DVDVR Message Board

UFC 185: Pettis vs. Dos Anjos (3/14/2015) - Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_185_Pettis_vs._dos_Anjos_Poster.jpg?

UFC 185: Pettis vs. Dos Anjos

March 14, 2015

Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

UFC Lightweight Championship: Anthony Pettis © (155) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (155) (second defense) - Dos Anjos, DEC (unanimous)

UFC Women's Strawweight Championship: Carla Esparza (115) vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk (115) (first defense) - Jędrzejczyk, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:17)

Johny Hendricks (170) vs. Matt Brown (171) - Hendricks, DEC (unanimous)

Roy Nelson (254) vs. Alistair Overeem (247) - Overeem, DEC (unanimous)

Chris Cariaso (126) vs. Henry Cejudo (125) - Cejudo, DEC (unanimous)

FX Preliminary Card:

Ross Pearson (156) vs. Sam Stout (156) - Pearson, KO (punches), R2 (1:33)

Elias Theodorou (186) vs. Roger Narvaez (186) - Theodorou, TKO (punches), R2 (4:07)

Daron Cruickshank (157)* vs. Beneil Dariush (156) - Dariush, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:48)

Jared Rosholt (245) vs. Josh Copeland (264) - Rosholt, TKO (elbows and punches), R3 (3:12)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Sergio Pettis (126) vs. Ryan Benoit (126) - Benoit, TKO (punches), R2 (1:34)

Jake Lindsey (156) vs. Joseph Duffy (156) - Duffy, TKO (head kick and punches), R1 (1:47)

Larissa Pacheco (136) vs. Germaine de Randamie (136) - De Randamie, TKO (strikes), R2 (2:02)

*Reweighed after weighing 157.5 on first attempt; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Beneil Dariush

Performance of the Night: Ross Pearson

Performance of the Night: Joanna Jędrzejczyk

Performance of the Night: Rafael dos Anjos

Attendance: 17,160

Gate: $2.155 million

Buyrate: 275,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Joseph Duffy vs. Vagner Rocha - Injury to Rocha

Joanna got one of the biggest responses during the "Welcome to the Show" presser, and all she said was a couple of sentences. People know who she is.

Plus, she beat the defacto number 1 contender in a title eliminator. This is her rightful shot at the title.

Looking forward to the Top 4 fights on the main card and will probably try to convince my buddies to go to a Sports Bar for the PPV.

Just so I know going into Saturday do I get credit if Carla loses the belt like I predicted or does my sweet JoJo have to win the title?

I like Matt Brown for reasons I can't explain since he usually fits the profile of someone I'd loathe, but WAR FUCKIN' JOHNY HENDRICKS. Win this fight and get your title back.

Guest Edwin

Great main card and prelims like Pearson/Stout, Cruickshank/Dariush and Little Pettis/Benoit are going to be nuts.

Surprised they didn't push Little Pettis to the main card or at least the televised prelims.

Re: Sergio still being on Fight Pass

I think the UFC is trying to have recognizable headliners for both the Fox prelims and Fight Pass prelims platform when it comes to regular Fox & PPV. If he was on a non-loaded FS1 Fight Night, then he would probably be as high as third from the top. It's an incentive to tune in as early as possible.

The one fight/Wilson Reis vs. somebody on Fight Pass days are pretty much done with on those cards.

I'm excited to see this go down. I am a bit bummed about Carla playing the 'lack of promotion' card as its just simply not true. I have seen her title fight on all UFC promotional material for this upcoming card. I know she was 'joking' about going blonde, but I honestly believe that she thinks that if she were white and blonde then she would have the stuff Ronda and Paige have. The 'lack 'of media attention has less to do with Carla's hair color, and more to do with the first impression she made on UFC fans in the TUF house. The boring style coupled with the way her personality was edited to portray a catty side, did not endear her to the fans or the marketers.

I don't even think it's her style or how she looks. I am not saying she has to play the game or not say anything as to not appear jealous, but she has to recognize how things are going to play out initially. She literally went from not being able to fight in a major promotion a few years ago (when Bellator pretty much ditched female MMA all together) to fighting in a co-main on a stacked UFC card when the promotion is gaining some momentum. This would be the perfect time to show why you shouldn't be ignored. I think she's kinda haphazardly being shortsighted about this situation, and that could come back to bite her if she loses this weekend. Hell, I'm pretty sure it will come back to haunt her if Joanna wins.

Guest Edwin

I am a bit bummed about Carla playing the 'lack of promotion' card as its just simply not true.

It is true. Despite being a champ, she doesn't really get treated like one, but that's understandable for a lot of reasons.

The boring style coupled with the way her personality was edited to portray a catty side, did not endear her to the fans or the marketers.

The thing is, she used the same style Big Country did when he was on TUF. That style isn't exactly exciting, but it's a smart style to fight with to win TUF and remain injury.

It didn't endear to the marketers because the marketers were pushing for Rose to win and they didn't get what they wanted.

I am a bit bummed about Carla playing the 'lack of promotion' card as its just simply not true.

It is true. Despite being a champ, she doesn't really get treated like one, but that's understandable for a lot of reasons.

For clarification, can we actually quantify what being treated like a champion actually means? Are we talking mostly tangible or intangible stuff?

Rafael dos Anjos arrived in Dallas at 174 pounds.  I get there is a whole science and method to weight cutting, but that sounds insane.

https://youtu.be/EA36-Kc3HSU

I like Joanna's personality more and more each time I see her.

You'll notice that with Dos Anjos is George Lockhart, the man who has the unenviable task of getting Cyborg down to 135. And to be fair, Pettis was 169, They are both fairly tall for lightweight. Thus, I am not exactly surprised that both arrived in Dallas around that weight range.

Rafael dos Anjos arrived in Dallas at 174 pounds.  I get there is a whole science and method to weight cutting, but that sounds insane.

https://youtu.be/EA36-Kc3HSU

I like Joanna's personality more and more each time I see her.

You'll notice that with Dos Anjos is George Lockhart, the man who has the unenviable task of getting Cyborg down to 135. And to be fair, Pettis was 169, They are both fairly tall for lightweight. Thus, I am not exactly surprised that both arrived in Dallas around that weight range.

That's still five pounds less, and at lightweight that difference can be huge.

The Rio card next is one that didn't hold up, but that was suppose to a smaller, "get people fights" card anyway. They really can't throw good cards at the biggest markets in Brazil until the domestic talent really starts producing again. Even though Brazil is a huge market for them, they may end up scaling the number of cards back the same way they did for Canada (went from 8 cards originally to 3 this year IIRC).

The guys who usually bail those cards out (sans Pezao who may be on his way out) will be fighting on numbered PPV cards like this instead of numbered Fight Nights at some humid Brazilian gym.

• Like 1