DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Random Bullshit 3-9-15

MGFanJay

I thought the gist of Sting's video was "WCW died because of people like the Authority and I don't want that to happen again", not "WCW died because of Triple H and I want vengeance."

But I didn't see it, I'm just going by the PWInsider recap.

• Like 1

Why the fuck don't you go with "Sting is tired of The Authority's shit" and keep it as simple as possible? 

And Reigns is turning into Lex Luger circa 1993 in a hurry. It's too bad we don't have Daniel Bryan playing Bret Hart to Lesnar's Yokozuna. 

They don't do "simple as possible". If they did, Randy Orton would've RKO'd Seth outta nowhere rather than a few weeks of "pretend to be in the Authority" BS. They;d have moved Bryan into a blood feud with whoever eliminated him at the Rumble instead of letting him linger over Reigns' head.

I thought the gist of Sting's video was "WCW died because of people like the Authority and I don't want that to happen again", not "WCW died because of Triple H and I want vengeance."

But I didn't see it, I'm just going by the PWInsider recap.

That's how I took it.

• Like 1

So they're officially going with Sting's motivation for showing up is that he wants revenge for WCW dying 14 years ago, and he holds HHH (was he even at the top of the card at that point?) responsible?  Last week when HHH "fired" Booker, I thought for a second Booker was going to go into his "Tell me you did not just say that!"

I thought the same thing, but then I remembered that NO BABYFACE IN WWE HAS A SPINE and the only person who will stand up to The Authority (outside of John Cena) is Sting. Its frustrating to see that WWE can just make MINOR tweaks to its programming and it would be much more interesting. Booker T calling HHH a Sucka and getting some shots in leading to the mainevent of the evening would have been a surprise and pretty awesome. But nope...just Book silently grabbing his things and leaving....and then returning when HHH says so.

I guess that is my main issue with WWE right now (and for some time). stuffing instead of potatoes needs a massive overhaul, but even if Vince and company are 100% against doing it- they still can make the little adjustments that would mean so much. Booker T challenging HHH, Orton coming back and RKO'ing everyone in sight until he gets Rollins at WM, and maybe even something stupid like Honky Tonk Man trying to get his name in the IC Ladder Match in order to cement his name as the all time IC great.

• Like 1

This was a tough RAW to get through.

I did like the tag match/diva match/tag match happening right after another. That should happen more often, but to matches that don't involve Bullfighters and a Hobo Gospel Choir.

I like Sting's reasoning for wanting to take out Triple H. Voice over was incredibly lame though.

I LOVE the Wyatt vs Taker build. Bray looking into the urn in sheer terror and then laughing was my favorite part of RAW.

Rusev vs Cena should be the main event at this point.

I liked the flow of things tonight. One match flowed into another. Every story nicely bridged into the next. It worked well. Jesus Christ what is happening with the trading of wins between The Usos/Naomi and Kidd/Ceasaro/Neidhart. Its fucking crazy. These motherfuckers have been trading wins prior to FastLane. SURELY they can't be building to a WM pre-show match. Why would anyone care at this point? Its been even steven and the crowd reaction for the padt couple of weeks tells me that people don't give a shit at all.

Two weeks in a row that the challenger for the WWE Championship has been background noise in the buildup for Rollins/Orton.

You're all correct - Rollins has to be cashing in, or maybe Brock just retains and Sting/HHH goes on last.

I must be from bizarro world (Well I am Canadian), because I totally enjoyed this show again.

-The opening promo was pretty funny, I thought.  I also liked the way Mercury had nothing to say to Orton, so Orton had nothing to say about him.

-I enjoyed the IC Title mess, and getting Truth back on the mic more often is always good.  I liked him being genuinely bummed when JBL accused him of being a thief.  I would have liked the belt switcheroo better if Barrett had opened the bag and it had been full of potatoes.

-I actually kind of liked the way the matches bled into one another tonight, like Ambrose coming out for the IC mess, then staying in the ring because he's in the next match.

