 2