-I'm not as stoked on the Heyman promo as most.  Like it was a good promo, but the "one generation from cannibalism" and I think he even used the word "savage" was bullshit that should not be in promos in 2014.  I know Heyman is the IWC golden boy, and it was a good promo otherwise, but can you imagine the hatred that would be flowing if Cena had delivered those aforementioned lines.  I actually kinda thought that was why his mic was cut at first, like someone backstage said "Quick cut his mic before he starts talking about coconuts".

-Ryback/Rowan-Kane/Show was nothing, although I thought the missed punch looked really good, like he did legitimately miss, not like the way it's usually so bad that you're not sure if he was intentionally hitting him and turning face/heel that we usually get.  Steph's post-match promo was whatever.  I must say she has the most fascinating body shape.  Like her arms are huge, but her shoulders aren't wide, but her ass is huge, but her waist is slim.  Seriously, fascinating.

-I missed the Wiz performance, but at least he looked really excited to be there.

-The worst, WORST, thing about WWE TV in 2014, to me, is the wholly inorganic way they try to shoehorn other things they've involved in in the show.  That segment with Nikki and Brie watching themselves from the Flintstones while wearing matching Flintstone-inspired outfits then closing with "Yabadadoo"  was the worst.  Just the worst.

-AJ-Summer was nothing much.  After watching AJ's last two matches in WWE, I really get the feeling she is the worst of the "worker" divas in WWE.  She's definitely not as good as Paige, nor Brie or Nikki, I'd probably put Natalya above her, Summer Rae, Emma, and Naomi (Not including the other ones like Eva, Cameron, Rosa who aren't really wrestlers at this point).  She looks really clumsy, uninspired.  Just flat-out bad.

-The Cena-Rusev stuff was awesome.  I'm sad that Curtis Axel lost.  It actually probably would have gotten over huge, if he had gotten choked out, then had the match reversed due to post-match stuff so he could say he held a DQ win over Rusev.

-Bray-Undertaker was silly but fun.  I was washing dishes while it was on and kept popping my head around the corner to see if Undertaker would actually show up.  I laughed really hard when at the end of the segment they had a graphic up to advertise the main event and imagined a producers arguing "Okay put up the graphic for the main" "We don't have time to show a graphic, LIGHTNING just shout out of the sky and set a rocking chair on fire! We need to clear out of this arena now!
-I enjoyed the three matches bleeding one into the other.  I feel like New Day is close to something.  Last week on Smackdown when they were out and the two black guys at ringside were dancing to the music, it was so good.  Tonight was quiet, but I feel like Big E. is getting better at delivering promos.  Didn't really care for their finish, though, it was too convoluted.  I'd like to see them just do a the Big Ending, followed by a Boom Drop, and keep Xavier outside.

-Nattie-Naomi was fun even if I really don't understand how Naomi's finish is supposed to hurt anyone.  I mean, even Mark Sanchez popped back up after the butt fumble, and that was a considerably larger ass than Naomi's.

-Matadors-Usos was fun, and I like the idea of the Matadors going more heel.  I've been wondering when the Usos are going to kill themselves on their spectacularly dangerous and out-of-control dives and the answer was almost March 9th.

-I thought the main was awesome, and Orton's double-bird was the biggest Raw pop I've heard in a while.  I didn't hear the crowd turn on it at all, either, unlike what I've seen mentioned here.  They were still crazy into every chairshot, popped for the DDT, popped HUGE for the set-up to the RKO, and popped even huger for the table.  Also, that was an insane lawn dart bump that Seth took into the chairs and it totally reminded me of this from '22 Jump Street'

screen-shot-2014-06-26-at-1-39-02-pm.png

• Like 3

The rumor for the last couple of weeks is that Taker won't show up until match time.  Why, I have no idea.

They've really had the law of diminishing returns with Undertaker at WM over the past few years.  As hokey as the setup for his match with HHH was, at least he was around and somewhat actively promoting it for a few months before the actual event.  With the Punk match, announced Taker would be at Raw and saying/doing something when Punk called him out.  Then last year there was pretty much no mention of Taker until Brock called him out.  This year there's even less mention of him or speculation on what he might be doing, then Bray decides to call him out.  

Pedantic post:  Brock didn't call him out.  Brock demanded a world title match, didn't get it, was offered a match against anyone he wanted, Heyman cut a promo about how Brock refused to wrestle anyone else, that Brock just wasn't going to show up for Mania, GONG Taker comes out, Brock signs, Taker jabs the pen through his hand and chokeslams his through the table.  Then Heyman spent a few weeks cutting masterful promos on how great the Streak was and how Brock was going to end it.

• Like 2

Ok, was there like an east coast and west coast Sting video shown? Cuz this is approaching white-and-gold vs blue-and-black levels of whatthefuckery. The video I saw made it clear that Sting's motivation was to not allow what brought down WCW to bring down WWE (assuming that The Authority is ~ Bischoff's nWo). It's "revenge" in the fact that it was a couple of HHH's friends who started that whole thing, but it's more about saving the good.

For all the jokes about Super-Cena, it's Sting that's Superman. WCW=Krypton, WWE=Earth, HHH=Lex Luthor...I clearly need sleep.

Heyman should say "I know wrestling Samoans. I've managed wrestling Samoans. They're big, strong, tough, crazy, impervious to pain and completely devoid of fear. I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl." I'd stay away from "savages."

Screens - 

CHRIS BENOIT IS INNOCENT! in 2015.

68fdbf395999123.jpg

Serial season 2. Right there.

Koenig: "I want to believe Chris was innocent. I really do. He seems too nice to be a killer. But then I remember the Chavo call."

• Like 2

Terrible show and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this year's Mania. But I did like the Sting video & think that is the one angle - outside Brock's half of the main event - they're building up well or at least pretty coherently.

And I didn't think they had someone else do his voice over - I thought he was just using a voice changer like Oliver on "Arrow." When I heard the voice my first thought was, "Boy they're really going all in on this Vigilante gimmick."

I keep hearing how great Orton is. Why don't i fucking see it? His promos blow. He's plodding. His matches are predictable. "Out of nowhere" = "contrived". I hear others say that he's one of the best in the world so much and think I must not understand pro wrestling.

He's streaky.  His 2011 run was fantastic (granted he spent it feuding with Christian and Mark Henry for a big chunk of the year, so that helps)  His WWE title run that kicked off this whole Authority thing was fascinating in that he kept having great tv matches, and then failing to deliver on ppv.  But he's stale, his act is even more rooted in place than Cena's, and crowds massively stopped giving a shit about him during that last big title run, and only started to again when Rollins took him out and he missed 4 months.

He had really fun runs with Sheamus and Barrett too where they just beat the shit out of each other. His biggest problem to me essentially is that the lazy shitty writers in creative think that "THE APEX PREDATOR THE VIPUH!" sells itself and haven't given him anything remotely interesting to do or say since he was still the Legend Killer...

I think Vince left a LOT of money on the table and not run with the whole Vine thing, and having the build up to Orton's return be random RKO OUTTA NOWHERE!! in public. or backstage, or something. They could've teased his return that way and the crowd would've been going out of their minds.

It's a damn shame.

• Like 3

So I wasn't bothered about watching this because I thought it'd be garbage. Then I come on here and read about it, and most of you say it was garbage. So I watch it to see if it really was garbage, and it was.

What is wrong with me? Please help.

I can't believe this is a build to Wrestlemania.

• Like 2

I keep forgetting New Day exist and then when I see them for just a moment I wonder if I missed a Smackdown where they started, like, an American Gladiators invasion angle.

I think there really was an American Gladiators invasion angle somewhere, I vaguely remember one from my youth.   They invaded some other show.